• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which A-2 contract is this?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
herk115 said:
My choices are now 1) sew something over it, which was pretty much my intention ...

I'd go with #1 ...

I've just removed a repair patch from the elbow of a Brooks cafe racer, and that turned out to be also glued. I've removed some of it by rubbing, and rubbing with turpentine, but yeah ... I've now found a near matching scrap of green leather, and I'm going to put it back just how it was.

RCSignals

herk115 said:
Silver Surfer said:
be careful with turpintine, as it has a tendency to leave a stain on old leather. if ya use it, try an area not seen, ie: under side of the pocket flap. if the paint is water based laytex, or acrylic, try scrunching up the area, and some of it may just flake off. also, you may soak the area with warm water, and the water will seep under the paint. again, scrunch the area, and some of the paint may peel off [this sometimes works with oil based paint]. acetone works best on oil based paint, you can even try cutting it with water. apply some to a rag, and rub a small area of paint. go to another area and repeat. do again as needed. one of the best tools for this kinda work is patience. best of luck.

Okay, I've got a question. I've just removed the 357th FS patch from my Eastman 1401, and apparently the patch had been held in place with some kind of glue prior to being sewn. The result is a four-inch blemish on an otherwise pristine jacket. My choices are now 1) sew something over it, which was pretty much my intention; 2) try to fix it, and 3) leave it in place as the beginning of the patina from Hell. #2 would be nice. Part of the blemish appears to be glue residue, and other parts seem to be where the very outer layer (>0.1mm) of the leather (or dye) has been pulled off. Any suggestions?

I'm with David, sew something over it. Glue can be a tough one. With luck they just used white glue and water will soften it, but more likely it's something very permanent. The finish to try to match would take some leather dye, and it's probably always going to be obvious. Acetone to try to remove the glue will make things worse.
Sometimes you get lucky and glue will almost rub off, but you are already having the finish come away with the glue so it's permeated the finish layer.