• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Tails

A

Anonymous

This A-2 looks great

redtails.jpg

Anyone has any idea what make/model/contract no it is?
John?

johnwayne

Is this a 'still' from the actual film or a chance pic someone took on set? Does look good if not all a bit too new, clean and crisp for what would be a late war scene - am I just being picky? Probably!!! See the earlier post in this section - it's a Goodwear, as are all from the movie and I'm sure some VLJ member will know what contract the jacket is based on, if any, poss just a 'generic' A2 style, due to cost and production timing issues. John Chapman (Mr Goodwear!) views this site form time to time, I believe, so may even respond himself!!

Much looking foward to this film!!

Wayne

Swing

johnwayne said:
Does look good if not all a bit too new, clean and crisp for what would be a late war scene - am I just being picky? Probably!!!

Looks war time correct to me. The arms should be wrinkled, and a little finish wear here and there, but the only part I'd expect to be ratty on a wartime jacket would be the cuffs.

~Swing

A

Anonymous

There are 2 type A-2 in the picture look to the back for the other one .John told me that all the A-2s were based on actual contracts and are not all the same ,he made many jackets for the film .My guess it is a Bronco A-2.

All the best Jeff

Dr H

Can't...quite...make out the pocket details (no matter how much I squint) :roll:. With those pocket flaps and collar my money is on a Doniger ;) ...or is that a DuBow :?

oose

Hi all,

Here is a nice shot, I like the one nearest with the P-51 painted on the front.

tuskegee1.jpg

332ndFighterBriefing1945.jpg

yours stu

Chandler

Shall we talk about the cuffs on that (repro) B-10? :roll:

They might have kitted that guy out in a size (or 2) smaller.

And where you been Platon? This has been the talk of the forum for a little while now.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3738

Chandler

wop54

johnwayne said:
Is this a 'still' from the actual film or a chance pic someone took on set?
Wayne
To me it's a chance pic, for the following reasons:
1) the red wall is too new and fresh painted not really a southern Italy village in the mid 40's house wall
2) the drainpipe in the roof on the right is too modern
3) too many cables (telephone...etc) between the houses

Chandler

wop54 said:
To me it's a chance pic,

Take a look here: http://www.kamuiweb.com/news-3105-hyper ... rnage.html[/quote]

for the following reasons:
1) the red wall is too new and fresh painted not really a southern Italy village in the mid 40's house wall
2) the drainpipe in the roof on the right is too modern
3) too many cables (telephone...etc) between the houses

Cables? Aren't those laundry lines? :D

But seriously, 2 things -- that may not be the "set" side of the filming, all of the actors appear pretty relaxed. And second, haven't you ever heard of CG? In post-production, things that "aren't meant to be" are erased out, and color, texture, lighting get tweaked. A lot.

Chandler

Chandler

oose said:

Great images. A couple things I note -- interesting use of M-1 Carbine cartridge pouches for M1911 magazines. Or maybe those are some late-issue .45 pouches? All the items I own are hard weave web with one pull-the-dot snap.

Also, do you suppose that flyer got tired of his tunneling cuffs on his B-10? ;)

Chandler

wop54

Cables? Aren't those laundry lines? :D

Chandler[/quote]

Laundry lines run from a window to another (i mean, not if we are talking about Spiderman's flat laundry lines :D )
Out of joke, I heard of CG, and think that you are probably right even though we must consider that Southern Italy's small villages are full of spot with no or less need of CG...

Andrew

I'm looking forward to this one too for all the obvious reasons, as a teaser there are some amateur clips of Redtails and B-17 flybys on youtube worth checking out.

photo.jpg

The thing that occured to me about the pic is the way the actors are wearing their crushers. They just appear to me to be worn by guys who aren't accustomed to weating this type of headgear on a daily basis and look like they're perched or squashed on their heads as opposed to a relaxed flopped back look of a crusher. Just being picky but i'm sure this is a candid pic and it'll be totally ironed out in the flick.

Well done John!

Andrew

oose said:
Few more shots from Czech...

IMG_8187.jpg

Interesting collection of flight gear, aside from the mainly standard AAF gear a nice mixture of some RAF kit thrown in, such as '41 pattern boots with ankle straps, '41 pattern mae wests, Early and normal pattern type C helmets, a Type E helmet (khaki), one guy appears to have MkVIII goggles and another in the middle is a bit wierd having what looks like a Fleet Air Arm type C helmet (doughnut earpiece holders).

They appear to have used originals as (most of these types are late war anyway and can easily be found on Ebay) aside from the 41 pattern mae wests I don't know of any repro makers of the rest.

I know it was common practice for Fighter pilots to upgrade their gear to that of other forces if they felt it performed better, and for some it was a hangover from the ES days, but does anyone know if there was there any more connection between these guys and the RAF? Perhaps they had problems sourcing US gear from stores?

It's going to look great on the bigscreen.

Chandler

wop54 said:
...even though we must consider that Southern Italy's small villages are full of spot with no or less need of CG...

But that would put the CG department on the street! ;)

Seriously, those small villages might be too small to accommodate production.

Anyone know why the P-40 is in the film? I know the Airmen weren't flying P-51s at first, were they piloting P-40s?

Chandler

Swing

Chandler said:
oose said:

Great images. A couple things I note -- interesting use of M-1 Carbine cartridge pouches for M1911 magazines. Or maybe those are some late-issue .45 pouches? All the items I own are hard weave web with one pull-the-dot snap.

Also, do you suppose that flyer got tired of his tunneling cuffs on his B-10? ;)

Chandler

???? The many to the left in the photo has a flight suit on over his B-10, that's why the cuffs aren't showing.

~Swing