• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW2 original color photos

flyincowboy

B-17F 42-3325. Paddy Gremlin 379th bg.jpg
paddy gremlin.jpg
paddy gremlin noseart.jpg

Rory Schultz

what was the protocol in case of sudden urges to go #1 or, even better, #2?

OMG.....and having to scratch that god awful itch too! I am already starting to have an anxiety attack just thinking about being stuck there! Jesh I gotta take a pill now.....

Rory Schultz

IF You want to see a good movie go watch "SHADOW IN THE CLOUD" with Chloe Grace Moretz . Stay to the end, it turns out better than you think. But overlook all the Military inaccuracies.....the story is good.

5fdfd75b37b7c2b353841fefa1ffd580-250h.jpg

Greg Gale

what was the protocol in case of sudden urges to go #1 or, even better, #2?

1) point the turret downwards so that the hatch is inside the aircraft
2) climb out
3) use one of the relief tubes

Sadly, the first 2 points match the protocol of bailing out from a burning/ spinning aircraft. Plus you had to put on your parachute as 3). Surprisingly, it was one of the safest positions in the aircraft statistically.

Kermit3D

That's one of Nathan Howland's [HOWDI] colourisations
:)

I had a doubt about the colors. ;)

I'm not sure what to think about this practice (colorizing black and white images). The "artistic" exercise is interesting. But it must be mentioned somewhere on the image. It's becoming more and more difficult to sort out real color photos from the period and colorized images.

Micawber

I had a doubt about the colors. ;)

I'm not sure what to think about this practice (colorizing black and white images). The "artistic" exercise is interesting. But it must be mentioned somewhere on the image. It's becoming more and more difficult to sort out real color photos from the period and colorized images.

I don't want to derail the thread but since I have had involvement in museum archiving original WW2 negatives and prints many direct from individuals who actually captured them, my preference has always been the image in its original form.
Colourising images has become popular but the end result depends on the depth of knowledge of the person undertaking the work. Some are good, some less so. The danger comes when colourised images are accepted as original photographs, perhaps due to cropping to remove the colourists watermarks etc. I can see this being an increasing issue in years to come. However with the accessibility of software now the floodgates are well and truly open. As long as the original images and their background information remain safe as primary sources in archives and the like then there still a chance to view scenes as they actually were, not how someone generations down the line think they were.
Of course photographic images were sometimes doctored in the development and printing stages too!

Kermit3D

I don't want to derail the thread but since I have had involvement in museum archiving original WW2 negatives and prints many direct from individuals who actually captured them, my preference has always been the image in its original form.
Colourising images has become popular but the end result depends on the depth of knowledge of the person undertaking the work. Some are good, some less so. The danger comes when colourised images are accepted as original photographs, perhaps due to cropping to remove the colourists watermarks etc. I can see this being an increasing issue in years to come. However with the accessibility of software now the floodgates are well and truly open. As long as the original images and their background information remain safe as primary sources in archives and the like then there still a chance to view scenes as they actually were, not how someone generations down the line think they were.
Of course photographic images were sometimes doctored in the development and printing stages too!

100% agree with this. You found the words that I didn't find in English. ;)
I can accept the restoration of a black and white photo done by a professional. Calibrate the "height" of the whites and blacks (curves, levels), clean some big dust...
But colorizing a picture has strictly no historical interest (and often no aesthetic interest too).

There is a current fashion which consists in making documentaries on the second world war with colorized videos... and it is often very ugly. :mad:

Whereas original color movies are SO BEAUTIFUL ! o_O

An example of a documentary artificially colorized :

An example of original color documentary :

Last edited:

Rory Schultz

The only purpose these were colorized in the first place (documentaries) was to show viewers a more realistic flavor to the death, destruction and gore associated with War. A sort of bringing it to life. Though mature eyes can still see that War is horrendous the younger generations do not find Black and White as real. They view it with suspicion, not blatantly, but with a surreal attitude. That is why you will hear them publicly say they did not believe it was so bad, some even claim it was all exaggerated. We of the older generation grew up without color TV etc. know that the black and white medium was what was available and do not view as such with skepticism. It was our history. Still, the visuals, color of blood and gore seems to bring the full impact that those Wars were horrific and very real. It brings to the forefront of current generations that these events were not so far back in man's history, that it was not some ancient event. Sadly, with more and more of the current generation involved in the fantasy world of realistic gaming it has desensitized them to the suffering, pain and finality associated with death. That is why when soldiers of today experience War they are faced with the reality that those who were just killed do not respawn. They suffer from a different more extreme form of PTSD. Our ancestors suffered from PTSD but it was the awakening from innocence to the realities of War. Todays soldiers have been brought out of their "safe mode" to the reality of life...and death.

Kermit3D

The only purpose these were colorized in the first place (documentaries) was to show viewers a more realistic flavor to the death, destruction and gore associated with War. A sort of bringing it to life. Though mature eyes can still see that War is horrendous the younger generations do not find Black and White as real. They view it with suspicion, not blatantly, but with a surreal attitude. That is why you will hear them publicly say they did not believe it was so bad, some even claim it was all exaggerated. We of the older generation grew up without color TV etc. know that the black and white medium was what was available and do not view as such with skepticism. It was our history. Still, the visuals, color of blood and gore seems to bring the full impact that those Wars were horrific and very real. It brings to the forefront of current generations that these events were not so far back in man's history, that it was not some ancient event. Sadly, with more and more of the current generation involved in the fantasy world of realistic gaming it has desensitized them to the suffering, pain and finality associated with death. That is why when soldiers of today experience War they are faced with the reality that those who were just killed do not respawn. They suffer from a different more extreme form of PTSD. Our ancestors suffered from PTSD but it was the awakening from innocence to the realities of War. Todays soldiers have been brought out of their "safe mode" to the reality of life...and death.

I hadn't thought of it that way, but it does make sense.
It is true that the color (even artificial) touches an audience that does not feel concerned by the black and white.

Rory Schultz

I have been a professional artist since 1980 and along the way met a whole lot of people in the Movie industry. They were the ones who told me about why there was a demand for colorization. But there were also other reasons to which had to do with solving some mysteries. I was not given specifics but some black and white photos had strange imagery so some investigative artist were called in to colorize some images to solve that mystery. Then as aforementioned the early coloring was to bring it to life. All of it done now days is more for fun.