• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who made this Irvin ?

Peter Graham

I picked up this pre war Irvin copy during the summer, on a whim really. I thought it looked interesting. Although the pattern and details are not entirely correct and the zippers leave a lot to be desired, the materials and construction quality are absolutely top notch. It's been worn in nicely and I think it has the right 'look' about it. The lady I bought it from said that her late husband wore it in the 70's and I've no reason to doubt her. There are no labels in the jacket anywhere. Can anyone hazard a guess as to who made it ?

MikeyB-17

I think that looks bloody great! The average man in the street wouldn't know that from an original. Can't help with the maker though, mate.

Smithy

There was a crowd who made them out of Biggleswade back in the day, maybe one of those?

Andrew S will probably have an inkling.

Damn nice jacket whomever made it.

Roughwear

This 1970s jacket is very well styled and certainly looks the part. I am not able to definitely identify the maker, but I have seen early Aviation Leathercraft jackets with the collar strap on the right hand side and the same large buckle. Whoever made it they did a great job indeed.

havocpaul

Looks very like a Speedman's Leather RAF Jacket that were around in the late 1970's/early 1980's and advertised in the aviation mags and retailing through their store on the Old Kent Road. I had one and it was a great jacket, not sure if it had the strap on the "wrong" side though.

asiamiles

joeson said:
Nice 'wearer' but looks a bit on the large size for you.
It'll take more than that to persuade him to let it go cheap! :lol: Many - most? - Irvins were worn oversized, so I think the fit is totally appropriate.

John Lever

This is one of the Simon Green jackets from the 1970's. Great fit it could even be bigger.
I had one of these when I was a student in London.

flyboy

My first "Irvin" had the exact same zippers. It was from Aviation Leather Craft.
Bought it from Simon Green in 1973 or 1974.
As far as I remember it had a more "shiny" surface.
But if I had kept it - and used it - it might have looked like this one today.

Peter Graham

flyboy said:
It was from Aviation Leather Craft.

Thanks for all the input guys. I knew I'd get an answer here. Soren, I'm confused. Are Aviation Leathercraft and Simon Green one and the same ?

flyboy

Peter Graham said:
flyboy said:

Thanks for all the input guys. I knew I'd get an answer here. Soren, I'm confused. Are Aviation Leathercraft and Simon Green one and the same ?

This is my fathers old ALC IRVIN - also bought in the 70's

Stap in "the wrong side":

Same zip:

Roughwear

Peter Graham said:
flyboy said:

Yes! :)