• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

Smithy

I just ordered one of those. It was mailed the other day, just before the end of pre-Christmas mailing. Its departure from KY has been delayed by the bum cyclone. I'm going to play with my mouton to see if I can change the appearance without messing up the polyester pile.
I'm wondering if I should make mine with my stepfather's 760th panther, and rank on the shoulders, or leave it alone.
If you can't wear that in the 40s, how will I ever wear mine in the 50s? Oh, the Humanity.

Sorry to be the harbinger of ill news but the first run were far, far better than the current run. I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that MauldinFan's one is one of the first run. I bought two of the first run when they came out as they're damn good jackets.

The difference between the first run and the current one...

First run:

NAWhNi0.jpeg

Current one:

b10-jacket-worn-side.jpg

Heaven knows why they changed the pattern and some of the details.

John Luder

Sorry to be the harbinger of ill news but the first run were far, far better than the current run. I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that MauldinFan's one is one of the first run. I bought two of the first run when they came out as they're damn good jackets.

The difference between the first run and the current one...

First run:

NAWhNi0.jpeg

Current one:

b10-jacket-worn-side.jpg

Heaven knows why they changed the pattern and some of the details.
Help me out, please. With my one eye, I'm having difficulty discerning differences other than color. Is it shorter, too?

Smithy

Help me out, please. With my one eye, I'm having difficulty discerning differences other than color. Is it shorter, too?

The body pattern is completely different as well as the sleeve shape, collar shape, plus collar material, the exposed zipper on the current one, etc.

Sorry to be the harbinger of bad news as I said but the current version isn't a patch on the first run.

Brett did a review of the current version here on the site which highlighted these issues.

The first run are terrific jackets (although they're not a BR or RM) and come up on Ebay occasionally. I wouldn't sell either of my first run ones because they are that good for the price.

John Luder

"Buggers, Buggers, Buggers, Bollocks", in the immortal words of Hugh Grant.
Now I see the zipper difference. I was never good at those almost-duplicate photos where one has to see the slight differences.
It looked like the same color as my father's B-15, and like my stepfather's B-10 in the avatar, so I thought I'd be safe tekking down the color and a brass wire scuffing brush (for my suede wingtips) to rough-up the polyester collar.
Is it something that can be chalked up to the "proverbial" different manufacturers? Maybe I'll have to tart it up after all and wear during the cold and windy museum days out on the apron. Oy vay, Maria.

Smithy

"Buggers, Buggers, Buggers, Bollocks", in the immortal words of Hugh Grant.
Now I see the zipper difference. I was never good at those almost-duplicate photos where one has to see the slight differences.
It looked like the same color as my father's B-15, and like my stepfather's B-10 in the avatar, so I thought I'd be safe tekking down the color and a brass wire scuffing brush (for my suede wingtips) to rough-up the polyester collar.
Is it something that can be chalked up to the "proverbial" different manufacturers? Maybe I'll have to tart it up after all and wear during the cold and windy museum days out on the apron. Oy vay, Maria.

Sorry, I was in two minds about bringing it up but I thought it was better to give you a heads up before you received it.

I have no idea why Rollin completely buggered up the current run compared to the first one.

Bronson do a good "budget" B-10 if the sizing works for you.

Also if you see a first run ATF B-10 grab it, they might not have the proper alpaca lining but they're built like a brick shithouse and are great jackets.

BR and RMs can be found on the usual auction sites as well, just check sizing for your body shape.

John Luder

Sorry, I was in two minds about bringing it up but I thought it was better to give you a heads up before you received it.

I have no idea why Rollin completely buggered up the current run compared to the first one.

Bronson do a good "budget" B-10 if the sizing works for you.

Also if you see a first run ATF B-10 grab it, they might not have the proper alpaca lining but they're built like a brick shithouse and are great jackets.

