• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WWII German winter parkas

B-Man2

I've never found any of those features troublesome. The button closure is actually genius as you can easily adjust the amount that the parka is buttoned up depending on the temperature and what you are doing in it. I often if I'm working and bending down have the lower buttons open.

The hood is large but by no means a problem. I'm usually wearing a cap of beanie and it's no bother. Due to the nature of the fabric (it's thick) you can easily squash it so it fits and is comfortable.

Maybe you should actually try wearing one. They're excellent parkas.

The fleece linings are excellent, warm but without the issues that the original Reizwolle have. As I mentioned above the fleece makes the parka have the same heft as the originals.

I've said it here before but easily one of the best jackets/coats I own and probably the most practical.
The S&M Wholesale jacket that I had was entirely heavy weight padded fabric . I’m not sure how or what it was made from but definitely not fleece. Not sure wether ATF or S&M had the more accurate repro of the jacket but I’d have to assume that the originals didn’t have fleece .

Chandler

imo, none of these worn in public, in any of the Camo patterns would be an issue since %95 of the public have no idea as to what they were [are], or who they were worn by, or when. I might even get one of the "where eagles dare" versions.
I get the point about what the public may or may not know, but I know -- and camo sets a tone around my area.

In a big snow storm a few years ago I wore my M-64 woodland over my heavy fleece to work and was immediately labeled Rambo by my boss. :rolleyes:

And I have a German Feldmutz and Beregmutz I wear now and again, but they're still pretty stand-out in my suburban environment. Even my Swiss mutz is a little too foreign as to get sideways looks.

Yeah, should I care? No, but my wife does. :)

B-Man2

I just read the specs on the S&M jackets and they are made utilizing the same weighted fabrics as the originals. Also the lining is made from the same weighted military blankets ,(2 or them) that was also used in the originals. So while I’m not a big fan of S&M , I’d have to assume that they are pretty accurate repros of that jacket .

Smithy

The S&M Wholesale jacket that I had was entirely heavy weight padded fabric . I’m not sure how or what it was made from but definitely not fleece. Not sure wether ATF or S&M had the more accurate repro of the jacket but I’d have to assume that the originals didn’t have fleece .

The originals have a thing called Reizwolle Burt. None of the repros use Reizwolle. So the real thing it in terms of heft. I can only talk about ATF's parkas but they have the same weight and heft of those two original W-SS parkas I've handled.

ATF's are sized liked originals, so made to be worn over under garments, shirts, and tunics.

Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS reversible parkas were designed to be worn over existing uniform and not by themselves.

They were an outer layer designed to augment the other layers being worn in the Wehrmacht/Waffen-SS uniform.

Dany McDonald

s far as I know, the „Mausgraue Wendejacke“ …
„ mouse grey parka „ only exists on recent selling websites.
Here a few photos of the blue grey Luftwaffe Wendejacke …
Never saw nor heard of any other authentic WW2 item in a similar shade… but maybe I missed something.

Hello Pilot,

In the winter 42/43 when the parka was first introduced it was actually field-gray. The soldiers (mostly army at first) were given brassards (Black/red or red/yellow) to be used on the sleeve to distinguish German unit from Russians. In oct 43 the army and SS started to use camouflage on the exterior shell and the cut was identical at first but evolved differently after. I bet the LW blue parka in your example is also a very early version. I've also found a LW blue quilted version.

You can find B/W photos of troops with a dark gray color parka easily distinguished from the camouflage versions in the same image.

Hope this brings helpful info to the discussion.

Dany

Pilot

Hello Pilot,

In the winter 42/43 when the parka was first introduced it was actually field-gray. The soldiers (mostly army at first) were given brassards (Black/red or red/yellow) to be used on the sleeve to distinguish German unit from Russians. In oct 43 the army and SS started to use camouflage on the exterior shell and the cut was identical at first but evolved differently after. I bet the LW blue parka in your example is also a very early version. I've also found a LW blue quilted version.

