• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where have all the Good Wears Gone? An Opinion Piece.

Micawber

My 2009 GW Star in light russet Shinki. JC said this was the second Star he ever made. This was up for sale for a while as I had outgrown it (due to illness) but since losing weight (again due to illness lol) it feels right again. Having survived the potential cull and deciding to keep it I added one of my own patches in memory of a good friend and crew who served with the 600BS 398th BGH.

20210309_140959.jpg
20210309_141707.jpg
20210309_141454.jpg

blackrat2

I think there are a fair amount of people that don’t start threads but will happily post the odd pic in the “What you wearing section”..don’t get me wrong that’s a great thread but arguably precludes anyone wanting to start a thread on a new jacket purchase when they can post a couple quick pics up and answer the odd question within the “what you wearing thread”
GW has also been around now for sometime, so naturally interest has moved to the newer makers on the block, arguably its the same with ELC unless they bring a new jacket out and Aero, the new tea tree? colouring,new Irvin skins and Black Irvins prompted interest but between these three makers they must sell a heap of jackets that folk here don’t post up on individual threads

Micawber

I bought this already well lived in 'Acme' from a fellow VLJ member two, three, maybe more years ago. Once re-cuffed it instantly became a firm favourite and has been regularly worn working outside in all weathers, often drenched with rainor soaked fixing water troughs, driving and repairing tractors, cars, trucks etc., training the dogs, sorting the horses, and 101 other physical jobs. This jacket shrugs it all off, feels so right and just gets better and better...

20210309_141218.jpg
20210309_141519.jpg
20210309_141632.jpg

Edited to add this photo as the sunlight washed out the colour of the knits in the above...

20210309_141122.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

My 2009 GW Star in light russet Shinki. JC said this was the second Star he ever made. This was up for sale for a while as I had outgrown it (due to illness) but since losing weight (again due to illness lol) it feels right again. Having survived the potential cull and deciding to keep it I added one of my own patches in memory of a good friend and crew who served with the 600BS 398th BGH.

View attachment 54915View attachment 54916View attachment 54917
I bought this already well lived in 'Acme' from a fellow VLJ member two, three, maybe more years ago. Once re-cuffed it instantly became a firm favourite and has been regularly worn working outside in all weathers, often drenched with rainor soaked fixing water troughs, driving and repairing tractors, cars, trucks etc., training the dogs, sorting the horses, and 101 other physical jobs. This jacket shrugs it all off, feels so right and just gets better and better...

View attachment 54918View attachment 54919View attachment 54920
Both of these are real beauties, bearing out that if you want your jacket to look good treat it like you would an old pair of jeans and just wear it daily , no matter what the weather or job you’re trying to finish .

Chandler

Been promising some pics of this one. The story behind it isn't completely clear, but from the second owner (and a reliable source); this was one of John's early prototypes. Sold to a chat forum member from the pre-VLJ days, then passed on to the second owner -- and to me.

Not sure what the hide is, but it's very grainy and pliable with a sort of "waxy" hand. The zipper is a NOS brass Conmar with olive tape. Size is 46, but fits kind of snug in the sleeve-to-shoulder seams and the sleeves are very long. The knits are first class weave. Color is fairly close to in-person, but my mobile phone always adds some red to odd spots. The hide is a deep brown.

You'll see from the spec tag image that this jacket has no maker name other than Good Wear and a one digit fudged contract number.

hcema0W.jpg

vVp87IL.jpg

B-Man2

Been promising some pics of this one. The story behind it isn't completely clear, but from the second owner (and a reliable source); this was one of John's early prototypes. Sold to a chat forum member from the pre-VLJ days, then passed on to the second owner -- and to me.

Not sure what the hide is, but it's very grainy and pliable with a sort of "waxy" hand. The zipper is a NOS brass Conmar with olive tape. Size is 46, but fits kind of snug in the sleeve-to-shoulder seams and the sleeves are very long. The knits are first class weave. Color is fairly close to in-person, but my mobile phone always adds some red to odd spots. The hide is a deep brown.

You'll see from the spec tag image that this jacket has no maker name other than Good Wear and a one digit fudged contract number.

hcema0W.jpg

vVp87IL.jpg
I think this one looks pretty nice, and talk about an original ! This is one of the earliest GWs I’ve ever seen .

Chandler

I think this one looks pretty nice, and talk about an original ! This is one of the earliest GWs I’ve ever seen .
It's one of my collection that's up for sale, I just need to finalize details.

The first owner added a squadron and name patch, but it really is hard to see the holes because the leather is so pliable.

ausreenactor

hcema0W.jpg

vVp87IL.jpg

For an early GW it has almost no wear.. .

Hide is stunning. Would not be many with that label...