• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Red Tails

Swing

Leadsky said:
I know it was common practice for Fighter pilots to upgrade their gear to that of other forces if they felt it performed better, and for some it was a hangover from the ES days, but does anyone know if there was there any more connection between these guys and the RAF? Perhaps they had problems sourcing US gear from stores?

It's going to look great on the bigscreen.

Was very common for units before summer '44 to be issued RAF flight gear (gloves, helmets, boots) in the ETO and MTO. I have a book written by an original member of the 355 FG, and he specifically mentioned the entire group being issued RAF escape boots and flight helmets shortly after their arrival, replacing their US gear. The mix of gear in the photo looks good to me, but maybe a few too many RAF Mea Wests.

~Swing

Chandler

Swing said:
The man to the left in the photo has a flight suit on over his B-10, that's why the cuffs aren't showing.

Ahh, that explains it. I didn't think I'd ever seen a (issue) flight suit with a fur collar.

Chandler

Chandler

Swing said:
Yes, IIRC, from late '43 through April or May '44.

That makes more sense than North Africa -- that P-40 doesn't look like it's parked in N. Africa.

Chandler

johnwayne

All this aside, has anyone seen the version starring Laurence Fishburn and I think, Cuba Gooding Jr? Cant recall the title and not sure if it was 'a made for TV film' as I've seen bits of it on Sky TV and never managed to see the whole thing!! Can only be few years old? Apologies too if this has cropped up on ealrier 'Red tails/Tuskegee' related chats?
Incidentally, I had the honour of taking pics of some of the 'real' guys a couple of years ago at Flying Legends - I really felt quite humble I must admit.

Wayne

johnwayne

Anyone particulary interested in the P40 should get the latest Flypast where it's featured along with the owners other planes. Had the pleasure of seeing it fly this past weekend at Biggin Hill airshow - resplendent in the same livery as it appears in the film!

It was good day (and far too hot give the A2's an airing) but no where near as good as I expect Flying Legends to be next month!!

Wayne

handworn

Chandler said:
oose said:
332ndFighterBriefing1945.jpg

Great images. A couple things I note -- interesting use of M-1 Carbine cartridge pouches for M1911 magazines. Or maybe those are some late-issue .45 pouches? All the items I own are hard weave web with one pull-the-dot snap.

Also, do you suppose that flyer got tired of his tunneling cuffs on his B-10? ;)

Chandler

That's a M1918 .45 pouch, as shown also by the rounded flap.