• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why nobody likes...

Tim P

This, I suppose is part o the appeal if the A-2. Its nit a practical jacket by any means, good for flying probably. Thing is, when choosing an M65 jacket for instance, i compare two from two manufacturers and they are centimetre for centimetre built to a standard. No interpretation at all.

So if an A2 should have x stitching that lies within the lines of eppaulette stitching or outside, a square, clipped or rounded pocket corners, a collar stand or whatever, it adds to the appeal to the individual.

Now I will nail my colours to the mast and state openly that this forum obsession with wearing A2's like european jackets, figure hugging and impractically short in the arm, and back slapping the picture posters for looking good wearing them is mystifying to me.

This is where my love of the poughkeepsie jacket comes from. You got what you were given and wore it unconcerned. The poughkeepsies plain, austere style with wider shoulders, armholes and collar circumference frees the wearer from the frippery of mistaking a combat or working garment for a piece of tailoring. Dont mean to ruffle feathers but by the same token i do think I have a point.

Plus of the original jackets I have owned, the poughkeepsie is the one I preferred, hands down. Wish I hadn't had to move it on.

A

Anonymous

I am grateful that those jackets are different.
If all contracts were the same, we 'd be out of business.

BK is making a Poughkeepsie repro as we speak!

TankBuster

Here's a couple quick pics of my orginal Sz44 Pouchkeepsie with all original components. I sent this one over to John a few years back to be used as a pattern for his Poughkeepsie jackets.

029-7.jpg

027-7.jpg

028-7.jpg

Peter Graham

Tim P said:
Now I will nail my colours to the mast and state openly that this forum obsession with wearing A2's like european jackets, figure hugging and impractically short in the arm, and back slapping the picture posters for looking good wearing them is mystifying to me.
Thank you Tim. You've articulated very well what I've been thinking for years. Another A-2 with the same 'blandness' as the Poughkeepsie is the 27753 un-named contract.

Tim P

Of course there is nothing wrong with a tailored jacket but to presume an A2 or any kind of flight jacket to be an item of tailoring is bemusing to me frankly. Like lipstick on a quarterback :D

Roughwear

Persimmon said:
PLATON said:
Poughkeepsie?

I never saw any PK jackets fetch any big amounts.
Wonder why. It's a nice pattern with very nice details.

Any ideas?

Did Andrew pay big money for his ?
Or did he grab a bargain ??

I have owned several Poughkeepsies and have bought and sold for decent prices. The mint one in my collection cost me a significant amount a few years back. I really like Poughkeepsie A2s as others here do who know the contract well.

Roughwear

Tim P said:
This, I suppose is part o the appeal if the A-2. Its nit a practical jacket by any means, good for flying probably.
So if an A2 should have x stitching that lies within the lines of eppaulette stitching or outside, a square, clipped or rounded pocket corners, a collar stand or whatever, it adds to the appeal to the individual.

This is where my love of the poughkeepsie jacket comes from. You got what you were given and wore it unconcerned. The poughkeepsies plain, austere style with wider shoulders, armholes and collar circumference frees the wearer from the frippery of mistaking a combat or working garment for a piece of tailoring. Dont mean to ruffle feathers but by the same token i do think I have a point.

Well said Tim. :D