• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do they look so different?

MoistDonuts

I've decided to purchase my 1st G-1 to wear, and made the decision to go with a real one rather than a repro. I'm looking at two different jackets from the 70s (Ralph edwards, and a brill bros). I've noticed that they each look quite different in color and even the knitting on the cuffs on the brill bros looks off from its waist knit having 2 different shades which seemed odd..is that normal?

Both jackets seem to have different colors from each other and I'm wondering why that is. I'm assuming both are cowhide, but they both look so different from each other.
Screenshot_20231116_214242_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_214329_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_214302_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_214409_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231116_214430_eBay.jpg

Erwin

Hi,

Great decision to buy a genuine contract USN G1, not a reproduction. This Ralph Edwards Sportswear DSA 100-77-C-1518 jacket from 1977 is more interesting in my opinion [the hide looks better, and it has the matching - not replaced knitted elements, on Brill Bros looks like cuff knits were replaced]. Both G1 jackets are nice.

Pilot

Hello
Apparently JFK‘s G-1 was not a RE one, but a LW Foster…
If possible go for one prior 1971 with a mouton collar and not all the „plastic“ inside and arround your neck.
All this synthetic material can be a pain if you intend to wear your beloved G-1 in warmer and more humid climates… the earlier variants are still a pleasure to wear…
Plus, please consider the „ investment „ reselling factor…. Mouton versions sell better than all others…
My 0.1ct input… by experience.
B8ABEE47-4218-43B1-A9E3-A2A1DDD2C3BA.jpeg

Last edited:

MoistDonuts

Hi,

Great decision to buy a genuine contract USN G1, not a reproduction. This Ralph Edwards Sportswear DSA 100-77-C-1518 jacket from 1977 is more interesting in my opinion [the hide looks better, and it has the matching - not replaced knitted elements, on Brill Bros looks like cuff knits were replaced]. Both G1 jackets are nice.
Thank you!!! I had a huge gut feeling the brill bros knits were replaced since the color didn't match. I showed both to my wife for confirmation on which she liked better and she chose the Ralph Edwards lol so it looks like I'll be buying that one. The hide definitely looks a bit different in color. I like both but i was definitely leaning on the Edwards a little more. Thanks for the help!

MoistDonuts

Hello
Apparently JFK‘s G-1 was not a RE one, but a LW Foster…
If possible go for one prior 1971 with a mouton collar and not all the „plastic“ inside and arround your neck.
All this synthetic material can be a pain if you intend to wear your beloved G-1 in warmer and more humid climates… the earlier variants are still a pleasure to wear…
Plus, please consider the „ investment „ reselling factor…. Mouton versions sell better than all others…
My 0.1ct input… by experience.
View attachment 127497
I would've sprung for an older series before 70s, however I had huge trouble finding my size (44) that was in well kept condition, and unfortunately my budget was only around $400. I found this Ralph Edward's for $165..i might try to offer for a little cheaper since shipping is $20.My wife refused to let me spend $600+ lol. What I decides to do is buy a real mouton and simply take it to a tailor or leatherworker down the road to replace the synthetic crap. I found a nice real mouton for $20. I appreciate the help though. If I could've I definitely would've sprung for something older than the 70s. I found a few that looked amazing but unfortunately the prices were too high..Hopefully in the future I can buy a 7823B or C. I really really love the honey colored mouton

Last edited:

Pilot

That's a beautiful jacket! Just curious, how much did you sell it for? If I ever see anything as beautiful as this with hardly any blemishes, it's a skyrocketing price that makes my eyes water lol beautiful piece though!
Many thanks, very honored,I have a 46” RE coming in the mail… same condition….( B Version and 1962 dated ) So… will listen to offers :)

MoistDonuts

Fu
MoistDonuts,

In case you are looking for L.W. Foster Sportswear Co., Inc. [Contract No. OA-36-243-QM (CTM 2134] Size 44, in very good condition [not mint but still very good one] have a quick look at this one ;)
s-l1600.jpg

Ahhh I did see that one during my hunt the past few days and I even added it to my watch list because I was hoping my budget would be $650. Once my wife told me my budget was $400, it threw me off and I took it off my watch list lol this 1 was definitely my top pick though while I was initially looking and hoping for my better budget. I did however secure a separate real mouton collar which I will have put onto the Ralph Edwards I'll be securing. That's the 1 major thing that I dislike about the 70s and onwards G-1s.

ZuZu

Fu

Ahhh I did see that one during my hunt the past few days and I even added it to my watch list because I was hoping my budget would be $650. Once my wife told me my budget was $400, it threw me off and I took it off my watch list lol this 1 was definitely my top pick though while I was initially looking and hoping for my better budget. I did however secure a separate real mouton collar which I will have put onto the Ralph Edwards I'll be securing. That's the 1 major thing that I dislike about the 70s and onwards G-1s.
Budget or not the LW Foster 44 is worth much more than either of your Dynel collared 1970s G-1s. Those are just not that great for reasons we have discussed many times on the forum. With the Foster you'd be getting a much better jacket.

mulceber

Budget or not the LW Foster 44 is worth much more than either of your Dynel collared 1970s G-1s. Those are just not that great for reasons we have discussed many times on the forum. With the Foster you'd be getting a much better jacket.
Much more interesting jacket as well - prior to the lawsuit Foster v. U.S. Gov., it seems like the Navy tolerated much more variety in the patterns, so a Cagleco is different from a Foster, is different from a Werber. Starting with 7823A, it seems like the contracts are a lot more interchangeable.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

They look different because the Ralph is made of cowhide and the Brill is goatskin. IMO, I would just be more patient until finding another in better shape. Both examples are in really bad shape. You don't want to buy problems, specially at 400$.

The L.W. Foster is not in good shape either, specially for 600$.