• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who made the jacket for Indiana Jones movie?

SuinBruin

Belstaff is selling licensed "official" jackets, but Nowak made those used in the film. (He will also apparently be making 777 copies for fans who want to purchase them.) It's unclear why Wested didn't get the gig, but at least part of it appears to have to do with location. Pollak wanted to use local people as much as possible, and Nowak is in SoCal.

As for the hat, it seems as though the heavy hitters for IJ4 wanted to go back to a more Raiders look, and the Herbert Johnsons used in that film were of the old school. It's actually remarkably difficult to find a wide-brimmed fedora with a high stovepipe crown, and so it's not that surprising that Delk and Kitter got the gig once the costumer became aware of their hats. They've been working on nailing the Raiders hat look for years, and if you're familiar with their product, you know how close they've come. Word is that Pollak gave other hatters months to try and get an Indy fedora together, and none of them could do it to his satisfaction.

Chandler

SuinBruin said:
...and Nowak is in SoCal.

So is Flight Suits.

It's actually remarkably difficult to find a wide-brimmed fedora with a high stovepipe crown, and so it's not that surprising that Delk and Kitter got the gig once the costumer became aware of their hats.

I understand what you're saying -- if you're looking at "in-stock" hats, but there are so many hat makers out there (not to mention costumers who make so many custom, period pieces for so many different films), that I find it strange there was any fretting over the look - especially from veteran Hollywood people.

One of my favorites: http://www.hatshop.com/

Chandler

SuinBruin

Chandler said:
I understand what you're saying -- if you're looking at "in-stock" hats, but there are so many hat makers out there (not to mention costumers who make so many custom, period pieces for so many different films), that I find it strange there was any fretting over the look - especially from veteran Hollywood people.

One of my favorites: http://www.hatshop.com/

Chandler
It's all about the block shape. The original Herbert Johnson "Poet" used in Raiders of the Lost Ark used an antiquated block that virtually no one has any more, and it lent a distinctive look to the hat. Thus, while many hatters are skilled enough to make an Indy fedora, very few, if any, had the right tool for the job. For instance, Baron's Hats in L.A. was given the chance to make the fedoras, but couldn't pull off the look.

As for Flight Suits, I have one of their Indy jackets and love it (except for the upper sleeve/shoulder area, which drapes oddly on virtually every G&B jacket I have seen). I heard they were never even contacted for the new film, I've no idea why.

taikonaut

I just been reading this at Indygear forum. There appear to be some heated debate over there, brand loyalty between fans and ridicule from at least one vender who accuse the other of nicking his pattern to get their jackets in the film to over charging fans. Unlike previous Indy films this one was nearly entirely filmed in the US closer to Speilberg's home because he want to stay near his family, so he said, therefore it was was a matter of location that got Nowak the contract. I do feel for Wested because initially they flew the owner all the way to LA and provided samples and assisted manufacture (so it was claimed) only for it to go to someone else. I recalled last summer on Wested's website they briefly announced that they were the jacket maker for Indy 4.

Chandler

SuinBruin said:
For instance, Baron's Hats in L.A. was given the chance to make the fedoras, but couldn't pull off the look.

I'll defer to your knowledge on all that, it's beyond my hobby interests, but It surprises me that there are no craftsmen out there who couldn't pull it off (or I should say, more than one). It seems like you can find almost any sort of special interest item available nowadays -- if you just research hard enough.

(except for the upper sleeve/shoulder area, which drapes oddly on virtually every G&B jacket I have seen).

Drapes odd on everyone, or just your particular body shape? I haven't seen one in person yet, but the different images I've seen from other owners around show a very nice jacket. Maybe they lost something in the translation from the original they copied?

Chandler

fishmeok

I was OCD over on the COW list for a while before I got back onto A-2's. The original Indy jacket was made specifically for Ford and for what he had to do in the movie- it has some odd features that don't always translate well to other body shapes. If you want an excellent Indy (meaning '30's) high crown fedora check out Akubra hats from down under. Their Federation model is superb- try finding another hat these days with an unblocked 5" crown...
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1890.jpg

SuinBruin

Chandler said:
Drapes odd on everyone, or just your particular body shape? I haven't seen one in person yet, but the different images I've seen from other owners around show a very nice jacket. Maybe they lost something in the translation from the original they copied?

Chandler
Odd on everyone, and apparently on non-Indy jackets, too. Here are some pics of several G&B Expeditions (not of me, though mine does the same thing) and one M-422a (I think) showing what I mean.... look at the upper arm area -- the sleeves have vertical folds that make them drape funny (to my eye). I have no idea what causes this, and the quality of the G&B's build is outstanding otherwise.
P3190008-vi.jpg

og-vi.jpg

P1010027-vi.jpg

1736342200_252f1313c6_o.jpg

EDIT: Add this pic of a G&B historical A-2, which may show the same issue.
FSA-2.jpg

mazeta

fishmeok said:
I was OCD over on the COW list for a while before I got back onto A-2's. The original Indy jacket was made specifically for Ford and for what he had to do in the movie- it has some odd features that don't always translate well to other body shapes. If you want an excellent Indy (meaning '30's) high crown fedora check out Akubra hats from down under. Their Federation model is superb- try finding another hat these days with an unblocked 5" crown...
Cheers
Mark

DSCN1890.jpg
I love those Akubra 'Adventurer' hats. One thing I'm OCD about is hat colors - I will only wear dark gray w/black band, got a closet full of fedoras...all the exact color! Does Akubra make that hat only in what they call 'Mid Brown'? If they make one in dark gray/black band, I'd appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
SuinBruin said:
-- the sleeves have vertical folds that make them drape funny (to my eye). I have no idea what causes this ...

