• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When is an Goodwear JC jacket not a Goodwear JC jacket ???

RCSignals

Re: When is an Goodwear JC jacket not a Goodwear JC jacket ?

grommet said:
......... With a few more picture postings like this I may have to move on to the VINTAGE MILITARY LEGGINGS FORUM. ;)

You just want a different variety of photos, and know someone will take the lead. :)

siddhartha

Administrator

I'm sure that IF JC decided at some point to get help to actually produce the jackets, they'd be made to his exacting standards, and quality would be assured. I trust the man's judgement, just as we trust him to make the jackets we pay good $ for.

Nor would I consider Eastman to be a "mass produced" jacket by any means. If that were the case, you'd order, and get the jacket in a day or so. It's not like they have racks and racks of pre-made jackets. Plenty are made solely as the order comes up.

Although I love a small, one-man operation, I also don't understand why some people have to denigrate a company once it expands. Think of Starbucks-they started as a small operation, now they are ubiquitous. They wanted to be successful, and "made it." Now tons of people "hate" them as they've popped up everywhere.
Our little slice of the world is far more unique in its membership, and I celebrate anyone who can "make it" in this tough economy.

John Lever

Totally agree.
If John were to remain a single man operation, his turnover may not cover all his costs and cause him to cease altogether. Having run a small business I know how difficult it can be to make any profit at all.

tater

From talking to John about running a small, boutique business making super high quality products, I can say without any doubt in my mind, there is no problem. Never mind that he's still making all the jackets himself (which he is). Even if he had an assistant at some point in the indeterminate future I cannot imagine him allowing anything out of the shop that is not first rate.

Quite simply, he's just not that kind of guy, he's simply too passionate about quality. As someone who used to do similarly compulsive work, I'd even wager the bigger problem is being too obsessed with quality, not the other way around.

RCSignals

siddhartha said:

Although I love a small, one-man operation, I also don't understand why some people have to denigrate a company once it expands. Think of Starbucks-they started as a small operation, now they are ubiquitous. They wanted to be successful, and "made it." Now tons of people "hate" them as they've popped up everywhere.
Our little slice of the world is far more unique in its membership, and I celebrate anyone who can "make it" in this tough economy.

I agree, and maybe it's a sign of out times. "Big" has become bad when you add it to the front of anything. It's used to demonise anything you want to be against. 'Big Business' 'Big Coffee' 'Big Tobacco' 'Big Oil' etc