• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few A-2's from the collection

JGC

Hi, my name is Jon, and I've been collecting WWII Army Aircorps for about 35 years. This is my first post on this forum and thought I'd share a few of my A-2's with you. This first jacket belonged to Lt Roland Short, a bombardier on a B-29. The last photo is Lt Short actually wearing this jacket. Thanks Jon
MVC-879S.jpg

MVC-880S.jpg

MVC-881S.jpg

MVC-889S.jpg

JGC

This 2nd jacket is double patched to the 729th and 731st bomb squadrons. The name tag was in the pocket but I couldn't make out the name. The name of the bomber was the Liberty Run, the cloud on the back is actually a piece of sewn on leather. As I get time I'll add more of my jackets to the thread. Thanks Jon
MVC-873S.jpg

MVC-874S.jpg

MVC-875S.jpg

MVC-876S.jpg

MVC-877S.jpg

John Lever

Welcome to the Forum. You obviously have quite a collection and I'm sure you will get to know many like minded people here.
Do you own any other types of jacket ?

Grant

Hey Jon,
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting photos of a couple of beautiful A-2's. I really like the simple white line art work on Dream Girl. Is the spec label still attached? If so, who is the maker and what contract is it?

Looking forward to seeing photos of other stuff in your collection.

JGC

John and Grant, thanks for the welcome. As requested here is the tag on the Dream Girl jacket. Jon
MVC-054S.jpg

JGC

This jacket belonged to Wilber Gooder of the 461st bomb group, attached to the 15th AAF. I received this jacket from Mrs. Gooder after Wilber passed away. I asked her if her first name was Ann, since that was the name on the back of the jacket. She indicated that her name was not Ann, that the name and the pin-up on the back of the jacket was Ann Rooney, a Hollywood starlet that had visited her husbands base during a USO show. This is one of my favorite jackets, I hope you enjoy this one as much as I do. Jon
MVC-867S.jpg

MVC-868S.jpg

MVC-869S.jpg

MVC-870S.jpg

MVC-871S.jpg

MVC-872S.jpg

MVC-891S.jpg

Roughwear

Welcome to the forum Jon. Thank you for sharing some of your collection. I particularly like the painting of Ann and the B-17 on the most recent jacket you have posted. It's just superb.

atkins

I'm in love with "Ann"...hot damn! Thanks and welcome Jon, finally i found photos of close up yellow bomb on that right chest. Gonna need it someday

Atkins

JGC

Again, thank you all for the welcome to this forum. This next A-2 is named to Lt H.W. Agan, he flew P-38's with the 339th Fighter Squadron. This is the outfit that was given the task of intercepting Japanese Admiral Yamamoto's plane and shooting it down. If anyone has information on the patch on the left breast, I'd be interested in finding out if this is a Group or Squadron patch. Thanks Jon
MVC-882S.jpg

MVC-884S.jpg

MVC-883S.jpg

JGC

Thought I'd post another A-2 from the collection. This jacket is named to Lt M.W. Walton, he was a B-26 (Widow Maker) pilot stationed in Italy. He was a member of the 17th Bomb Group of the 42nd Bomb Wing. Lt Walton flew 58 missions during WWII, and later flew A-26's during the Korean War. The back of the jacket lists all the missions that he flew during WWII, both the location and the type of target is listed. The very last thing listed on the back of the jacket says "April 26, 1945 Last mission of the war, Amen". The jacket is a little ruff, the waist and cuffs had been replaced at sometime. I hope you like this jacket as much as I do. Jon
MVC-285S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-001S-1.jpg

MVC-002S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

asiamiles

JGC said:
This 2nd jacket is double patched to the 729th and 731st bomb squadrons. The name tag was in the pocket but I couldn't make out the name. The name of the bomber was the Liberty Run, the cloud on the back is actually a piece of sewn on leather.
MVC-877S.jpg

Wonder if there was originally a plane painted on the back and the leather cloud was used to cover it up for some reason, or perhaps the jacket got damaged and this was an ingenious way of repairing it?

dujardin

hello,

welcome aboard, many thanks for sharing this with us, great collection.
also like ''Aan'' painting.
and also thinking it's a good idea to repair a damaged jacket with a leathear patch like this cloud.
by the way, where are you from ?

byebyeeeeeeeee
friendship from Belgium and keep posting some splendid photos

marcel