What is your holy grail jacket?

Discussion in 'Vintage' started by STEVE S., Dec 17, 2018.

1. Eastwood

Eastwood Member

For me, the holy grail clothing is not contracts or rare models, but clothes belonging to someone close to me, and with them a history close to me.
    Without history and man, a thing is just a thing, not a holy grail, no matter how rare this thing was.

falcon_ib and STEVE S. like this.
  2. Brettafett

Brettafett Well-Known Member

OK, no A-2s...
    A decent W&G M422 is on my essentials list. AN-J-3 would be nice...

STEVE S. likes this.
  3. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

4. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

Sammy Davis - not the singer but the racing car driver and one of the Bentley Boys - his flying coat which he was often seen in in the 20s and early 30s. It wouldn't fit me at all but what a piece of history.

5. Smithy

Smithy Well-Known Member

VillainOfNash likes this.
  6. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

whoa, this is getting interesting. kens link to the "barnstormer" jacket-coat reminds me of back in the day, aero had a us rep named mark dont get me started moye [spelling], and mark would accept jackets as partial payment for aero-scotland jackets. i sent him my "barnstormer" that my wife called the crazy artist coat, and he offered something like $200-$250 for it, since it didnt have a belt. i did the deal, as the coat had only cost me $60 many years before at a used clothing store here in nyc. same label, same fur collar, same everything. do i miss it? naw, even though it was in super nice condition, it was real heavy, cumbersome, and slightly big on me. coats of that design which had not changed since they were first introduced in the early part of the 20th century were around and cheap since ho one wanted them years ago.

VillainOfNash and STEVE S. like this.
  7. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

Sorry but I'm known for my eclectic tastes so an off the peg leather jacket will not do. I'd go for a bespoke Suffolk horseman's jacket [or suit] made by a worthy Savile Row establishment.

Sorry

STEVE S. likes this.
  8. STEVE S.

STEVE S. Well-Known Member

Don’t be sorry my good man! I asked what YOUR favorite would be, not what fits into a “popular with everyone else” box!

Micawber likes this.
  9. STEVE S.

I imagine region/climate had tendencies to produce certain styles in the vintage/second hand stores back in the day, eg, the barnstormers in NY. Growing up in FL, in a town that was grown around a Naval air base, there was a G-1 at every Sat. yard sale. Had I been a little older & knew what I know how, could probably have amassed quite a collection back then.

10. Tommy

Tommy Active Member

Repro of an M444, given that the orginals are prone to cracking

11. Ken at Aero Leather

Ken at Aero Leather Well-Known Member

We are curently working on a repro corduroy and leather trimmed Barnstormer, Shawl Collar in Shearling, hopefully these will be in our range in the early new year, first sample is finished just needs some minor fine tuning.

I have a small collection (half a dozen, maybe) of bespoke tweed suits from the 30s & 40s, my prized possession is a Bernard Weatherill of Savile Row, three piece from 1946, I've got to get round to relining the jacket as the original owner had a perspiration problem, nothing a reline shouldn't resolve, I hope!.
    Oddy enough this is another current Aero project nearing fruition that should be in our range soon, a British tailored proper 1930s three piece Tweed Suit in Harris and/or Donegal Tweed, no consessions to the modern look.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2018
    Geeboo and Micawber like this.
  12. CBI

CBI Well-Known Member

probably a nice sturdy wearer original Irvin

13. STEVE S.

I really like the combination of corduroy & leather together & look forward to seeing the final product. I restored one similar years ago & would have kept it, but the color of the cord was an awful pea/moss green....

Can’t beat the sharp, crisp lines of a 30’s-40’s suit. Something that seems to have been lost on many “production line” suits over the decades.

14. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Well-Known Member

uh, the only suits i own are wet suits, and a wool suit wont cut it where i where my suits.

Skip and STEVE S. like this.
  15. regius

regius Active Member

Among my collections, I’d say it’s the Jonathan Logan’s Jack Bauer jacket I’m custom black cowhide. Will post soon. Largely ignored and considered a costume but it’s a really really well designed 70s mod gangster style reef jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Micawber

Micawber Well-Known Member

Bernard Weatherill, now you are talking ;)

17. jeremiah

jeremiah Well-Known Member

I got wet suits and dry suits from my time as a river guide in Washington.

As for my holy grail. I don’t own it. But maybe an original aero contract.

18. STEVE S.

Yeah, if you went surfing in a wool suit, you would come out looking like a deranged llaso apso! :eek:

19. dujardin

dujardin Well-Known Member

i have a jacket in my head

in fact i already have the jacket

it's the one my father use to ride his bike (especially Norton)
    but i don't want to destroy her so i only keep her as ''fetich'' souvenir

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

i think a day i will request Mark to make an exact copy for me
    i already have different jacket Mark did for me and i love his job

just need to get some $$$$

20. B-Man2

B-Man2 Well-Known Member

The jacket looks cool but I would like to have the Norton as well:)

STEVE S., Lebowski and dujardin like this.