• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Best Mall Bomber /A-2 Jacket?

Persimmon

les_garten said:
Dr H said:
Fedora Lounge...Aero Leather HQ.

I'm referring to the Aero reference.

I just don't get the joke.

What do they have to do with a Relaxed fit jacket?

The thread is entitled ... Who makes the best mall bomber A2 jacket

Now to the vast majority over on Fedora, Aero is the creme de la creme of all leather jackets makers.
Whilst they do offer a wonderful selection of all types of leather jackets their A2's are actually pretty poor in quality (leather, accuracy to contract details, look, etc etc)

However if you complain about Aero over on Fedora you are pretty quickly shouted down, hence the joke about losing the access to the site (pass)

So the joke is that whilst Aero to a lot of folk produce "Bomber jackets for the mall", over at the Hat Place no matter the Aero problems ( US representative runs off with folks money and does not place orders, they supplier steer and say its horse for their leather jackets and charge accordingly, they say the jacket comes with a NOS zip and its a modern repro, moderators cut off threads and even delete them if Aero crticitism becomes to widespread !!) the brainwashed keep buying them.

There is a old story about the Emperor's New Clothes that comes to mind.......

les_garten

Persimmon said:
les_garten said:
Dr H said:
Fedora Lounge...Aero Leather HQ.

I'm referring to the Aero reference.

I just don't get the joke.

What do they have to do with a Relaxed fit jacket?

The thread is entitled ... Who makes the best mall bomber A2 jacket

Now to the vast majority over on Fedora, Aero is the creme de la creme of all leather jackets makers.
Whilst they do offer a wonderful selection of all types of leather jackets their A2's are actually pretty poor in quality (leather, accuracy to contract details, look, etc etc)

However if you complain about Aero over on Fedora you are pretty quickly shouted down, hence the joke about losing the access to the site (pass)

So the joke is that whilst Aero to a lot of folk produce "Bomber jackets for the mall", over at the Hat Place no matter the Aero problems ( US representative runs off with folks money and does not place orders, they supplier steer and say its horse for their leather jackets and charge accordingly, they say the jacket comes with a NOS zip and its a modern repro, moderators cut off threads and even delete them if Aero crticitism becomes to widespread !!) the brainwashed keep buying them.

There is a old story about the Emperor's New Clothes that comes to mind.......

Ahhh, Ok, I kinda get it now. Kinda...

The reason I didn't get it, is because Aero, IMO, does not build a relaxed fit A-2.

The Leather, zips, skulduggery, blah, blah, blah, I see some of that.

It wasn't that Long ago that GW didn't exist, ya buncha spoiled Brats!

zoomer

Let me clear up the scuttlebutt re FL and Aero...
Loungers' interest in Aero product is almost entirely in their civilian styles, notably the Halfbelts. The A-2 talk seems to be limited to a few buyers in Europe, where Aero prices probably make more sense than in other places.
I haven't been following the FL discussion re the great hide switcheroo. But my guess is they're more concerned with wearability and ageability than DNA issues.

Dr H

Not on this occasion Paul, the furore on FL surrounding the steer/horse issue with the civvy jackets has led to quite a number wanting to verify the nature of the hide and for Aero to offer replacements.
The question of not getting what the customers had paid for is the frequently cited phrase.

les_garten

zoomer said:
I haven't been following the FL discussion re the great hide switcheroo. But my guess is they're more concerned with wearability and ageability than DNA issues.

I disagree here. I'll boil it down...

I think it has to do with I wanted a Horse

I had to go to a Horse Dealer

Horse Dealers are expensive places to buy "stuff" at, because they are special places, unlike cow only dealers.

I bought a Horse

It turned out to be a cow

Now I'm pissed off because I've been lied to, and I paid for Horse from the expensive Horse Dealer. I could have got the same thing for less from a Cow only dealer.

Maybe I am only speaking of myself here, but I think not. There's a certain snobbery to wanting/having a HH jacket. It is equated as being rarer and better.

For instance, Langlitz has a $1200 upcharge for HH. Digest that one for a minute and experience the indigestion.

I have a jacket that was sold to me as FQHH from Aero, I've been looking at it carefully. I think it is cow. I noticed when I received it that it did not have the label. I mentioned this to MARK MOYE at the time, Yada, Yada, Yada... You know the rest.

zoomer

I agree that that is misrepresentation, and at least worth an adjustment in price if not an outright refund.

herk115

regius said:
I'm afraid I am going to say something that may result in the deletion of this thread, Aero Scotland's post 1941 A2s are really bad for the pocket flap corners and the way the body tucks into the waistband, even when new, the waist of the jacket goes "akimbo", instead of cinch nicely around the waist, they just flaps out, the funniest looking jacket ever, but the top part fits very much like the so-called WW2 fit. I know this may be the actual Aero look, but it's the worst jacket to wear everyday, constantly being reminded of the waist area of your jacket.

Instead, the Lost Worlds Dubow is one tough beast, it squeaks like hell and tough like nails. It also fits perfectly like a WW2 jacket, just minor details, wrong snap, wrong pocket symmetry, the leather is not particularly good looking, but it sure is tough! Like they say on the website "...seemingly indestructible".

