• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Micawber

Copious amounts of rain this week so I have mostly been wearing one Barbour waxproof or another - including this over 50 year old Solway Zipper*.
Photo taken during a rare bit of sunshine.

IMG_2667.jpeg

* No crest label. The Royal Warrant crest first appeared on Barbour labels in 1974.

newagegeezer

They are real classics.....I also wore a waxed jacket yesterday, seems to be the UK's rainy season, when I just ventured out to the shops, a '70s Belstaff m/cycle jacket. also have an ankle length Australian Drizabone which I bought in Sydney in late '70s for when it really pours. 50 odd years old and they still keep you dry.

Grant

Copious amounts of rain this week so I have mostly been wearing one Barbour waxproof or another - including this over 50 year old Solway Zipper*.
Photo taken during a rare bit of sunshine.

* No crest label. The Royal Warrant crest first appeared on Barbour labels in 1974.

Wow, beautiful Barbour! There's only one way to get them looking that good..

Lord Flashheart

Phil
Do you ever get water coming thru the seams on your Barbour ? I’ve waxed mine yearly but occasionally I get a few drops of water coming thru.

I've never particularly noticed leaking seams Burt but then if I'm wearing a wax proof I'm usually expecting to get pretty wet anyway especially around collar and cuffs if I'm in the driving rain. On the worst days I do usually find my leather shooting gloves get soaked and my hat has the properties of a sponge. But then I've seen breathable field jackets get pretty damp too.

I suspect that everyone has their own tried and trusted method of re-waxing. I tend to make sure I've melted the thornproof dressing by letting the open tin stand in a saucepan of boiled water first and then apply it very soft/ almost liquid giving the shoulders, collar a seams a liberal dose. I always then use a hairdryer over the jacket to even the spread of the wax and drive it into the seams. Then leave it somewhere warm for a couple of days. Seems to work for me.