• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WW1 Grizzly

Roughwear

I know very little about these sort of coats John, but there are a couple of things which make me question its age. 1. the label appears to be freshly sewn on-it could be modern sewing of the original label though. 2. the crown marking on the buttons-whose crown exactly is it supposed to be? Would German jackets have a crown on the buttons like this in 1918?

Roughwear

I sold this Irvin to the current seller over two years ago. It is a decent size and is the work of IAC. It's a decent jacket and robust enough to use as a daily wearer.

havocpaul

I don't think it's a genuine German WW1 coat, crown buttons were usually a Swedish trait and this maybe a Swedish coat as they did have various styles of long coats from the early 20th century onwards. Their coats also have prominent date stamps, although I think this may be a later (mocked-up) label with the Imperial German Air Force badge on it. It could therefore be a Swedish coat from the period, perhaps with some added fur(?). Imperial German pilots bought taylor-made jackets privately much as they did in WW2 but this just doesn't look 'right'.

havocpaul

I have found some German sellers in particular none too responsive when trying to give them information! I usually find that if it is a case of trying to 'deceive', shall we say, any corrections will not be transcripted on a listing.

Roughwear

havocpaul said:
I have found some German sellers in particular none too responsive when trying to give them information! I usually find that if it is a case of trying to 'deceive', shall we say, any corrections will not be transcripted on a listing.

This is certainly true of Colvinex who did not revise his recent Poughkeepsie listing when I pointed out the replaced knits and zip and damage to the leather. This might explain why some of his items are re-listed after either being sold or perhaps "sold" to himself by using another identity!

I did email the seller about the coat and he would not have it that was anything other than described and said the buttons were 100% Prussian.

joeson

There is no way that mouton from that period would look that fresh.It would have had to have been kept in a climate controlled environment,away from any natural light.This is not borne out by the condition of the leather on the rest of the garment.Also,as pointed out by Andrew,the label has been recently sewn on.

Roughwear

joeson said:
There is no way that mouton from that period would look that fresh.It would have had to have been kept in a climate controlled environment,away from any natural light.This is not borne out by the condition of the leather on the rest of the garment.Also,as pointed out by Andrew,the label has been recently sewn on.

If you tell the seller all this he will say its original Prussian mouton kept in the dark for 90 years. ;) :lol:

asiamiles

"NO SALES TO ITALY AND FRANCE,since apparently Ebayers from there have their own standards when it comes to respect listed conditions and paying."

The jacket could well have been worn in combat though as it sounds like the seller is still at war with with some of Europe!

Stony

I like the last line listed.

Checkout your favored specialized discussion boards and ask for advice and comments if you are unsure…

And that's exactly what's going on.