• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

wore my BR perry to work today ....

srivats

... and people gave me funny looks whenever I had the jacket on. My friend asked 'back to the 90s?' I work in a lab btw, people are usually dressed very casually. This is the first time I wore an A2 to the office ... I don't know if I will be wearing one on workdays anymore.

Do you guys wear your A2 regularly to work? What kind of reactions you get?

Burnsie

I wear an A-2 to work every day in fall and winter except when it's bitter cold then it's a B-10. While wearing a russett Aero the weirdest comment I got was "see what brown can do for you". It's the B-10 that's gotten all the positive compliments (from a wide variety of people). Guess the A-2 doesn't really register out of the ordinary to the untrained eye (as the "back to the 90's" comment shows....90's? Duh...)

asiamiles

Odd, since the A-2 is a fairly basic leather jacket and there's certainly nothing 90's about it. Perhaps it was just very different from what you usually wear?

Weasel_Loader

No leather for me here, but I do wear my vintage nylon. Yes, they always ask me, "how many different jackets do you own?" :lol:

I wore my Hustler MA-1 the other day and one of the B-1 pilots asked what a Hustler is. :roll:

I live in NYC and I wear em all. M422a, 421 when it's warmer, A2, B10, B3, Irvin, whatever. Mostly, on the street and the subway, I get no funny looks, no comments. People are dressed much more eclectically than me. At work, in the past, (years ago) I got "hey FlyBoy" but not much now. Sometimes they ask about the history or branch of service. One of my team really also likes the B10, not knowing it's place in history. Perhaps the "90's" comments relate to the whole Top Gun jacket craze where lambskin oversized, map-lined jackets were worn by those who wanted to emulate Tom Cruise's character?

I kinda like the idea that I can wear a great-shape 60 year old military jacket and (I presume that) people have no idea that it's any different from a current one. But I know. And unless I run into Grant or one of you guys on the street, probably nobody else will!

:D

I wear a leather flight jacket at work every day, and so do many of my colleagues . We work in airport operations at LAX and most of us are pilots.

39421348_jVELa-L.jpg

39584041_kTvJc-L.jpg

100178193_wvoqZ-L.jpg

49119281_M5mEw-L.jpg

Here I am standing in the middle of runway 25R holding a piece of one of the wheels off a 747 that had a catastrophic tire failure on take off.

49119266_zXs57-L.jpg

49119288_6ZMZM-L.jpg

asiamiles

horseback leader said:
Perhaps the "90's" comments relate to the whole Top Gun jacket craze where lambskin oversized, map-lined jackets were worn by those who wanted to emulate Tom Cruise's character?

Though that was the 80's. Around the time of the release of TOP GUN I had a G-1 and sometimes felt a little uneasy wearing it, wondering if people might be thinking I was some saddo going for a Tom Cruise look.

srivats

asiamiles said:
Odd, since the A-2 is a fairly basic leather jacket and there's certainly nothing 90's about it. Perhaps it was just very different from what you usually wear?

Might be the case ... I usually wear a sweater to work. I am not a big fan of the navy jackets but I love the A2.

Bill, those photos are wonderful. I envy your ability to own, wear and talk about multiple A2s to colleagues at work - not all of us can say that!

Jason

For about 6 months a year my jackets get worn at work. In fact, I store most of my jackets at work! Air conditioned, humidity controlled environment, where I can lay them out flat.

But then it helps that I am the only person at my work location (lone worker) and visitors don't seem to make any negative comments - perhaps they're used to seeing me wearing them so often now that they don't think anything of it.

Cliff

I wear an A2 to the office everyday and have done for several years. I used to wear a G1 and that occasionally drew a comment or two, but the A2, has drawn a comment only once, from a delightful young lady in my office who said it was "cool" :cool: and really loved the look of the worn leather. (It was my GW Aero and only just a year old). 30 years ago I may have got a date out of that ......now I am old enough to be her father !!!! :lol: :lol: But hey, that girl has taste !!! :D

MikeyB-17

Regularly wear my patched, 10+ year-old ELC A-2 to and from work (not actually at work), and in my second job I regularly wear it whilst I conduct tours around the garden. Never got anything but compliments. Once got 'where's (N-word referring to Guy Gibson's dog)?' when wearing my B-3. The crack about the nineties just seems to have been an off-the-cuff wisecrack which wasn't given much thought. As people do.

Chandler

srivats said:
Do you guys wear your A2 regularly to work?

Yep.

What kind of reactions you get?

None. Although, I have a co-worker whose dad was in a B-17 crew in WW2 and I'd been asking him about his kit (donated to a museum) so I showed him my 1401 one time. No real reaction.

Chandler

Cliff

You may have to explain .........I am sure Biggles is known about in "the colonies" but I am not sure the excellent works of Capt W.E.Johns made it across the pond !!

;)

greyhound52

I wear my flight jackets all the time to work and never get a comment. Of course I carry a knife which my be why no comments. :twisted: Just forget about it and wear it.

jacketimp

greyhound52 said:
I wear my flight jackets all the time to work and never get a comment. Of course I carry a knife which my be why no comments. :twisted: Just forget about it and wear it.

the jkt or the knife ? :)

Atticus

I wear a vintage jacket to work almost every day that the weather is cool enough to do so. Most of the time I wear a G-1, but when it is cooler, I like to wear a MA-1. I normally have to carry a dress jacket to work as well.

I often get jacket-related comments at the coffee shop, but not here at work. The people here at work are all too familiar with my jacket collecting so they don't say much anymore.

AF

Grant

Here in NYC I've gotten called "Biggles" while wearing an Irvin and "Maverick" when wearing an M-422a or G-1.
Wearing an A-2 usually doesn't provoke any reactions.

Vcruiser

I don't work...(gawd what a disgusting word)...(retired!)...but I don't think thay I've ever received a neg comment wearing one of my A2 patched repros in public. However...the most positive responses have come concerning my Aero B6...and the Aero utility jackets. Except...one young fellow at a car show complimented me on the "Retro" B6 and asked "Did you get that during the war"? I didn't quite know how to take that. I'm still a little pissed. :)
Van