BR and RMs can be found on the usual auction sites as well, just check sizing for your body shape.
Fore warned is fore armed. I appreciate the heads-up.
Never apologize for educating the igorant.
I saw a Bronson in the same price range, but I don't want the AAF decal. My stepfather's was bereft of same. And I can certainly see the covered zipper in his and other pix.
I will have to stand by and take a gander at the ATF before I plotz.
There was a ton of real surplus in the '70s when I started buying. I was, and am, 5'7", 135, 38 short suit. Not bad for 69. Now if I only had all the hair I had back then.
There was so much in my size back then because, either, I was the average size and there was too much made, or, everyone was bigger and the midget sizes like mine were never issued. What a pisser.
The used Eastman jackets are for 42 and above. And still out of my range. I could have spent thousands to fix my '65 Mustang, or buy jackets I can't wear in So.Cal. Let's see: A or B, A or B? Answer: B. buzzzzzzzzzzzz

Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.36.18 PM.jpeg

Smithy

Fore warned is fore armed. I appreciate the heads-up.
Never apologize for educating the igorant.
I saw a Bronson in the same price range, but I don't want the AAF decal. My stepfather's was bereft of same. And I can certainly see the covered zipper in his and other pix.
I will have to stand by and take a gander at the ATF before I plotz.
There was a ton of real surplus in the '70s when I started buying. I was, and am, 5'7", 135, 38 short suit. Not bad for 69. Now if I only had all the hair I had back then.
There was so much in my size back then because, either, I was the average size and there was too much made, or, everyone was bigger and the midget sizes like mine were never issued. What a pisser.
The used Eastman jackets are for 42 and above. And still out of my range. I could have spent thousands to fix my '65 Mustang, or buy jackets I can't wear in So.Cal. Let's see: A or B, A or B? Answer: B. buzzzzzzzzzzzz

View attachment 91187

Terrific photo, thanks for sharing!

MauldinFan

I may be wrong but I'm fairly certain that MauldinFan's one is one of the first run.

First run:

NAWhNi0.jpeg

Current one:

b10-jacket-worn-side.jpg
When I compare both of your photos, I can only conclude I do indeed have the first run as it's just not shaped as that second one.
I love my ATF B10. I used to own a handful of originals and it compares well with my memories and photos of those originals.
I just do wish I'd gotten one of the earliest ones that I've heard had the AAF insignia on the sleeve, before they decided to stop putting them on. They claim all the "bandwagon of brothers" 101st AB re-enactors were angry a screaming eagle patch looked bad sewn over the AAF meatball, but I have no idea if that was true.
It's my second favorite ATF anything, right behind my fleece lined tanker jacket.

Last edited:

Lord Flashheart

It’s -18c , you know your well seasoned with Canadian winters when after -29 you think
That -18c is a great day, still in the noble house woolly with my new messenger bag I built
View attachment 91177View attachment 91179View attachment 91181View attachment 91183View attachment 91185

At the risk of the odd rotten tomato, eggnog and spent .50 shell here your Noble House clearly works for the weather where you are Mike and right now that's what really matters. Like the bag too.

Brettafett

Where did you find such a nice name-brand jacket at a reasonable price? Ben Silver, in Charleston, wants a few hundred quid for theirs.
Merry Christmas to all.
They are over £300 in most places. I found some new, originals here...
Ultimately bought mine from this guy, bergogliolibri on Ebay - best fit, colour, price for me...

Smithy

Bit leftfield for here maybe but here in Norway the big Christmas pig-out/dinner is December 24 and it's a big deal here with everyone having to get dressed up which for the guys means suit and tie. I busted this bad boy out to wear over the top of my duds on the way round to the in-laws for the big festive spread.

This is the only thing I've ever bought from History Bunker and it's actually a really nice, very well made, warm and a good looking coat. It's actually a flying coat but it worked just fine as an overcoat over a suit on a cold Christmas Eve.

5UwHM2D.jpg

No jackets now, I ate about a kilo of roast pork, half a kilo spuds and about half a kilo of cloudberries and cream for dessert. Have to get out of the stretchy pants and do some exercise tomorrow!

John Luder

In case my ATF B-10 is a bust, I'm also looking at the Bob Dong, don't say it. And the New York Leather B-10.
You fellers have the eyes for this, so I'll ask your advices.
I will contact them after Christmas to ask what parts are made of what material. They're rather vague, stating "cotton, wool, polyester" or something along those lines. Their photo of the back of the coat won't open.
As I've noted above, I'm really more interested in no decal on the left shoulder. Patches can be attached with a whipstitch, and easily switched out. Same with leather squadron patches. I can run one thru the sewing machine to perforate it and whipstitch it on without long term damage to the fabric. Heavy leather nameplate is a slightly different animal in that regard.
They're supposedly on Long Island, in Huntington, NY.
A 38-39 chest is listed as a small. Confusing sizing.
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Good Flight (jacket).
Screen Shot 2022-12-24 at 6.58.59 PM.png