• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

who made the jacket for Indiana Jones movie?

SuinBruin

Jackets for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were made by Peter Botwright of Wested Leather Co. in England. Jackets for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were apparently made by Cooper (now U.S. Wings). All three jackets were lamb.

Jackets for the new movie were made by Tony Nowak, and are cowhide.

dr.zak

what about the G-1 worn by maverick mitchell TOM CRUISE in TOP GUN ?
im assuming that it is a real period jacket and probably an early 50's LW foster ..
any one got any ideas ..

best regards...

Hawkeye

dr.zak said:
im assuming that it is a real period jacket and probably an early 50's LW foster ..
any one got any ideas ..

best regards...

I havent seen Top Gun in a few years, but I seem to recall that the collar on Cruises G-1 was real mouton. Seems a bit unrealistic considering mouton was phased out in favour of that synthetic crap in 69-70, and Top Gun was set in the mid 80s. Guess the filmmakers at least knew what looked good, and what didnt.

Tron

Hawkeye said:
dr.zak said:
any one got any ideas ..

best regards...

I havent seen Top Gun in a few years, but I seem to recall that the collar on Cruises G-1 was real mouton. Seems a bit unrealistic considering mouton was phased out in favour of that synthetic crap in 69-70, and Top Gun was set in the mid 80s. Guess the filmmakers at least knew what looked good, and what didnt.

I believe Maverick's jacket was supposed to be his father "Duke" Mitchell's jacket. There are references to his father having served on the Oriskiny which might explain the age of the jacket and some of the patches (just like in "The Bridges At Toko-Ri).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2069/237 ... 33.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3094/237 ... 12.jpg?v=0

Tron

asiamiles

Wested made most of the lambskin jackets for the original Indy trilogy. I think Avirex made the jackets for Top Gun.

Who

SuinBruin said:
Jackets for Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade were made by Peter Botwright of Wested Leather Co. in England. Jackets for Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom were apparently made by Cooper (now U.S. Wings). All three jackets were lamb.

That's correct. And might I say - thank God they've moved from lamb. I was hoping for goat this time, but cow will do. Some of the more anal fans think the new jacket is a violation - pretty funny.

dr.zak

asiamiles said:
I think Avirex made the jackets for Top Gun.

i believe the jacket was a real period issue...ive been told once by an old collector that the jacket of Top Gun was the same one that was used In "Bridges at toko Ri" ....2 patches were already there...

but yet not sure ..although the characteristics of the jacket makes me believe that it is a Foster ..but yet im clueless ..

best regards .

Hawkeye

Who said:
SuinBruin said:

That's correct. And might I say - thank God they've moved from lamb. I was hoping for goat this time, but cow will do. Some of the more anal fans think the new jacket is a violation - pretty funny.

Lamb was pretty damn unrealistic to begin with. Never mind the Ark melting bad guys faces, the most unrealistic part of Raiders was having a lambskin jacket dragged behind a truck without getting ripped to shreds. :lol: Im not sure how well cow could hold up, if at all, but certainly better than lamb.

Hawkeye

From what little I see from the existing publicity, I dont think thats an Irvin, or anything made by Eastman, Aero, Leathercraft, etc. It looks like another Irvin/B-3 "inspired" film jacket designed by the costume department. They did the same thing for Sky Captain and the World of Tommorrow.

Mark P

The Sunday Times in the UK today says that Belstaff (was British, now an Italian company trying to do a 'Burberry') made the jacket for the latest Indiana Jones movie. Right or wrong I don't know but it sounds like good product placement.

Tron

Mark P said:
The Sunday Times in the UK today says that Belstaff (was British, now an Italian company trying to do a 'Burberry') made the jacket for the latest Indiana Jones movie. Right or wrong I don't know but it sounds like good product placement.
The official Indiana Jones site has video of the costumer talking about who made the jackets and hats. Regardless of what else is written or said, Tony Nowak made the Indy IV jackets and Steve Delk and Marc Kitter of Adventurebilt made the hats.

Tron

Chandler

This short was printed in our local paper over the weekend, I found it on the Chicago Tribune syndicate -- I thought you Fedora Lounge boys might get a laugh:

When audiences flock to see the fourth "Indiana Jones" installment this week, chances are slim that the first sight of Indy's weathered fedora and leather jacket back on the big screen will elicit anything more than a quick smile of recognition. No one will ponder how tough it was, after nearly two decades, to re-create the archeologist's signature look. Or who was charged with the task.

That would be Bernie Pollack.

Pollack's goal when he became involved with "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" as Harrison Ford's wardrobe designer was to re-create the classic costume flawlessly.

"The last film was made 18 years ago," says Pollack (he's Sydney's brother). "Everybody that worked on it was out of business. The hatmaker was gone. The costumer was gone. So I had to start from scratch. I had to find fabric, find people who could make it. I mean, I'm making an iconic movie. He has got to look as good or better than in the other films in the series."

Steven Spielberg, upon seeing Ford in character, was relieved with what Pollack had pulled off after an exhaustive search for fabrics and craftsmen. "The first day we went in to test the hat," Pollack recalls, "Steven said, 'Oh, thank God.' "

Wonder why they didn't just check with all the fans?

Chandler

Chandler

John Lever said:
I wonder why they didn't use Wested ?

Maybe they didn't like the zipper on the other side? :D

Seriously, I wondered the same. Not to mention that I find it odd that Spielberg was "worried" about the "look." I mean, c'mon -- the "costume" is based on clothing that's been classic for years, there are plenty of hat makers out there creating great fedoras who could have easily assuaged his fears, not to mention all the jacket makers -- look at Flight Suits repro of the Indy jacket -- I'm sure they would have been less pricy than Tony Nowak!

Do you suppose Ford still had the same boots he brought in for the character back in '81?

Chandler