• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What jacket(s) are you wearing at the moment?

ties70

Ties
Is that Shawn’s premium horse hide ?

Hey Burt,

I am not sure what Shawn's premium HH is at the moment.
This is what he calls "Pull-Up" HH, of which I expected (due to the clear similarities in the name) characteristics of "Oil-Pull" HH.

You know, highly saturated leather with natural waxes and oils inside...we have something similar for our couches: Water buffalo hide, that ages beautifully but is rather indestructible...every scratch from the cats can just be rubbed of with a finger, the waxes inside the leather keep it soft and "heal" every superficial "injury"...

The FS Pull-Up is not at all like that.

It arrived rather similar but moderate rain and sun have taken most of the waxes out of the leather in no time. The sleeves still have that waxy feeling and the slightly shiny look, but the torso has become quite suede-ish in areas.

Protection against rain is non-existent, you will be soaked in a minute. it requires constant care (I don't use anything fancy, just bees wax or even SnoSeal).

On the pro side:
It's got a lot of character, beautiful color variations, differences in grain and structure, and it takes a good rubbing with bees wax without getting sticky.

Let me know if you need more information or close-up pics...of the jacket, of course ;)

Ties

B-Man2

Hey Burt,

I am not sure what Shawn's premium HH is at the moment.
This is what he calls "Pull-Up" HH, of which I expected (due to the clear similarities in the name) characteristics of "Oil-Pull" HH.

You know, highly saturated leather with natural waxes and oils inside...we have something similar for our couches: Water buffalo hide, that ages beautifully but is rather indestructible...every scratch from the cats can just be rubbed of with a finger, the waxes inside the leather keep it soft and "heal" every superficial "injury"...

The FS Pull-Up is not at all like that.

It arrived rather similar but moderate rain and sun have taken most of the waxes out of the leather in no time. The sleeves still have that waxy feeling and the slightly shiny look, but the torso has become quite suede-ish in areas.

Protection against rain is non-existent, you will be soaked in a minute. it requires constant care (I don't use anything fancy, just bees wax or even SnoSeal).

On the pro side:
It's got a lot of character, beautiful color variations, differences in grain and structure, and it takes a good rubbing with bees wax without getting sticky.

Let me know if you need more information or close-up pics...of the jacket, of course ;)

Ties
Ties
Thanks for the reply. The jacket looks great in spite of the issue with it soaking up water when it rains. I’m not sure what Shawn is using this days for his premium Horsehide either, however the unmatched goatskin jacket you have from him looks damn nice .

entertainment

LOL! ….
John ….. Optimistic might be a better word as I still haven’t worn them yet ;)
I just checked a book called "501: The Evolution of the Jean" that was put out by Levi Strauss. It says that the 1947 jean--i.e., the one actually produced in 1947 which is considered the archetype of the 501--had 12oz denim that became 14oz after wash. Jeans should not be a form of torture! :)

B-Man2

I just checked a book called "501: The Evolution of the Jean" that was put out by Levi Strauss. It says that the 1947 jean--i.e., the one actually produced in 1947 which is considered the archetype of the 501--had 12oz denim that became 14oz after wash. Jeans should not be a form of torture! :)
Interesting ….. so the process of washing them increased the weight of the denim from 12 to 14 ozs ? I never knew that could happen. Learning new things everyday :)

Nickb123

ELC Dubow. I have it listed for sale on TFL. No biters so I think I’ll keep it. :)
70502837777__014FAAD3-1C60-4C03-971C-9C89F68A1D58.jpeg