• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why so few American makers?

Kermit3D

I'd like to take the liberty of quickly coming back to the fit of A-2 vs LW jackets (and more generally cyclist jackets).
First of all, I've loved reading you, and a lot of interesting things have been said.
I think a lot of people know that my favorite jacket is the cyclist jacket. It's a jacket that flatters the silhouette, and makes you look slim and sporty. In my opinion (and this is very subjective), the design is fabulous. But it's also an unforgiving jacket. Very close to the body, it's hard to wear if you're slightly overweight. Even for a slim person, I've never seen a jacket so hard to fit properly.
I've got three cyclist jackets and none of them fit perfectly... but I'll find one (I'm not giving up !).
After all, I completely understand that this type of design is associated with "bad guys" and that it can be "off-putting" to wear a jacket appreciated by LW pilots.
Of course, it's primarily a French civilian jacket, frequently worn by the Resistance, but that's not what people remember.

Take away nazi badges, and yeah, this guy looks pretty cool.

DKiG.jpg

The A-2 jacket, by design, is a little less "sharp". It's also difficult to find the perfect fit : the quest of many of us. On the other hand, the A-2 is much more adaptable to all body types. It's much more forgiving and will always (or almost always) look good.

That said... the A-2 is such a cool jacket !
Hollywood / the "American dream" probably has a lot to do with it. But no matter, the A-2 has that cool, unkempt, carefree, free-spirited side that I really like.

Last edited:

Chandler

I'd like to take the liberty of quickly coming back to the fit of A-2 vs LW jackets (and more generally cyclist jackets).
First of all, I've loved reading you, and a lot of interesting things have been said.
I think a lot of people know that my favorite jacket is the cyclist jacket. It's a jacket that flatters the silhouette, and makes you look slim and sporty. In my opinion (and this is very subjective), the design is fabulous. But it's also an unforgiving jacket. Very close to the body, it's hard to wear if you're even slightly overweight. Even for a slim person, I've never seen a jacket so hard to fit properly.
I've got three cyclist jackets and none of them fit perfectly... but I'll find one (I'm not giving up !).
After all, I completely understand that this type of design is associated with "bad guys" and that it can be "off-putting" to wear a jacket appreciated by LW pilots.
Of course, it's primarily a French civilian jacket, frequently worn by the Resistance, but that's not what people remember.

View attachment 116955

The A-2 jacket, by design, is a little less "sharp". It's also difficult to find the perfect fit : the quest of many of us. On the other hand, the A-2 is much more adaptable to all body types. It's much more forgiving and will always (or almost always) look good.

Hollywood / the "American dream" probably has a lot to do with it. But no matter, the A-2 has that cool, unkempt, carefree, free-spirited side that I really like.
Love the watch, have 3 of the caps, but even at 162 (pounds) there's just too much saturated fat and carbs in today's diet. :confused:

I mean, lookit the guy, he's got Vera Ellen's waist, for crying out loud. ;)

Closest I can get is a highwayman I've had for years that looks almost as cool. ;)

Last edited:

Chandler

I think a lot of people know that my favorite jacket is the cyclist jacket. It's a jacket that flatters the silhouette, and makes you look slim and sporty. In my opinion (and this is very subjective), the design is fabulous. But it's also an unforgiving jacket. Very close to the body, it's hard to wear if you're slightly overweight. Even for a slim person, I've never seen a jacket so hard to fit properly.

View attachment 116955

You know you missed a blur spot... that you probably didn't really need around here anyway. ;)

Kermit3D

Love the watch, have 3 of the caps, but even at 162 (pounds) there's just too much saturated fat and carbs in today's diet. :confused:

I mean, lookit the guy, he's got Vera Ellen's waist, for crying out loud. ;)

Closest I can get is a highwayman I've had for years that looks almost as cool. ;)

Ahahah yes I saw it afterwards... lazy to re-edit the image ! :D

Kermit3D

I think we all have a greater grasp on history and its meanings here at this forum. I'm not offended by (nor afraid of) political markings of an ignorant past.

Modern use of such ignorance is another subject.

