• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you wear an 80yo jacket

cgreen

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all having a good start to the week.

I want to know if you all would feel comfortable wearing a horsehide jacket from the 1940s that didn't have any provenance and wasn't a sentimental piece? If the seams were tight and the hide was in gorgeous condition, a la supple with lots of grain, no holes, tears, or cuts of any kind would this be a piece you'd feel comfortable wearing on a weekly basis?

Are there things to look out for when contemplating wearing such an old piece?

Is there any comparison to 80yo automobiles and wristwatches in terms of jackets of this age being a bit delicate? No moving parts other than zippers, but what's the consensus and what are peoples' experiences? Do you all wear your original flight or motorcycle jackets? Would love to hear your opinions on the viability of such a piece as a weekly wearer.

If you've got photos all the better. Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you all. Take care.

Chris

ZuZu

Hi Everyone,

I want to know if you all would feel comfortable wearing a horsehide jacket from the 1940s that didn't have any provenance and wasn't a sentimental piece? If the seams were tight and the hide was in gorgeous condition, a la supple with lots of grain, no holes, tears, or cuts of any kind would this be a piece you'd feel comfortable wearing on a weekly basis?

Is there any comparison to 80yo automobiles and wristwatches in terms of jackets of this age being a bit delicate? No moving parts other than zippers, but what's the consensus and what are peoples' experiences? Do you all wear your original flight or motorcycle jackets? Would love to hear your opinions on the viability of such a piece as a weekly wearer.

If you've got photos all the better. Thank you very much, looking forward to hearing from you all. Take care.

Chris
I wear an 80 year old M422A, a 76 year old G-1, and a 61 year old G-1- as I would any other piece of nice clothing I care about. I don't "play football in them" but I don't particularly baby them either. I wore my FEC G-1 from the early 50's all over Europe carrying a backpack, walking around all day, riding bikes- no problem!

That being said I'm old- so I don't care as much- smoke 'em while you got 'em- right?

I would definitely wear the jacket you describe- why not? Saving it for a museum or just for the next thrift store? Enjoy!

Dumpster D

It depends, if it's a WWII Jacket then no. I wouldn't wear it...maybe to an air show.

If it's in good shape, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I scuffed it up.

I wouldn't wear it on a night out, it will get stolen.

ZuZu

It depends, if it's a WWII Jacket then no. I wouldn't wear it...maybe to an air show.

If it's in good shape, I wouldn't be able to sleep at night if I scuffed it up.

I wouldn't wear it on a night out, it will get stolen.
I wear my M422A from WW2 a lot. It has torn cuffs etc. but it has supple goatskin and (I think) silk thread which doesn't show any sign of deterioration. To be honest it's a weird psychological spiral which happens with these old originals which makes them too precious to wear but would condemn them to sit drying up on a stand in a museum (if patched or with famous credentials) or just hanging in a closet or sitting in a drawer for all of time. Better to wear them carefully IMO.

caddyd

They've got soul so I've always worn my original A-2's, M-422-A's and fragile B-3's when the cold winds blow - its the only way to go!

Attachments

• DSCN4928.JPG
    DSCN4928.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 124
  • DSCN4936.JPG
    DSCN4936.JPG
    119.8 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN4939.JPG
    DSCN4939.JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN4941.JPG
    DSCN4941.JPG
    121 KB · Views: 120

johnwayne

Doubt I’d wear an original with artwork and poss why I’ve never seriously been tempted when seeing one for sale, despite the fact I always wanted one - god forbid too that it might get mistaken for an awful Avirex version! However, I do occasionally wear my ‘42 Dubow carefully and dependent on where I’m going but with 2 repros too they get the regular wear as I’m respectful of its vintage (and poss value) even though it’s in good wearable condition. Not so cautious with my late ‘50’s G1’s though, they get quite regular wear, certainly one of them.

cgreen

Thank you everyone, I too am in the wear it camp. I read an article about Nick Mason - the drummer for Pink Floyd - and his car collection. This is a series bit of history we're talking about with single automobiles in the millions of dollars and a $48 million 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO that is one of only 36 ever made.

He drives them all and even races the GTO.

He has the money to fix them when they break but the point is why own them if you're not going to enjoy them to the fullest?

Chandler

From an opposite perspective, look at comic book "investors" -- in order to lock in the value of a vintage book they have them graded and "slabbed." The slabbing seals them in plastic so you can only look at the front and back of the book.

Don't understand it, but it's the accepted way of collecting and investing.

Hi Everyone,

Chris
The Navy paid about $14.00 per jacket for an M422/M422A/AN-J-3A/ and so, wear whatever you have if you like it.

I have at least one of everything, but my daily wear jackets are 7823D's and a couple of 7823A's and B's. I could wear the earlier ones but only with t-shirt. As a rule I wear the D mostly.

Attachments

• 20210303_082214.jpg
    20210303_082214.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 100

mulceber

I wear my M422A from WW2 a lot. It has torn cuffs etc. but it has supple goatskin and (I think) silk thread which doesn't show any sign of deterioration. To be honest it's a weird psychological spiral which happens with these old originals which makes them too precious to wear but would condemn them to sit drying up on a stand in a museum (if patched or with famous credentials) or just hanging in a closet or sitting in a drawer for all of time. Better to wear them carefully IMO.
Yep, agreed. When Burt and I visited Wright-Pat we happened to be chatting with a member of the museum staff, and Burt asked her how many jackets the museum has that aren't on display. As I recall, the number was "thousands," pretty much all of them just sitting in boxes somewhere. We think of them as historical pieces, but museums don't care about them at all, unless they happen to be doing an exhibit on the unit that jacket was from, or it was worn by a famous person.

Whether you wear them or not, they're going to turn to dust anyway. Might as well wear them and enjoy them until they're no longer in wearable condition, then do what you can to keep them from falling apart.

ZuZu

Yep, agreed. When Burt and I visited Wright-Pat we happened to be chatting with a member of the museum staff, and Burt asked her how many jackets the museum has that aren't on display. As I recall, the number was "thousands," pretty much all of them just sitting in boxes somewhere. We think of them as historical pieces, but museums don't care about them at all, unless they happen to be doing an exhibit on the unit that jacket was from, or it was worn by a famous person.

Whether you wear them or not, they're going to turn to dust anyway. Might as well wear them and enjoy them until they're no longer in wearable condition, then do what you can to keep them from falling apart.
What's weird is that many of the goatskin jackets from back then (40s,50s) have leather which just doesn't degenerate. Some voodoo or extra special African animal pee made them invulnerable to time! I had a 18091 RW which was perfect in every way (it's on JC's CD)- only the 15th AF patches showed wear. It had very thin shiny black or dark brown thread which I think was silk (JC's not so sure). So it was a total wearer BUT I pussied out and sold it because of paranoia. Today, 5 months from 70, I would wear it.

Horsehide jackets from that time too have invulnerable leather sometimes. Often however they have the one spot you have to be careful about, or in the case of A2s deteriorating thread. Again, however, a Bronco In had (also on JC's CD) was in perfect shape and a great wearer.

As you get older you'll see that you must wear these relics, Tempus fugit.