• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
This is such a great idea, having everything in the one place, especially with the inability of Search to look for a single jacket type.

Hopefully it can become like those threads on The Long Fedora, they have that amazing Irvin saga that dates back to the early 18th Century.

Here's the A-1 at Real McCoy, with a shirt collar, and concealed buttons. Pictures taken by Bevan .....

A-1-5a.jpg

A-1-5b.jpg

zoomer

What that really is is an A-2 with a covered-button front! The collar, epaulets, snap pockets...all characteristically A-2. Neat look and very adaptable, say if you don't want to blouse the waist when seated.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was done now and then to A-2s as a field mod, say when a zipper broke and new ones weren't available, or on a privately purchased jacket. You could conceivably even have both a zipper AND buttons.

zoomer

Cmdr. Alger Dresel, skipper of dirigible Macon, 1934
(Possibly the only photo ever taken of an A-1 being worn in flight)
2369669255_9848529a9c_o.jpg

Gen. Benjamin Foulois, soon-to-be chief of the USAAC, ca. 1930
2370503038_362f13d8f0_o.jpg

Can anyone confirm that the Navy A-1 was olive green in color?
bseal's picture upthread with the baseball type collar looks like it might have had a green tinge, but has anybody seen color photos from the period?
The A-1-like cotton cord model 37J1, from 1932, was green - for what that's worth.
1477378290_9948953938_o.jpg

greyhound52

Hey Zoomer,

When the Macon crashed off the coast of California in 1935 or 36 my Dad was involved in the search and rescue of the sailors of the airship. Great photo.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
zoomer said:
Can anyone confirm that the Navy A-1 was olive green in color?
bseal's picture upthread with the baseball type collar looks like it might have had a green tinge, but has anybody seen color photos from the period?

The following appeared about 3 years ago, as a giant scan, on one of the early jacket forums, and I promptly 'saved' it.

Perhaps the original poster is still with us, and could tell you more ....

A-1spec.jpg

Andrew

deeb7 said:
bseal said:
Here's the Few in russet horsehide:

Vegetable/Chrome horsehide, Light Russet, Aniline Hand Coating, 2006/07 ...

FewA-1c.jpg

Dave, did you say you has sent this back to have the sleeves attacked? Wot's wrong with them? Too long for you? I see it tunneling a bit and I'm in agreement with you about that but otherwise looks really comfy from here...

Andrew

Charles Ulm and Sir Charles Kingsford Smith after the 82hr 1928 Pacific crossing. Civilian type A-1's which appear to be suede.

cks_crew_750.jpg

zoomer

Lieut. Richard Burke, USCG, 1935. Twice awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, Burke in 1933 performed the first air/sea rescue and went on to save many more lives.
Uniform_Burke_3.jpg

For another pic of Burke in flying kit (a B-1 winter jacket) see here.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Leadsky said:
Dave, did you say you has sent this back to have the sleeves attacked? Wot's wrong with them? Too long for you? I see it tunneling a bit and I'm in agreement with you about that but otherwise looks really comfy from here...

Yes, Andrew, just a little off the sleeve length.

This was the prototype/sample A-1, but they had made no changes to the pattern, other than lengthening the sleeves. Luckily it is my RM size of 42 (samples are usually made as 38's), so I borrowed it to try on.

I liked it so much, the fit was perfect, the horsehide was truly amazing, and it creaked ... the plan had been to make another, but they kindly agreed to sell the sample. :)

bseal

Doug had some custom creations made up. A lambskin one at Wested, the other, a vintage horsehide at U.S. Authentic:

Wested-DougCrooms.png

CroomscustomA1.png

bseal

Aero used to offer a civilian A-1 with a leather collar. . . I believe the same or similar design became the model for the one they made for LVC:

9ebe_1.jpg

bseal

Question for airfrogusmc, who's background is in photography -- of course it depends on lighting conditions, but what is the most accurate color for Aero's seal capeskin? If you look at Paddy / Hughes outside you would bet the jacket is almost black. On some of your close ups though it appears more dark chocolate in color. Your thoughts?

airfrogusmca-1front.jpg

airfrogusmca-1side.jpg

airfrogusmca-1shoulder.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
bseal said:
Aero used to offer a civilian A-1 with a leather collar. . . I believe the same or similar design became the model for the one they made for LVC:

Yep, here's the Aero/LVC ....

LVCAero.jpg

bseal

Simon Debrux said:
The Aeroleather cape A-1 I saw was a dark chocolate brown without any russet tints.

Of all the pictures uploaded so far, which to your eye is the closest in color then?

bseal

I believe Zoomer was asking the "green" question. It's probably just a civilian jacket from the approximately the same era but you never know . . .

ODa-1-2.jpg
ODa-1back.jpg

oda-1closeuo.jpg

bseal

Another shot of a jacket from a young, startup company. Pretty close color match to the original.

SuitUp.jpg
front_view_flat_A-1_2nd.jpg

Simon Debrux

Another OD A-1?

Hard to tell from these pictures whether it's olive drab or just dingy and I have no idea whether it's issue or civilian but it does have a nice cat on the back!

catA1a.jpg

CatA1b.jpg

CatA1c.jpg

CatA1d.jpg