• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Erwin

Hey,

The weaving on this knit from Your picture is neat, however, the upper zigzag rib pattern is not very tight in my opinion. This is very interesting to see pictures of these single-layer knitted elements. At this moment, I'm "working" on the restoration of one G1 from the '50s [where the knitted waistband has a single-layer construction]:

a) against the strong source of light:
52829880767_3cdf64810e_b.jpg

b) under the direct source of light:
52830450871_6a310ae15a_b.jpg

John Luder

Hey,

The weaving on this knit from Your picture is neat, however, the upper zigzag rib pattern is not very tight in my opinion. This is very interesting to see pictures of these single-layer knitted elements. At this moment, I'm "working" on the restoration of one G1 from the '50s [where the knitted waistband has a single-layer construction]:

a) against the strong source of light:
52829880767_3cdf64810e_b.jpg

b) under the direct source of light:
52830450871_6a310ae15a_b.jpg
I have an unlabeled G1 of indeterminate age and provenance, other than online from a Salvation Army seller.
It feels like goat and the collar looks like wool, but I'm not going to hold a match to it to see if there's any synthetic in there.
The stitching where the label was looks like the usual government size, as opposed to the large commercial labels.
It has two layers, the bottom edge being the fold, the selvedge edges being sewn into the leather seam.
It doesn't feel right to have a single layer, and, I'd guess the longevity will be decreased by one layer taking all of the beating of rubbing and stretching.
The cuffs on the new 6552 are doubled.
Signed, a confused man

ZuZu

Query for One and All: Has anyone every got/gotten a jacket that had a single layer of knit for the waist band? I never have. My distressed 5* AN6552 is in the shop having the sleeves shortened, so I can't compare apples to Äpfel. The new one, also from 5* is a pip (or pippen), but the waist band is a single layer, as shown. Only just emailed them today at 1100 my time, 2300 theirs, so no response yet. Thoughts and comments welcomed.
Cheers
View attachment 106915View attachment 106917
They're supposed to be one layer on the waistband. The double layer was a G-1 7823D thing- before that (with one exception I know of) they all have a single layer of wool knitting.

John Luder

They're supposed to be one layer on the waistband. The double layer was a G-1 7823D thing- before that (with one exception I know of) they all have a single layer of wool knitting.
Well, shit howdy, and I'll be go-ta-hell. Whodda thunk it? K'den, that's my one learnt thing for today, and with the time differences, for yesterday and tomorrow, too, by Gum.