• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anything and Everything A-1

zoomer

That's not a nice cat.

380707006_14658f9587.jpg

THIS is a nice cat. :D

zoomer

airfrogusmc said:
Tacos anyone? Tastes just like chicken...
sep18_angry_cat.jpg

I got yer chicken right here, pal.

Obligatory A-1 pic: Willis & Geiger "Contract 10048" modeled by yers truly.
(10048 was the zip code of the World Trade Center. :shock: Dunno whether W&G had an office there or not.)
2373745565_514ecd6373.jpg

zoomer

That's not a bong.

pummerin.jpg

THIS is a bong.

Bong1b.jpg

This is another Bong.

What I have is just a high class hookah. Yes, I pay for sax.
hookahGirl.jpg

Obligatory A-1 pic:
OT375941S.jpg

Sorry. Out of jackets.

zoomer

2 pix from the book Aviation in the U.S. Army 1919-1939:
2378900331_35ea397576_o.jpg

A-1s with the traditional Army breeches 'n boots were quite dashing. By 1930 the AAC had largely abandoned the look - only Patton ever wore an A-2 with breeches.
Even in the 20s a looseness of uniform prevailed in the flying ranks - notice the officer in Class A's, surely a very dark olive color rather than the WWI-type mustard greens.

2378900295_cc80fc5393_o.jpg

Question Mark story here. It's a big deal keeping a plane airborne for a week at a time even today - in 1929 it boggled the mind.
Spaatz was filler pipe officer and more than once was drenched. But they got supplies on ropes - hot meals, clean skivvies, even a tin tub to bathe in. And the A-1 was there.
9.jpg

L.L. Bean catalog, fall, 1933. The "Cape Leather Blouse" in Champagne Tan is all leather, has side buckles and a "Cossack style collar." It's $8.50. And it's washable!
2378866553_8fc41016ac.jpg

zoomer

Whoa nellie, does that look like a swell way to travel. Info on car? jacket? driver???

zoomer

impressive...

Now late 'Bay news:
Someone paid dang near the price for brand new on this US Authentic A-1.
(I know this 'cause I took the retail price and subtracted $50 for my high bid.)

Now why would these be worth nearly as much (or more?!) pre-owned from Joe Blow than straight from Shaul and fitted to your request?
Is it the promise of a little bit of break-in character?
Or just the competitive drive to Win It? After all, any moax with 4 bills to spend can order one. No challenge there.

Get me that red job up there and my competitive drive will be satisfied for life.

sgbailey2002

2378900295_cc80fc5393_o.jpg

Question Mark story here. It's a big deal keeping a plane airborne for a week at a time even today - in 1929 it boggled the mind.
Spaatz was filler pipe officer and more than once was drenched. But they got supplies on ropes - hot meals, clean skivvies, even a tin tub to bathe in. And the A-1 was there.
9.jpg

A little side note:
I own the propellor off Spaatz SE5 from WWI, it is on display at an air museum in CA. Has a silver plaque on it with the info. My Grandfather got it in the 30's.

Back to A-1's, it's the only jacket I don't have yet, will go good with my 1930 Chevy truck.

SGB