• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which A-2 contract is this?

bazelot

Hi, I just bought this jacket but haven't received it yet. It looks like it is a relined Aero A-2 with its original Talon zipper. The nameplate is in a unusual spot.

jacket1-1.jpg

jacket3.jpg

jacket2.jpg

Roughwear

Tom, it sure looks like an Aero to me-ring snaps, square corners to the pockets, typical Aero collar and epaulets. It should keep you warm with that quilted reline job! ;)

bazelot

Roughwear said:
Tom, it sure looks like an Aero to me-ring snaps, square corners to the pockets, typical Aero collar and epaulets. It should keep you warm with that quilted reline job! ;)

Thanks Andrew. I will try to remove the paint on it but that may be wishful thinking :). Going a bit further in the wishful thinking department would be to hope that the original lining is still under that beautiful quilted reline :)

Is thta a bombardier wing on the chest?

bazelot

Dr H said:
How are you going to tackle the paint(?) Tom?

I am afraid I will have to. Not very excited about it though. I heard some in the forum had great results.

RCSignals

if the paint is old oil based stuff you might try a bit of pure turpentine to remove it. Hopefully the paint hasn't penetrated the leather.

Andrew

Tom try cutips with acetone- (nail polish remover). That's what Victor recommended to me and I managed get the paint off my 27752. Take it easy and watch the original surface doesn't come too if you're too vigorous. I found a little bit came with the paint but not enough to leave a mark. Having said that mine wasn't anything like the damage yours has.

Just another example of what were they thinking? "Yup, time to paint the house- better go and put on my trusty flight jacket"

bazelot

Andrew said:
Tom try cutips with acetone- (nail polish remover). That's what Victor recommended to me and I managed get the paint off my 27752. Take it easy and watch the original surface doesn't come too if you're too vigorous. I found a little bit came with the paint but not enough to leave a mark. Having said that mine wasn't anything like the damage yours has.

Just another example of what were they thinking? "Yup, time to paint the house- better go and put on my trusty flight jacket"

Yeah there is a fair amount!! :)
I will try acetone and let you know.

Dr H

I'd leave acetone until the last resort - try milder organic solvents first - with nitrile or latex gloves, vented room/outside and eye protection. Good luck

Peter Graham

Good luck in removing the paint Tom. Take your time. It's a long and boring process but that is potentially a great looking jacket. Love the wings. They really give it character.

bazelot

Peter Graham said:
Good luck in removing the paint Tom. Take your time. It's a long and boring process but that is potentially a great looking jacket. Love the wings. They really give it character.

Thanks Peter. I got a sweet deal on this one. I no longer collect jackets but I could not pass it up. I mostly collect WWII Navy flight helmets now and they are not cheap.

I will take my sweet time with the paint as i do not want to damage it further. What is it with vets repainting their house in their flight jackets!!!???

herk115

bazelot said:
Peter Graham said:
What is it with vets repainting their house in their flight jackets!!!???

The problem is not unique to A-2s. Five or six years ago I was fortunate to purchase a beautiful 1960s Project Apollo flight suit, the light blue ones worn by the astronauts. The seller wouldn't tell me who the original owner was, but it was obvious the schmuck used it not only to paint his house but to work on his car as well. Fortunately all the stains are small, so there is really no need to remove them, but it is just beyond me how some people can have such total disregard for priceless historical artifacts.

bazelot

So I received the jacket today. It turns out the quilted lining is only for the body, the sleeves still retain the original mustard lining. This quilted lining was added when the guy was in service. There was a round patch on the chest and it was sewn on to the quilt. that is an interesting period addition to an A-2. I assume thta he used this jacket instead of the B-3 to flight high altitude.
THe leather is in fairly good shape and while i am not a fan of Pecard I think this one would probably look a ton better with alight coat of the stuff.

Silver Surfer

be careful with turpintine, as it has a tendency to leave a stain on old leather. if ya use it, try an area not seen, ie: under side of the pocket flap. if the paint is water based laytex, or acrylic, try scrunching up the area, and some of it may just flake off. also, you may soak the area with warm water, and the water will seep under the paint. again, scrunch the area, and some of the paint may peel off [this sometimes works with oil based paint]. acetone works best on oil based paint, you can even try cutting it with water. apply some to a rag, and rub a small area of paint. go to another area and repeat. do again as needed. one of the best tools for this kinda work is patience. best of luck.

Peter Graham

bazelot said:
So I received the jacket today. It turns out the quilted lining is only for the body, the sleeves still retain the original mustard lining. This quilted lining was added when the guy was in service. There was a round patch on the chest and it was sewn on to the quilt.
Tom, if that's the case, the original lining and label way well be underneath, but there's only one way to find out. :?

Roughwear

It is not unusual to find the original lining remaining when an A2 has been re-lined. But to find the label still in place would be excellent.

herk115

Silver Surfer said:
be careful with turpintine, as it has a tendency to leave a stain on old leather. if ya use it, try an area not seen, ie: under side of the pocket flap. if the paint is water based laytex, or acrylic, try scrunching up the area, and some of it may just flake off. also, you may soak the area with warm water, and the water will seep under the paint. again, scrunch the area, and some of the paint may peel off [this sometimes works with oil based paint]. acetone works best on oil based paint, you can even try cutting it with water. apply some to a rag, and rub a small area of paint. go to another area and repeat. do again as needed. one of the best tools for this kinda work is patience. best of luck.

Okay, I've got a question. I've just removed the 357th FS patch from my Eastman 1401, and apparently the patch had been held in place with some kind of glue prior to being sewn. The result is a four-inch blemish on an otherwise pristine jacket. My choices are now 1) sew something over it, which was pretty much my intention; 2) try to fix it, and 3) leave it in place as the beginning of the patina from Hell. #2 would be nice. Part of the blemish appears to be glue residue, and other parts seem to be where the very outer layer (>0.1mm) of the leather (or dye) has been pulled off. Any suggestions?