You can find B/W photos of troops with a dark gray color parka easily distinguished from the camouflage versions in the same image.

Hope this brings helpful info to the discussion.

Dany
Hi Dany
thanks a lot…
1000% agree with all your words.
Field grey… in that time was not „ mouse grey „ but Feldgrau…like most of the Wehrmacht and WaSS uniforms ( read green/grey ).
There was even a slight difference in the Feldgrau from WH compared to the WaSS Feldgrau ( Wendejacke).
I am Korea right now ( hence far away from my „Wendejacken“ at home in Luxemburg).
Will try to find some photos anyway.
Thanks for your excellent feedback.
Here a few good „Feldgrau“ examples.

Last edited:

Smithy

I just dug out my books by Nigel Thomas on the Wehrmacht and their uniforms and in them he mentions "mouse-grey". He uses it non-capitalised which suggests it wasn't an "actual" Wehrmacht colour. Interestingly, he uses the term mostly to describe a mid grey used in insignia.

If we're talking about "mouse-grey" in relation to Wehrmacht parkas I think this is probably a "descriptive" adjective to describe a version - which could very possibly be due to differences in fabric production batches rather than a separate and differently specified colour. Thomas makes no mention of the M1942 reversible winter tunic/parka (Winteranzug) coming in different colours other than Feldgrau, although it was offered in three different weights. The design for the M1942 parka didn't change until 1944 when the elbows were reinforced and the hood design subtly changed with the addition of "darts" which improved the hood shape.

Silver Surfer

just pulled the trigger on one of those "where eagles dare" parkas. the price was right, even with shipping to the us. also, having looked at other offerings, the wed version appears to be right up there with the best of the others. I will likey apply a water proof spray to it on both sides, so that in the event that it gets wet from rain or snow, it won't get the interior insulator blanket wet and heavy. more when it arrives. btw: the size 40 is 23" pit to pit, and the size 42 is 24" pit to pit.

Smithy

just pulled the trigger on one of those "where eagles dare" parkas. the price was right, even with shipping to the us. also, having looked at other offerings, the wed version appears to be right up there with the best of the others. I will likey apply a water proof spray to it on both sides, so that in the event that it gets wet from rain or snow, it won't get the interior insulator blanket wet and heavy. more when it arrives. btw: the size 40 is 23" pit to pit, and the size 42 is 24" pit to pit.

Post some pics when it turns up Vic. Right time to buy from the UK now that the pound has tanked.

Dany McDonald

Hello guys,

There was even a slight difference in the Feldgrau from WH compared to the WaSS Feldgrau ( Wendejacke).

Pilot, absolutely and the array of shades and variants can be difficult to follow. Some early Anorak's were officially field-green but were actually very close to field-gray like your examples...

Now why SM offers a panzer-gray Wendejacke (when it could be a fantasy style) when they got the Anorak right...!?

And a nice one too:

Now for the cut and style, apparently the only way to differentiate an Army from SS winter 43 parkas is the pocket flap, the SS had a curve while army was strait.

Thank you,

D

Last edited:

Otter

Looking forward to your comments on it, I have long swithered over one.
Nikwax Cotton proof works well on that type of jacket, I use it o my Tilley Hat and Fjallraven jackets.

Kermit3D

I've wanted one of these parkas for a long time (another cinema influence on cool), but couldn't bring myself to ever buy one -- the plain color field gray on one side wouldn't be bad, but any of the full-on camo would be a little too stand-out for me.

Add to that the button-up closure and cloth waist tie, and the whole deal is just a little too cumbersome for me -- nevermind the oversized hood (meant to fit over a helmet) that is less than practical.

But yeah... they're still cool looking. ;)

Oh yes! I had forgotten this film... unconsciously I was probably also influenced by Clin Eastwood and Richard Burton.

I would also have a hard time assuming the camouflage motif. But that's a very personal opinion and if I didn't care what people thought then it would be my choice.