• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do they look so different?

ZuZu

Much more interesting jacket as well - prior to the lawsuit Foster v. U.S. Gov., it seems like the Navy tolerated much more variety in the patterns, so a Cagleco is different from a Foster, is different from a Werber. Starting with 7823A, it seems like the contracts are a lot more interchangeable.

Legend has it that starting with the 7823A there was an official pattern that the Navy gave to the contractors.

MoistDonuts

They look different because the Ralph is made of cowhide and the Brill is goatskin. IMO, I would just be more patient until finding another in better shape. Both examples are in really bad shape. You don't want to buy problems, specially at 400$.

The L.W. Foster is not in good shape either, specially for 600$.
I bought it at $160, and got a rral mouton elsewhere so I could have the dynal replaced. I would've gone for something better/more expensive but unfortunately I didn't have the funds nor was my wife willing to spend $600+ while I was prepared to lol down the road I hope to buy a better one. For now as my 1st jacket, I think it's a fine compromise :)

I hope to buy a nice goatskin later on

On another note, I thought both of these 2 were cowhide since both are from the 70s? I believe the brill is from 73.