• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who Makes the Best M-422A?

damienweaver

I'm an A-2 man from way back, but am currently lusting after the M-422A. Which repro makers make a good one? I prefer a lighter goatskin tending toward russet. This one from Real Mccoy's looks like exactly what the doctor ordered, but price point is a bit high. Thoughts?

therealmccoys-m442-a_zps0eb112cd.jpg

img57554577_zps1652a747.jpg

img57554578_zpsa1a5473e.jpg

img57554579_zps906bb807.jpg

A

Anonymous

Not yet. All suppliers so far have been unable to produce it.
We now have on who looks promising, but one's got to pay to play, as usual.

damienweaver

PLATON said:
Not yet. All suppliers so far have been unable to produce it.
We now have on who looks promising, but one's got to pay to play, as usual.

Try to get those color knits! That would seal the deal for me. I think where Real Mccoy's japan and other Japanese makers succeed is they offer knit/leather combinations that may not be entirely historically accurate, but still look the part.

mindful

good wears the one who will seal the deal even though i am happy enough with my eastman leather ;)

damienweaver

Thanks for the input guys. Good Wear is off my list; the wait time is simply far too long. Would love to see fit pics of anyone in their M-422A.

Jeff M

damienweaver said:
Thanks for the input guys. Good Wear is off my list; the wait time is simply far too long. Would love to see fit pics of anyone in their M-422A.

Follow the link I posted earlier in this thread. It has photos of me wearing a vintage WW2 M422, a Good Wear repro M422 and a BK repro M422.
The first set of photos is the vintage Edmund T Church M422.
The second, the Good Wear.
The third set, the Bill Kelso.

Another manufacturer to check out is Aero Leather;

http://www.aeroleatherclothing.com/prod ... .php?id=98

They slipped my mind entirely as I don't think of my Aero as a M422.
I have a variation of their M422 design...sans mouton collar...that is very nice.

Good quality leather, well made.
Waiting time generally seems to be around 6-8 weeks as I recall.
Will custom make their jackets to your measurements (as does Good Wear).

PaulGT3

If your lusting after the M-422 try finding a real G-1 they are not so expensive and easy to find
until you can get exactly the M-422 you lust after. Just a thought

Jeff M

PaulGT3 said:
If your lusting after the M-422 try finding a real G-1 they are not so expensive and easy to find
until you can get exactly the M-422 you lust after. Just a thought

Yep. I recommend the same.
Here is a good site with information and photos of vintage M422's/G1's;

http://moorecustom.com/jackets/Moore_Jackets_navy.htm

Look for one prior to 1968, up thru contract G-1, MIL-J-7823C . Ones in good condition are not all that hard to find, depending on your size, and generally way less expensive than what the best repro M422 makers are charging for their jackets.

(The "D" contract, started in 1968, primarily used synthetic fur, which is not as nice/plush.)

A

Anonymous

Goodwear makes a great jacket no doubt, but the man asked for

lighter goatskin tending toward russet.

which I don't think anyone except the Japanese and Kelso has.

PaulGT3

I believe Goodwear will make a jacket with any leather or hide you request,
as it says on his website. The only issue is if you choose a leather/color that is
not usually used on that jacket its non-returnable.

A

Anonymous

Now that I looked at the Goodwear site,
must say, that he has a russet goatskin, to be exact.

Goatskin: reddish dark russet brown
LGI103
Tannage: chrome (soft hand)
Finish: aniline
Thickness: .9mm
» Online example

But the bottom line is, in a 15 months timespan anybody can bring you any kind of leather you ask for.