Yes, I agree with that.
In fact I decided to blur out the symbols, because my point was to say that this pilot looked really cool. And I thought the word "cool" and the Nazi symbols in the photo didn't go well together. ;)

CBI

Yep, glad someone mentioned the unforgiving thing. These jackets, Luft and A-2 and really all flight jackets are built for young folks IN SHAPE or at least with the correct BMI. IMO, and thats kind of the end of it for me. If one is skinny, kind of doesn't matter, these all look good. Not a fan of the super close fitting LW stye. It just looks out of place in 2023. That said, its the style of many biker jackets one sees today.

Pilot

Yep, the good old "Kanaljacke",
When it comes to more fit wise forgiving LW jackets this is the choice! Unfortunately no leather, at least in the summer Version.
Right, my favorite Kanaljacke… and its the real Battle of Britain Kanaljacke with the blue one the two only jackets qualified to be named Kanaljacke.
As soon as I have enough WW2 Rapid zips, I will try reproduce a batch. I alread have enough knits and Prym 12 studs.

Enigma1938

Right, my favorite Kanaljacke… and its the real Battle of Britain Kanaljacke with the blue one the two only jackets qualified to be named Kanaljacke.
As soon as I have enough WW2 Rapid zips, I will try reproduce a batch. I alread have enough knits and Prym 12 studs.
You're doing good on that, these are superb jackets for the spring to autumn season, light comfortable and they look hellish good

Enigma1938

The most wanted and seeked after in tropical and Gulf states :cool:
Btw there was a tropical version of this jacket also meant for the Mediterranean / north african theater of operations in (I don't know in english) "braun melliert", together with matching pants. Pretty rare today

Pilot

Btw there was a tropical version of this jacket also meant for the Mediterranean / north african theater of operations in (I don't know in english) "braun melliert", together with matching pants. Pretty rare today
Permission to disagree…
The braun melliert was only issued to the Eastern front… but maybe after some disastrous retreats from the East… used in Italy .. a bring back..…after 1943…
However, basically only Eastern front… ( could also be very hot… by all meanings.).
Never saw any in Africa…( periods photos).

Last edited:

johnwayne

Just my two penny’s worth - if you go back to Traindrivers original opening he says only US and British made flight jackets, well the US for certain was the only military to actually have flight jackets as part of their uniform inventory and we’ve all seen the contracts to prove it going back to the A1. I’m not knowledgeable enough about Irvin’s other than as pointed out, even that is arguably technically American albeit made in the UK - not sure if Leslie Irvin designed it but then I’ve never seen anything that says who actually designed the A2, likely it was just a suggested update to the A1 and then again once snaps and zippers arrived! Who knows(?) but to my knowledge the Irvin was not an official RAF issue, only flying crew got one. Of course the lucky US guys got summer weight, winter weight and even the ground crew got nice shearlings!!
What I’m saying really is bar the Irvin all flight jackets were American but ironically yes it appears the majority of repros are now European made, now aided and abetted by our Asian friends in principle by one factor, cost!!!

Pilot

I only partially agree.
1) the Irvin jacket was issued and made in GB ( not in the US ) for mostly but not only flying personel. even if Lesly was american… same for his chutes… made in GB for RAF ( and allies.. maybe some USAF/USN fliers got some as well).
Secondly its new to me that Buzz Rickson’s and The Real McCoys the Few, Rainbow C …etc .. are low cost and or producing in Asia to be low cost.
Last but not least on one of my jackets sold to the „ West“ a ratio of 12 (of them) go to Asia … and my jackets are surely not famous to be low cost (nothing below 2.0 to 2.7 K..Euro).
Asia is surely a cost selective region… cheap products for the “West”… lot of high end top notch for” a lot a lot of Asia…”.
Sorry.. my little knowledge about Asia and living selling there for quite some time…

Pilot

Keep in mind the generic term "Asia" means different things in different places. If you say "Asia" here in the US, you almost invariably mean China, the two Koreas, Japan, Taiwan, and the countries of Southeast Asia. If you say "Asia" in Britain, you usually mean India or Pakistan.
Ahh ok… So there is US English and GB English … even not only in language :)

Southoftheborder

Keep in mind the generic term "Asia" means different things in different places. If you say "Asia" here in the US, you almost invariably mean China, the two Koreas, Japan, Taiwan, and the countries of Southeast Asia. If you say "Asia" in Britain, you usually mean India, Sri Lanka, or Pakistan.
I suppose you could say east Asia. The term south Asia is used in Britain a lot to mean the Indian sub continent.