• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A few A-2's from the collection

JGC

This jacket is I.D.'ed to retired Lt Col Elwell McCray. McCray began his career piloting B-17's with the 772nd Bomb Squadron, 15th AAF during WWII. He later fly 211 missions in a C-54 transport during the Berlin Airlift. During the Korean war he piloted a B-29 with the 98th Bomb Wing, he retired in 1975. Its quite worn, but understandable when you think that he wore this jacket his entire combat career.
MVC-067S.jpg

MVC-069S.jpg

MVC-070S.jpg

MVC-071S.jpg

MVC-065S.jpg

MVC-099S.jpg

This picture is of McCray's WWII B-17 crew, he is in the 1st row, 2nd from left
MVC-101S.jpg

This is a picture of McCray in front of his B-29 during the Korean War

greyhound52

Yes I would say private purchase and with the photo of the jacket being worn gives it the authenticity that one would want.

Chandler

greyhound52 said:
Yes I would say private purchase and with the photo of the jacket being worn gives it the authenticity that one would want.

Was there a question of authenticity?

But since you bring it up, the picture you mention is supposed to be the Korean War. Curious.

Chandler

JGC

Chandler said:
greyhound52 said:

But since you bring it up, the picture you mention is supposed to be the Korean War. Curious.

Chandler
Hi Chandler, now I'm curious as to what your curious about? Please explain. Thanks Jon

A

Anonymous

JGC said:
Chandler said:
greyhound52 said:

Chandler
Hi Chandler, now I'm curious as to what your curious about? Please explain. Thanks Jon

Hi and I am curious to why your curious as to what Chandler is curious about !. :lol:

All the best jeff

Grant

Maybe I'm wrong but the engine cowls don't look like a B-29 - they look like a C-54 cowls.

Chandler

JGC said:

Since we're discussing whether or not the jacket is a private purchase item, I'm just wondering when it was purchased -- during WW2 or for his Korean tour? Are there pics of him wearing the jacket in WW2?

Chandler

JGC

Grant said:
Maybe I'm wrong but the engine cowls don't look like a B-29 - they look like a C-54 cowls.
You could be right, he flew C-54's during the Berlin airlift. The picture wasn't marked and I just assumed it was a B-29. I think I have another picture of him in front of his B-29, I'll try and look it up. Thanks Jon

JGC

Chandler said:
JGC said:

Since we're discussing whether or not the jacket is a private purchase item, I'm just wondering when it was purchased -- during WW2 or for his Korean tour? Are there pics of him wearing the jacket in WW2?

Chandler

Hi Chandler, I see what your saying. I believe the jacket is WWII, because it has the 772nd Bomb Squadron patch on the chest, and the 15th AAF patch on the sleeve. He probably still wore this jacket during the Berlin Airlift. I'm going to try and find the photo I have of him with his B-29 during the Korean war, I don't think he's wearing this jacket but we'll see. Thanks Jon

JGC

Well, I found a few more photos, 2 with this jacket that are either WWII or possibly Berlin Airlift. I also found a Korean war photo that is marked Yokota AFB, Japan, Oct 21, 1952. I need some help to ID the type of flight jacket hes wearing in this 3rd photo.
MVC-102S.jpg

MVC-103S.jpg

MVC-104S.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
JGC said:
I also found a Korean war photo that is marked Yokota AFB, Japan, Oct 21, 1952. I need some help to ID the type of flight jacket hes wearing in this 3rd photo.

The first nylon ... type B-15B.

JGC

These 2 jackets are named to the same airman, Joe Coady of the 396th Bomb Squadron. This squadron flew B-25's, and was the first group to fly off of Tarawa after the marines took the island from the Japanese. Its interesting to note that the A-2 is a size 44, but the B-10 is a size 40, both jackets were purchased directly from the Mr. Coady. Joe told me that he spent time in both the 7th and 5th air force while overseas.
MVC-055S.jpg

MVC-056S.jpg

MVC-057S.jpg

MVC-058S.jpg

MVC-107S.jpg

MVC-016S.jpg

MVC-017S.jpg

MVC-018S.jpg

MVC-108S.jpg

Jon, thanks for posting and welcome to the forum. This is truly one of the best threads I can recall sifting through in several incarnations of the board.

Wonderful collection and I'm most impressed with your preservation of the personal histories attached to the jackets. That's really what makes it special.

By the way, do you have A-2's that you wear on a regular basis, originals or reproductions?

A

Anonymous

I to want to thank you for the collection of jackets with the provenance you posted ,it sure has been a treat for me and others I am sure .Rgds Jeff

JGC

Clyde, Jeff, and Nick, thank you all for the positive comments. I'm running out of A-2's to show, but I have a few other interesting jackets that I'll try and post. Clyde, as to your question about wearing any jackets, I have to say I'm strictly a collector. Thanks Jon

Chandler

JGC said:
I believe the jacket is WWII, because it has the 772nd Bomb Squadron patch on the chest, and the 15th AAF patch on the sleeve.

I had a vintage 1st Armored patch on my 70s M-65 too, doesn't mean it was stitched there in 1943 -- but I see the subsequent posts with the airlift images, so it looks like this jacket was worn in WW2 -- and that only makes its origin more interesting. I wonder why he private purchased?

Chandler

TankBuster

Chandler,
There were tons of Private Purchase A-2 style jackets in WWII. After the AAF
cancelled the A-2, in some cases they ran out of jackets to issue to later war
flyers, thus the PP jackets. Apparently not all guys wanted B-10's, and they
preferred leather.