• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you wear an 80yo jacket

Dumpster D

Most people retire after so many years, I think the same about clothing too. If I owned an Original and vintage A-2 I might be tempted, but I'd just as soon enjoy an Eastman or GW as the old stand-by.

The Originals, I might try on at home from time to time, if only for a few minutes, just to do an annual moth inspection and inventory catalogue, or to show privately to friends and family. Mostly I keep them hidden away, and forgotten.

Last edited:

Dumpster D

...Makes perfect sense to me. Like a Time capsule.

I don't know, having a rare sports car for example, I wouldn't drive it to the grocery store and leave it in the parking lot for 5 minutes either, then again, if you're Ferris Bueller.

Last edited:

caddyd

Truth is all the original surviving leather jackets are lucky - just like classic cars so give em air. But painted jackets along with others are museum pieces to be preserved with extra care.

Silver Surfer

as mentioned above, many museums have a-2s [and other jackets and gear], and some, plenty of them. most of which are just stored away. saved for?????? I have been to several wwll and aviation museums and redesignated air fields, and often as not, the jackets I have seen were by no means "taken care of". the usual exposed to sun light, hung on hangers, folded up. etc. mind you, some museums take great care of the survivors properly. I would bet dollars for donuts that individual collectors take care of their a-2s as well or better then most in most museums.....worn occasionally or unworn.

Chandler

...Makes perfect sense to me. Like a Time capsule.

I don't know, having a rare sports car for example, I wouldn't drive it to the grocery store and leave it in the parking lot for 5 minutes either, then again, if you're Ferris Bueller.
How did that old college poster from the 70s go?

"A ship in a harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are made for."

I had a sports car for about 10 years. Maybe not "rare," but I drove it everywhere if I could drop the top.

The Ferris analogy is good because they pointed out how ludicrous it was for Cameron's father to just keep a car in a room when it was meant to be driven.

Life goes by too fast... ;)

Chandler

I see a lot of original jackets in the "What Jacket are you Wearing Now" thread, are you guys just slipping them on to snap a pic?

Also, @Thomas Koehle is now the owner of my '50 G-1 (a common passenger in the above mentioned sports car on cool mornings) and I think he's not hiding it away.

At least, that was the deal when I sold it to him. ;)

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

as mentioned above, many museums have a-2s [and other jackets and gear], and some, plenty of them. most of which are just stored away. saved for?????? I have been to several wwll and aviation museums and redesignated air fields, and often as not, the jackets I have seen were by no means "taken care of". the usual exposed to sun light, hung on hangers, folded up. etc. mind you, some museums take great care of the survivors properly. I would bet dollars for donuts that individual collectors take care of their a-2s as well or better then most in most museums.....worn occasionally or unworn.
Museums also sell them ocassionally. I know that for a fact as I personally have bought uniforms, gear and even aircraft parts from them. It is a bit naive thinking of museums as absolute holy sanctuaries for historical artifacts.

Micawber

Depends on the terms of the accession or loan agreements of the artefact and policies of the individual establishment.

Nickb123

I know this isn’t the literal point @mulceber was trying to make, but I wonder if maybe the answer IS to just wear them (in moderation) until they literally begin to fall apart, then at that point preserve. I think some future onlooker isn’t robbed too badly in that case. I doubt there is much historical value to the onlooker, rather than the collector, lost if a seam has to be repaired, for instance.

Thomas Koehle

I see a lot of original jackets in the "What Jacket are you Wearing Now" thread, are you guys just slipping them on to snap a pic?

Also, @Thomas Koehle is now the owner of my '50 G-1 (a common passenger in the above mentioned sports car on cool mornings) and I think he's not hiding it away.

At least, that was the deal when I sold it to him. ;)
Be assured the MONARCH gets his „weartime“ - I’m a bit hesitant to wear my ED CHURCH which I also got here on the VLJ too often because of his age but any other originals I own get regularly out of the closet.

The reason why I try to find jackets in „my“ size 46 is exactly the fact that I wanna wear them but not lock ‚em away.

B-Man2

Be assured the MONARCH gets his „weartime“ - I’m a bit hesitant to wear my ED CHURCH which I also got here on the VLJ too often because of his age but any other originals I own get regularly out of the closet.

The reason why I try to find jackets in „my“ size 46 is exactly the fact that I wanna wear them but not lock ‚em away.
Wear em if you got ‘em …and enjoy them.

B-Man2

Ok … So the timing on this one is perfect for this discussion…
Jorge just posted his latest find …. A mint NOS WWII issue Rough Wear B-3 seen below .
So now … the question is …who would wear this beauty as a daily wearer… given the right temps and weather ?
And who would leave this in the box and try to preserve its NOS condition as much as humanly possible ?
So now ….let the discussion continue ;)
IMG_1096.jpeg

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Simple decision: I used to ride my 75 yrs old Panhead as often as I was able to but only in dry weather and never „full speed“. Means I „used it but not abused it“. Bike was never a commuter or daily driver but got it’s miles on the road.

Given all the circumstances you described Burt I’d wear the B3 for sure but not in a blizzard sotosay. And after wearing I’d give her the necessary „maintenance“.

Silver Surfer

that b-3 looks outstanding, but from my experience, [ive been down this road several times] regardless of how perfect they look, they are fragile and one step away from cracking, splitting, and falling apart due to the way they were tanned and coated. wear? at this point the days of wearing an original b-3 have come and gone.

Micawber

Ok … So the timing on this one is perfect for this discussion…
Jorge just posted his latest find …. A mint NOS WWII issue Rough Wear B-3 seen below .
So now … the question is …who would wear this beauty as a daily wearer… given the right temps and weather ?
And who would leave this in the box and try to preserve its NOS condition as much as humanly possible ?
So now ….let the discussion continue ;)
View attachment 114551

Twenty five or thirty years ago they were still strong, wearable USAAF shearlings about and I would wear selected examples driving the Jeep and treat them as day to day wear. I would not wear that one in the same casual manner though, looks can be deceiving.