I know what you mean. As I type this I'm wearing my LW Dubow. I know it has its faults, but in the mirror it has the perfect fit ('the WWII look"), I love the tough but supple leather and its squeak, the workmanship is superb (read: "tough"), and it fits and is soooo comfortable. Who cares about snaps, tag, and pocket symmetry? Fer cryin' out loud those are such picky details. Farther than two feet away no one can tell the difference. And there is NO WAY I would call any LW product "mall quality." When this one wears out I will buy another one in a heartbeat, but I don't think this one will ever wear out. Except for the knits, of course, and I have already ordered replacements that I will have installed at the end of the season.

lightning38

I love my new G&B goat A-2 a size 48 Long and they didn't charge me $25 to $35 dollars more for the large long size either and I've also had 2 late 1970's Cockpit A-2's when they made really nice A-2's, with rich color and presentable detail and fit and then an Eastman A-2 and also 5 original WW II A-2's.

les_garten

lightning38 said:
I love my new G&B goat A-2 a size 48 Long and they didn't charge me $25 to $35 dollars more for the large long size either and I've also had 2 late 1970's Cockpit A-2's when they made really nice A-2's, with rich color and presentable detail and fit and then an Eastman A-2 and also 5 original WW II A-2's.

I'm thinkin' G&B 31 in Goat as well as a solution.

les_garten

Andreart said:
718 bucks aint no mall jacket. shell out the extra 300 bucks and get a goodwear.

I think you might have missed the premise of my original post. Has nothing to do with cost.

Corky

The Best Mall Bomber /A-2 Jacket?

I own a pair of A-2's, one G&B and one Goodwear. The Goodwear is the superior jacket hands down in almost any category of comparison, but the Goodwear is a WWII cut and the G&B is a so-called modern cut.

I am just under 6 feet and weigh just under 200 pounds and the more loose, modern cut G&B is definitely more comfortable to wear.

If the category is Best Mall Bomber jacket or an A-2, then the ANJ-3 jacket ought to be included.

I also have a pair of ANJ-3's, one G&B and one from the San Diego Leather company. Of those two, the G&B is easily the superior jacket.

The ANJ-3 is a slightly more comfortable design and more roomy in the shoulders due to the bi-swing or action back design.

An additional feature of the ANJ-3 is an interior pocket or two. Considering that everyone carries a cel phone around with them these days, this feature is almost enough to swing the balance on the purchase towards an ANJ-3 versus an A-2.

For around $400, G&B also offers a jacket called the F-82, which features the best of both designs - the front of an A-2 plus the bi-swing action back of an ANJ-3. This might be considered the Ultimate Mall Jacket.

Links:
A-2
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293967/Type-A2-Mark-31.html
ANJ-3
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293974/Anj3-Usaaf-And-Usn.html
F-82
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293983/F82-Flight-Jacket.html

les_garten

Re: The Best Mall Bomber /A-2 Jacket?

Corky said:
I own a pair of A-2's, one G&B and one Goodwear. The Goodwear is the superior jacket hands down in almost any category of comparison, but the Goodwear is a WWII cut and the G&B is a so-called modern cut.

I am just under 6 feet and weigh just under 200 pounds and the more loose, modern cut G&B is definitely more comfortable to wear.

If the category is Best Mall Bomber jacket or an A-2, then the ANJ-3 jacket ought to be included.

I also have a pair of ANJ-3's, one G&B and one from the San Diego Leather company. Of those two, the G&B is easily the superior jacket.

The ANJ-3 is a slightly more comfortable design and more roomy in the shoulders due to the bi-swing or action back design.

An additional feature of the ANJ-3 is an interior pocket or two. Considering that everyone carries a cel phone around with them these days, this feature is almost enough to swing the balance on the purchase towards an ANJ-3 versus an A-2.

For around $400, G&B also offers a jacket called the F-82, which features the best of both designs - the front of an A-2 plus the bi-swing action back of an ANJ-3. This might be considered the Ultimate Mall Jacket.

Links:
A-2
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293967/Type-A2-Mark-31.html
ANJ-3
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-293974/Anj3-Usaaf-And-Usn.html
F-82

Awesome! Thanx!

I have a G&B 422a and it is one of my throw on and be comfortable jackets. Certainly should have considered the ANJ-3.

As we say in the USA, Gracias Amigo!

Hamsterbear

Corky said:
....For around $400, G&B also offers a jacket called the F-82, which features the best of both designs - the front of an A-2 plus the bi-swing action back of an ANJ-3. This might be considered the Ultimate Mall Jacket.
Links:
F-82

Who needs an F-82?
I have two, a 40R and a 42R both brown goatskin w/removable liners, like new...
PM me if interested

Tim P

Hamsterbear said:
Corky said:
....For around $400, G&B also offers a jacket called the F-82, which features the best of both designs - the front of an A-2 plus the bi-swing action back of an ANJ-3. This might be considered the Ultimate Mall Jacket.
Links:
F-82

Who needs an F-82?
I have two, a 40R and a 42R both brown goatskin w/removable liners, like new...
PM me if interested

Too small for me by a long way but I would reccommend them to anyone