• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your holy grail jacket?

Smithy

Sammy Davis - not the singer but the racing car driver and one of the Bentley Boys - his flying coat which he was often seen in in the 20s and early 30s. It wouldn't fit me at all but what a piece of history.

Silver Surfer

whoa, this is getting interesting. kens link to the "barnstormer" jacket-coat reminds me of back in the day, aero had a us rep named mark dont get me started moye [spelling], and mark would accept jackets as partial payment for aero-scotland jackets. i sent him my "barnstormer" that my wife called the crazy artist coat, and he offered something like $200-$250 for it, since it didnt have a belt. i did the deal, as the coat had only cost me $60 many years before at a used clothing store here in nyc. same label, same fur collar, same everything. do i miss it? naw, even though it was in super nice condition, it was real heavy, cumbersome, and slightly big on me. coats of that design which had not changed since they were first introduced in the early part of the 20th century were around and cheap since ho one wanted them years ago.

Micawber

Sorry but I'm known for my eclectic tastes so an off the peg leather jacket will not do. I'd go for a bespoke Suffolk horseman's jacket [or suit] made by a worthy Savile Row establishment.

Sorry

STEVE S.

Sorry but I'm known for my eclectic tastes so an off the peg leather jacket will not do. I'd go for a bespoke Suffolk horseman's jacket [or suit] made by a worthy Savile Row establishment.

Sorry

Don’t be sorry my good man! I asked what YOUR favorite would be, not what fits into a “popular with everyone else” box!

STEVE S.

whoa, this is getting interesting. kens link to the "barnstormer" jacket-coat reminds me of back in the day, aero had a us rep named mark dont get me started moye [spelling], and mark would accept jackets as partial payment for aero-scotland jackets. i sent him my "barnstormer" that my wife called the crazy artist coat, and he offered something like $200-$250 for it, since it didnt have a belt. i did the deal, as the coat had only cost me $60 many years before at a used clothing store here in nyc. same label, same fur collar, same everything. do i miss it? naw, even though it was in super nice condition, it was real heavy, cumbersome, and slightly big on me. coats of that design which had not changed since they were first introduced in the early part of the 20th century were around and cheap since ho one wanted them years ago.

I imagine region/climate had tendencies to produce certain styles in the vintage/second hand stores back in the day, eg, the barnstormers in NY. Growing up in FL, in a town that was grown around a Naval air base, there was a G-1 at every Sat. yard sale. Had I been a little older & knew what I know how, could probably have amassed quite a collection back then.

Ken at Aero Leather

We are curently working on a repro corduroy and leather trimmed Barnstormer, Shawl Collar in Shearling, hopefully these will be in our range in the early new year, first sample is finished just needs some minor fine tuning.

Sorry

I have a small collection (half a dozen, maybe) of bespoke tweed suits from the 30s & 40s, my prized possession is a Bernard Weatherill of Savile Row, three piece from 1946, I've got to get round to relining the jacket as the original owner had a perspiration problem, nothing a reline shouldn't resolve, I hope!.
Oddy enough this is another current Aero project nearing fruition that should be in our range soon, a British tailored proper 1930s three piece Tweed Suit in Harris and/or Donegal Tweed, no consessions to the modern look.

Last edited:

STEVE S.

We are curently working on a repro corduroy and leather trimmed Barnstormer, Shawl Collar in Shearling, hopefully these will be in our range in the early new year, first sample is finished just needs some minor fine tuning.

I have a small collection (half a dozen, maybe) of bespoke tweed suits from the 30s & 40s, my prized possession is a Bernard Weatherill of Savile Row, three piece from 1946, I've got to get round to relining the jacket as the original owner had a perspiration problem, nothing a reline shouldn't resolve, I hope!.
Oddy enough this is another current Aero project nearing fruition that should be in our range soon, a three piece British tailored proper 1930s three piece Tweed Suit in Harris and/or Donegal Tweed, no consessions to the modern look.

I really like the combination of corduroy & leather together & look forward to seeing the final product. I restored one similar years ago & would have kept it, but the color of the cord was an awful pea/moss green....

Can’t beat the sharp, crisp lines of a 30’s-40’s suit. Something that seems to have been lost on many “production line” suits over the decades.

regius

Among my collections, I’d say it’s the Jonathan Logan’s Jack Bauer jacket I’m custom black cowhide. Will post soon. Largely ignored and considered a costume but it’s a really really well designed 70s mod gangster style reef jacket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Micawber

Oddy enough this is another current Aero project nearing fruition that should be in our range soon, a British tailored proper 1930s three piece Tweed Suit in Harris and/or Donegal Tweed, no consessions to the modern look.

Bernard Weatherill, now you are talking ;)

jeremiah

uh, the only suits i own are wet suits, and a wool suit wont cut it where i where my suits.
I got wet suits and dry suits from my time as a river guide in Washington.

As for my holy grail. I don’t own it. But maybe an original aero contract.

dujardin

i have a jacket in my head

in fact i already have the jacket

it's the one my father use to ride his bike (especially Norton)
but i don't want to destroy her so i only keep her as ''fetich'' souvenir

i think a day i will request Mark to make an exact copy for me
i already have different jacket Mark did for me and i love his job

just need to get some $$$$

B-Man2

i have a jacket in my head

in fact i already have the jacket

it's the one my father use to ride his bike (especially Norton)
but i don't want to destroy her so i only keep her as ''fetich'' souvenir

i think a day i will request Mark to make an exact copy for me
i already have different jacket Mark did for me and i love his job

just need to get some $$$$
The jacket looks cool but I would like to have the Norton as well:)