In most cases it looks like the jacket is just a size too large.

A size down, and zipping closed, would pull them in at the shoulders. If that didn't work, I guess the sleeves are cut too wide, and/or they're set in too low.

Chandler

He really ought not to be walking around with his finger on the trigger like that... pointed at his foot...

Chandler

Chandler

deeb7 said:
In most cases it looks like the jacket is just a size too large.

I'd have to agree with that, especially with the Indy jackets pictured -- Ford's included!

Chandler

Tommer45

Just gonna add my two cents because I have some first hand experience with the actual jackets, even though everything appears to have been covered already.

While working on Indy 4, I got a chance to inspect the jackets first hand. There were no labels, but the head wardrobe woman informed me that Tony Nowak from LA was making all the jackets for the film (both Indy's jacket as well as the biker jacket that Shia LeBouf wears). They were very nice quality, and a far departure from the pictures on his website of jackets on the stars that appear to be comically oversized.

Also, after working on the film I got the Indy bug, and ordered a wested and an Adventurebilt Indy fedora. I do remember Wested's website mentioning that they were making all the jackets for Indy 4, and then removing that statement from the site shortly after. The reasons I heard were that Tony Nowak was local, and that they wanted a sturdier jacket that could hold up to more abuse...they shredded many a Wested on the first few Indy films). When I ordered the fedora last July from Steve Delk at Adventurebilt he informed me that the current wait time for his hats was about a year because he had the Indy 4 contract.

And the Alden boots Indy wears are thanks to Harrison Ford being a big Alden fan even before the films (so I've heard).

And the Crystal Skulls used in the film were actual, alien-made artifacts!!! j/k

Tommer

Chandler

Tommer45 said:
And the Alden boots Indy wears are thanks to Harrison Ford being a big Alden fan even before the films (so I've heard).

The Raiders Geeks can correct me here, but I'd heard that Ford was wearing Aldens when he was making ends meet with carpentry in-between parts (before he became a "star") and brought his beat up boots to the character. The rest is history -- now, if only I could afford $300 shoes while "in-between" gigs!

Chandler

taikonaut

Tommer45 said:
Just gonna add my two cents because I have some first hand experience with the actual jackets, even though everything appears to have been covered already.

While working on Indy 4, I got a chance to inspect the jackets first hand. There were no labels, but the head wardrobe woman informed me that Tony Nowak from LA was making all the jackets for the film (both Indy's jacket as well as the biker jacket that Shia LeBouf wears). They were very nice quality, and a far departure from the pictures on his website of jackets on the stars that appear to be comically oversized.

Also, after working on the film I got the Indy bug, and ordered a wested and an Adventurebilt Indy fedora. I do remember Wested's website mentioning that they were making all the jackets for Indy 4, and then removing that statement from the site shortly after. The reasons I heard were that Tony Nowak was local, and that they wanted a sturdier jacket that could hold up to more abuse...they shredded many a Wested on the first few Indy films). When I ordered the fedora last July from Steve Delk at Adventurebilt he informed me that the current wait time for his hats was about a year because he had the Indy 4 contract.

And the Crystal Skulls used in the film were actual, alien-made artifacts!!! j/k

Tommer

Hi Tommer,
I use to be be an Indy fan but not in a big way as others. Can I ask what was your involvement in Indy 4? Is Nadoolman the wardrobe woman again?
Yes that seems to be correct about Wested jackets many were damaged during filming of the 3 previous films, about 50. They can definately afford to lose many more jackets but the practicality making and altering them on location did favoured Nowak. The advantage with lower quality jacket as been the case with Wested, I believe they were lamb skin for ROTLA, the costumer can easily stress it and alter the way it looks, afterall they only serve as appearance for films not for robust practical everyday wear that last a lifetime. I think as long as the jacket looks good on film actual quality is a poor second. My friend is in involved in the TV/film business and he thinks film wear are more often than not cheaply made stuff.
What I have noticed with the trailers I seen of Indy 4 the jacket looks heavy and with an ageing Harrison Ford he could do with something lighter to help his movements.

taikonaut

Steve actually won the contract for Indy 4? He emailed me 3 years ago about a Fedora but I didnt place an order. At the time we all agree at the COW forum that he should get the contract if and when a new film comes along. I guess costumers of the film do take notice of that forum.

Swing

Chandler said:
He really ought not to be walking around with his finger on the trigger like that... pointed at his foot...

Chandler

First thing I noticed... hammer cocked, finger on the trigger. All the action movies he's done, and you'd think he'd know how to pretend he knows how to handle a firearm.

~Swing

Swing

Chandler said:
Tommer45 said:

The Raiders Geeks can correct me here, but I'd heard that Ford was wearing Aldens when he was making ends meet with carpentry in-between parts (before he became a "star") and brought his beat up boots to the character. The rest is history -- now, if only I could afford $300 shoes while "in-between" gigs!

Chandler

Remember, he'd already done Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back, so he shouldn't have been too strapped for cash.

~Swing