• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where's Miles Archer ?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
John Lever said:
Has Tranquillitybase gone then ?

And Jeff stopped posting .... 14 August 2008.

rotenhahn said:
I've been warned- I have a cloud hanging over my head but this latest thing is just too much- like fighting with a 12 year old- ("I'm young and cool and idealistic- you're OLD and MEAN!"). Lately the forum's become like some weird corollary to the Woody Allen quote: "Any club which wouldn't have the likes of Tranquility and p40 is no club for me!" So- see ya!

T-Bolt

I think Miles will be back. he has been gone for short periods in the past. He probably is busy with something else right now.

I believe Miles and Grant are friends and both are in the NYC area. Maybe Grant knows what Mr. Archer is up to.

Grant....if you see this thread give us a heads up.

Ted

Grant

Miles had enough of the incorrect information and bullshit from some of the "expert" forum members, so like many serious collectors, has split. No need to worry though, as he continues to collect some sick jackets. Hopefully, I'm meeting up with the lucky bastard tomorrow to check out the latest - Bronco, Dubow, blah, blah, blah.

Grant

Peter Graham

Grant said:
Miles had enough of the incorrect information and bullshit from some of the "expert" forum members, so like many serious collectors, has split.
That's a shame. Tell him I was asking after him.

John Lever

Peter Graham said:
Grant said:
Miles had enough of the incorrect information and bullshit from some of the "expert" forum members, so like many serious collectors, has split.
That's a shame. Tell him I was asking after him.
Me too.
He's still on the member list though.

Chandler

Grant said:
so like many serious collectors

So what's the definition of "serious?" Not a member of VLJ? Seems just a little elitist -- or sensitive, if nothing else. It's only a web forum, not world politics.

Chandler

zoomer

Miles is an elitist. Of the best kind. The been-there, done-that, and-if-you-haven't-quit-flappin-yer-yap kind.
I got cut down to size by him once or twice, and I'm actually semi-grateful for it, tho it wasn't much fun.

As for "serious," that more or less means "got into it early, did it the hard way, never paid sucker prices and never had to."

Clark J

Hey what's the web site out there for the serious collectors I'd like to join it I've become weary of you commoners!!........$$$$=serious I guess.

zoomer

It's also an East Coast thing (I lived there for years). Even if you're not a posturing jerk, there is a competitive, ranking instinct. People want to be top dog. I think that, along with sheer population density, helps explain why so many of the great collections of anything grow there.

Chandler

zoomer said:
The been-there, done-that kind

Been there, done what?

I been a lotta places, done a lotta things -- I don't think it makes me better than everyone else.

Unless you're gonna tell me he was a B-17 or P-38 pilot in WW2 or has a CIB, I'm not gonna be terribly impressed. 'Course, that also doesn't mean I can't like him for who he is, either -- always enjoyed his viewpoint.

Why so serious?

Chandler

zoomer

Well...what we came to words on was jacket makers. I made a blanket statement (maybe I should say jacket statement) on how nobody ever made so and so with such and such kind of zip or stitch or geek thing. Miles quite understandably called my bluff, saying he'd seen and even owned quite a few such pieces, and suggesting that those of us who get most of their info from .jpgs, auctions, classifieds and dead reckoning ought to defer to guys with hands-on experience. I can't argue with that.

Atticus

zoomer said:
...It's also an East Coast thing (I lived there for years). Even if you're not a posturing jerk, there is a competitive, ranking instinct. People want to be top dog...

When you say "East Coast", you're clearly not referring to the Southeast Coast.....are you?

Alpha Male

John Lever

Atticus said:
zoomer said:
...It's also an East Coast thing (I lived there for years). Even if you're not a posturing jerk, there is a competitive, ranking instinct. People want to be top dog...

When you say "East Coast", you're clearly not referring to the Southeast Coast.....are you?

Alpha Male
He's never been the same since he joined ' The Squadron '

zoomer

Atticus, I was thinking more BosNYWash Megalopolis. That big glop of electric light you see from space.
BosWash-Night-Labeled.png

-Beta-Test Male (work in progress; developer assumes no liability for crashes)