• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Best Mall Bomber /A-2 Jacket?

les_garten

I got a question for you guys.

Before we start, the line for Tarring, Feathering, and Rail Riding forms to right ===>>

So I never am happy with the way my A-2's fit. My old "Mall Bomber" fits great(well maybe doesn't fit great, but read on), but is poorly done, bad leather, etc, etc

So if you were to look for an A-2 for a "friend" who might not like the WWII fit, which would you pick?

My issues are:

1) Tight across the back
2) Armpit holes High/Tight
3) Arms tight overall
4) Just overall a too trim fit

My wants are:
1) "Decent" Horse or Goat
2) "Decent" Zipper, knits, Lining
3) "General" correct A-2 construction. For instance, one piece back, one piece sleeves, no hand warmers, etc
4) Relaxed Fit, kinda like my FatBoy Stonewashed Relaxed fit Jeans, but not too relaxed, like a Mall Bomber. Something in between.

I've unloaded a bunch of my A-2s with just maybe 8 or nine that I am keeping. They are just too nice and special to get rid of. I'll be uncomfortable to style a little if you get my drift.

But I'd like to snag one that I could be comfortable in like for a long car drive, or Boat ride or whatever. So I'm wanting a relaxed fit.

I don't really want to engage a Custom made because I just don't think it will come out right. I think this wheel has already been invented.

So far, I have narrowed it down to Gibson and Barnes.

Howz that sound?

If that's the one, which model? Are there any cut differences to their different A-2's?

A

Anonymous

I used to own a G&B A-2, as well as a US Authentic A-2. The latter's pattern/fit is the worst I have seen.

I could recommend another one that I used to have, the Cockpit (ex Avirex) current issue A-2. It's pattern is much better and more comfortable than the above mentioned.

les_garten

PLATON said:
I used to own a G&B A-2, as well as a US Authentic A-2. The latter's pattern/fit is the worst I have seen.

I could recommend another one that I used to have, the Cockpit (ex Avirex) current issue A-2. It's pattern is much better and more comfortable than the above mentioned.

I looked over them, but hard to tell from the website. Haven't seen any reviews of them by folks I trust. Thanx, I'll look some more on this.

Andreart

I had a G&B and have a US authentic. the russet horsehide finish is crap. it turns black when the top coat wears off. the fit on the G&B is better. I also have a G&B M44a which is in goat. the fit for me is perfect. I'm a bit tubby on top and need the belly room, also have wide shoulders. I got away from the a-2s when i put on the weight, too much beer i guess. now i like civil jackets, better cut for me and more room for my flab. going on a crash diet this year, so i might be able to wear my favorite bronco again... :p

les_garten

Andreart said:
I had a G&B and have a US authentic. the russet horsehide finish is crap. it turns black when the top coat wears off. the fit on the G&B is better. I also have a G&B M44a which is in goat. the fit for me is perfect. I'm a bit tubby on top and need the belly room, also have wide shoulders. I got away from the a-2s when i put on the weight, too much beer i guess. now i like civil jackets, better cut for me and more room for my flab. going on a crash diet this year, so i might be able to wear my favorite bronco again... :p

Which jacket were you referring to that had the bad russet finish?

A

Anonymous

U.S Authentic the top coat wears off, and the leather turns black, an old Avirex would be better. Some of the old ones had the neck hanger sewn in properly, and a Talon zip, but hard to find. The Flight suits limited is ok.

A

Anonymous

the russet horsehide finish is crap. it turns black when the top coat wears off.

Ha ha ha!
a seal brown horsehide Cockpit I used to have turn bright yellow when the top coat wore off, or flake off I should say.

But the current issue goatskin was OK.

les_garten

Re: Who Makes the Best Mall Bomber A-2 Jacket?

I looked over the cockpit and avirex's on Fleabay.

Don't think those will work.

Just the liners alone would get me Lynched here!

You probably wouldn't have to Lynch me, I'd get one, put it on, look in the mirror, and then my wife would be fightin' to get the gun away from me!

Their G-1's actually look kinda nice, but those ain't a problem for me. I'm fine there.

Another plus for the G&B is that they can be had with spun silk liners, SCORE!

I put that in most of my Aero's and Love it.

I might watch out for a G&B barely used for a while.

regius

I'm afraid I am going to say something that may result in the deletion of this thread, Aero Scotland's post 1941 A2s are really bad for the pocket flap corners and the way the body tucks into the waistband, even when new, the waist of the jacket goes "akimbo", instead of cinch nicely around the waist, they just flaps out, the funniest looking jacket ever, but the top part fits very much like the so-called WW2 fit. I know this may be the actual Aero look, but it's the worst jacket to wear everyday, constantly being reminded of the waist area of your jacket.

Instead, the Lost Worlds Dubow is one tough beast, it squeaks like hell and tough like nails. It also fits perfectly like a WW2 jacket, just minor details, wrong snap, wrong pocket symmetry, the leather is not particularly good looking, but it sure is tough! Like they say on the website "...seemingly indestructible".

A

Anonymous

bseal said:
Aero Leather of Scotland.
thCAGN1P8J.jpg

Marv

I wouldn't class Gibson & Barnes as " Mall Bomber jackets " they are more mid-range in A2 repros.

Why buy a Mall jacket when you can get a decent Cooper in goatskin for probably half the price which will have all the acceptable hardware/knits.

Persimmon

Another vote for Aero from me

And who cares about the majority of those brainwashed Hat folk going against me.
Perhaps like Caesar I am crossing the Rubicon.

Thankfully there are enough sane chaps here who still put on the Hat occasionally to allow some sensible discussions over there.

A

Anonymous

Persimmon said:
Another vote for Aero from me

And who cares about the majority of those brainwashed Hat folk going against me.
Perhaps like Caesar I am crossing the Rubicon.

Thankfully there are enough sane chaps here who still put on the Hat occasionally to allow some sensible discussions over there.
cache.jpg

drew parker

Gibson & Barrnes historical goat . Great jacket. Fit is very comfortable, every time I go to wear one of my a-2s I most of the time grab this one. You can talk authinticty, leather details , but it all comes down to comfort & and for a guy that is 250lb 6ft 1 this is the jacket I pick. The goat on this jacket is really nice and it has a great look.

les_garten

Marv said:
I wouldn't class Gibson & Barnes as " Mall Bomber jackets " they are more mid-range in A2 repros.

Why buy a Mall jacket when you can get a decent Cooper in goatskin for probably half the price which will have all the acceptable hardware/knits.

The Coopers aren't the biggest POS I've ever seen, just a close second.

I had one, started to cut it up for Zipper pulls, but I did eventually sell it.

Still feel bad about not cutting it up for zipper pulls and handing them out as gifts to jacketHeads.

The "Mall Bomber" phrase I use as a Euphemism for a not exactly pattern correct, but very well built relaxed fit Jacket of good quality.

I'm really looking hard at the G&B 31. I think it is the "one"

I have Mr. French's old Hand me down G&B M-422a and it is really nice IMO.

But I had an Aero M-422a and couldn't wear it. The Aero was a 50 and the GB is a 46. The fit of the GB 46 was like a "Mall Bomber" compared to the Aero.