• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the Good Wears Gone? An Opinion Piece.

Dom

Need
Some pics minus the background...;)

Here is the 27553 minus the red Pitts wing in the background...
A6EC448E-634A-4916-BD18-E442E481CAD7.jpeg
7839C563-2DDE-418B-9A96-AC73C5E82AB9.jpeg
0203C771-5140-46C2-B7C2-0DFC6276C5B2.jpeg
72142E89-221B-417B-BA10-3BC2B2F4BA2D.jpeg

Officer Dibley

Posted before, but here are 3 of the 4.
RW 27752, lovely in a ll respects... one size too big
View attachment 54840
RW1401 size 40, fit well, but sleeves were too short. Looks ok in pic, but lifting arms brought cuffs way up. Also, did not like the reddy/ orange Shinki colour.
View attachment 54839
Monarch 44, lovely jacket, just felt a bit roomy in the torso and a touch short in the back.
View attachment 54841

You are right, they are too big. Would have been easy to eat more pies and then they would fit :D
Dave

foster

I think the long wait times for new production have resulted in many who own a GW having more of a tendency to not part with the jackets they own. I know John's queue (and wait time) has fluctuated over the years, but it's not as easy to part with one if you know there's a commitment to endure some waiting should one desire to replace it with a new one.

Some of it also is market saturation, I think. There are more options for A-2 replicas now than there were 8-10 years ago. Think of how many jackets GW, DD, Aero, Eastman, BK, Platon, 5Star, etc have made over just the last 5 years.

As long as a jacket fits, I have no plans to sell another of mine again. The last time I sold a GW, it was a difficult decision to talk myself into listing it. Then it ended in disaster and drama without the proper resolution between the buyer and myself. The lesson of this is simple - once a GW is gone, it's not so simple to replace it.

Chandler

Precisely why I’ll never get the hang of jacket identification LOL
Hah. I know what you mean.

FWIW -- I have it on good authority that my jacket was based on a Cable Raincoat pattern, but made with locally sourced steerhide.

I guess JC didn't have Cable labels made up yet at this point and used the proprietary labels he'd had made up.