• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wow ! is it for real ??

John The Hat

John Lever said:
Andrew, what do you think of the totally untarnished belt buckles and new looking leather ?

We have one in for repair at the moment. It is in quite nice condition, but the stitching is going on the seams and there are a couple of splits. It looks its age, in other words. But the straps look thirty years younger. This is the third or fourth we have done recently and all but one have shared this characteristic. I am getting to the stage where if I saw one where the straps WEREN'T looking good, I might begin to smell a rat :)

TankBuster

John Lever said:
So how much will it sell for, £1000?

Probably more, but it won't be me. These original shearlings can turn bad on you overnight!! One dry spot or micro split can expand into a nightmare. I've had it happen first hand. I sold all but 2 I had years ago. I'm not saying it happens on all of them, but they are too risky for me.

Roughwear

TankBuster said:
John Lever said:
So how much will it sell for, £1000?

Probably more, but it won't be me. These original shearlings can turn bad on you overnight!! One dry spot or micro split can expand into a nightmare. I've had it happen first hand. I sold all but 2 I had years ago. I'm not saying it happens on all of them, but they are too risky for me.
I agree with Jeff that buying a USAAF shearling jacket is risky if you want to wear it. I currently have one nr mint B3 which can be worn carefully. However in contrast most Irvins are far less risky to wear. As far as price goes this size 46 may fetch 1200 dollars or so.

dmar836

When I first started collecting, I wanted to add an AAF shearling jacket. Called a place in the eastern USA known for stockpiles and as dealers of shearling. I got the runaround from the old guy as if he couldn't guarantee anything he sold me. "Depends on how much you want to spend" and, "Could be perfect right now, might be in pieces the first time you pick it up out of the box." Not much of a salesman and not much of a mentor to a new collector. I didn't feel too comfortable with his up front disclaimer that appeared based mostly on my budget - like he was looking to unload rags to anyone not willing to spend $1500 on a B-3(this was 1995, mind you).
I now see he had a point but if it's sound shearling and not stressed, it's much safer. Personally, I do NOT wear collectible jackets. I certainly don't mean to ruffle feathers as it would be great to have one to wear that could never be damaged. Trying them on occasionally or photographing them is fine. But, to me, modern wear, stains, and accidents don't appropriately add to the patina of a vintage collectible jacket.
We have such great repros out there, I guess I don't understand the obsession with wearing a vintage jacket.

Just my opinion.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

Roughwear

Dave, I agree with you about fragile shearling jackets. But i do wear all my original A2s and Irvins, but only occasionally and with care. After all they were made to be worn! To me wearing an original jacket is part of the appeal of the hobby. I do have repros for daily wear.