• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who made the jacket for Indiana Jones movie?

Chandler

Swing said:
Remember, he'd already done Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, so he shouldn't have been too strapped for cash.

I think the "in between" carpentry work was somewhere after American Graffiti and before Star Wars.

I suppose bit-parts on Ironside and Gun Smoke can provide enough green for $300 shoes! ;)

Chandler

taikonaut

I heard there were 8 Vendors vying for the contract as jacket maker for Indy 4. Wested and Novak were amongst them, but who were the others?

Will Goodwear be trying to win the contract for Indy 5?

A

Anonymous

As for Flight Suits, I have one of their Indy jackets and love it (except for the upper sleeve/shoulder area, which drapes oddly on virtually every G&B jacket I have seen). I heard they were never even contacted for the new film, I've no idea why.

Same problem here.

Chandler

SuinBruin said:
the sleeves have vertical folds that make them drape funny (to my eye).

Sort of like Hilger, second from the left?

Raiders-003sm.jpg

Though I know the A-2 cuffs are far different from the Indy jacket and probably influence the way the sleeves hang.

Chandler

Atticus

Chandler said:
Swing said:
Remember, he'd already done Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, so he shouldn't have been too strapped for cash.

I think the "in between" carpentry work was somewhere after American Graffiti and before Star Wars.

I suppose bit-parts on Ironside and Gun Smoke can provide enough green for $300 shoes! ;)

Chandler

And don't forget his 1979 part in Apocalypse Now.

HarrisonFord_ApocalypseNow_Lucas-1.jpg

AF

Chandler

Atticus said:

AN came between Star Wars and Empire -- maybe before Han Solo was a household name? Don't know, but Chewbacca was pretty popular in my household at that time!

Chandler

Tommer45

taikonaut said:
Hi Tommer,
I use to be be an Indy fan but not in a big way as others. Can I ask what was your involvement in Indy 4? Is Nadoolman the wardrobe woman again?

Hey buddy... I worked for a few weeks on the film up in New Haven, CT. Most of the stuff they had us doing there was jumping out of the way of a car/motorcycle chase. My biggest (and still not too exciting) stunt was sitting in a library and diving out of the way when Indy's motorcycle crashed through my desk. It was pretty cool but like I said not too exciting (although having pins in my hand from surgery a few days prior made it a little cooler!).

I also drive up to campus in a cop car and run out to inspect where the "bad guys" car crashed (keep an eye out for the cop who gets out of the car, slips and falls to one knee.. then gets up and starts running again. I thought I blew the take and Spielberg said it was perfect..go figure!).

Nadoolman sounds VERY familiar.. perhaps she was on the show but honestly I can't remember. I've dealt with a bunch of wardrobe departments since then and really can't recall any names from Indy 4. I do however remember getting my first call from wardrobe and asking myself, "What the heck did she say her name was?".. so there is a very good chance it was Nadoolman. Wish I could be more help.

Tommer

taikonaut

Her name is Deborah Nadoolman Landis who had the idea for the original Indy gear look and worked in the first film but not the other two that followed. Many fans tries to contact her about how she got the first original props and the finer details though it is rare to get her to speak to you. I did communicated twice with her through email which in itself was rare.

SuinBruin

Chandler said:
SuinBruin said:
the sleeves have vertical folds that make them drape funny (to my eye).

Sort of like Hilger, second from the left?
Sort of, though the bend of the arm makes it hard to tell. G&B is the only manufacturer I've seen this from consistently, and it appears to transcend the Expedition design.

Also, my G&B fits true to size (40L), and I've owned other leather jackets without this problem, so I think it must be an issue of construction.

Chandler

SuinBruin said:
and I've owned other leather jackets without this problem, so I think it must be an issue of construction.

If you consider it a problem. My FS-GB A-2 fits like a true 44 too, and the hide "feels" thin, but I like its drape a lot. This sounds like another case of personal preference.

Chandler

SuinBruin

My Expedition is lamb, and drapes beautifully, apart from the upper arms. So I guess I'd have to say yeah, I consider it to be a problem. I thought some wear and tear would get it to drape differently, but so far, no dice.

I'd be curious to know what other G&B owners who have experienced this phenomenon think.

airfrogusmc

Atticus said:
Chandler said:
Swing said:

Chandler

HarrisonFord_ApocalypseNow_Lucas-1.jpg

AF

"execute with extreme prejudice" AAHH One of my all time favorite movies.

Tommer45

taikonaut said:
Her name is Deborah Nadoolman Landis who had the idea for the original Indy gear look and worked in the first film but not the other two that followed. Many fans tries to contact her about how she got the first original props and the finer details though it is rare to get her to speak to you. I did communicated twice with her through email which in itself was rare.

According to IMDB it looks like she hasn't done much since the late 90s... so I doubt it was her.

SuinBruin

Bernie Pollack handled all of Harrison Ford's costuming requirements for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, including procuring the hat and jacket. I understand that Ford uses him as his personal costumer on most if not all of his film projects these days.

taikonaut

SuinBruin said:
Bernie Pollack handled all of Harrison Ford's costuming requirements for Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, including procuring the hat and jacket. I understand that Ford uses him as his personal costumer on most if not all of his film projects these days.

Also word of mouth by way of introduction helps. Costume makers and filmmakers keeps a close relationship so that it can take advantage of their service for future film projects.
It was Peter Botwright of Wested that introduced Steve of AB to Bernie Pollack. That may never have happened if Indy fans over at COW hadn't raved about Steve's fedora.
Who knows similar things may happen to VLJ forum. A new WW2 avaiation film may just call the service of a maker that we praise here. Our favourite repro maker may have a look in on a major hollywood blockbuster edged on through recommendation by fans like us. I think deep down we all know who makes the most authentic looking A2. The current best crush cap repro maker is also a member here. Fans and forum site is an important mouthpiece for these manufacturers.