• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

s4rmark

Unusually Chilly wind up the mountains in Mijas pueblo, Spain for this time of year, we were pre warned to bring a sweater so the Buzz zipped sweater did the job.
IMG_1449.jpeg

B-Man2

Thank-you.
It was like that on delivery, arms too big, color too light and above all stiff as justice!
Neatsfoot oil to soften and color, soak the arms for 15 minutes in a bucket of lukewarm water then drum dry to soften and promote reduction.

cavo.jpg

s8yk.jpg
Neatsfoot oil?
Just wondering how that worked out.
Seems that it would leave a very uneven finish to the leather .
Could you please post a few close ups ?
Thanks

Micawber

I have experience working with and refinishing leather. My experience is that the neatsfoot oil effect will eventually fade a bit as it dries over time.

As an aside, and as I have mentioned on this forum previously, I have a good friend who is one of the top leather harness makers in this country [some of his work will set you back the cost of several jackets by top tier makers] who hates Neatsfoot oil. He reckons repeated use over time causes the leather fibres to swell and weaken and also has the potential to rot cotton stitching. My own experience is that it can leach through stitch holes, wick through threads and stain fabric it contacts.

flyincowboy

I will second this neatfoots is not the best for leather must be used with care like petreoleum jelly obviously most of the products for leather are petroleum based and not that good ...use only natural stuff oil, bee wax based to treat your favorite jacket.

Cimmerian

I will second this neatfoots is not the best for leather must be used with care like petreoleum jelly obviously most of the products for leather are petroleum based and not that good ...use only natural stuff oil, bee wax based to treat your favorite jacket.
I wish we had a definitive list of the best products to use rather than so many factions on leather treatment