• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What hangers do you guys use?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
les_garten said:
I may do this too. Does anyone knwo where I can get 40 Manikins cheap!

Imagine ... it would be like having the Chinese Army living in the closet.

chinese-army.JPG

tgd31968

les_garten said:
You guys are abusing these Jackets!! Mine get rolled up and are used as Pillows, hang on hooks, and hung on "Vintage" period correct wood hangers!! My hangers are from the 40's!! My jackets don't know it ain't 1942 and that's how they like it.

You guys hang your Jackets on manikins, or Fancy Italian Sculpted PolyVinyl Chloride, or Scandinavian blond wood sculpted hangers are spoiling them. The next thing you know, you get caught in a rain sprinkle and your jacket will hire a Lawyer just like all these kids do now a days!!

I was thinking something similar. When I read the thread, I thought are these the same guys taking $800 jackets and putting them in washing machines and dryers to get them grainy so they look 60 years old? :D Nothing is more realistic than an a-2 that has hung on a wire hanger for the last 50 years.

Seriously, I just use a heavy wooden hanger when it is not thrown over the back of one of my chairs, or the exercycle I don't ride anymore. If that ruins the jacket, so be it. Probably part of the reason I wouldn't bother to collect originals. I don't want to have to worry that much over a garment.

grommet

I decided to resurrect this old thread since I have a couple of favorite vintage hangers I wanted to share. They may not be the absolute best thing for a leather jacket and I might not use one if I had a museum piece jacket (which I don't). These are largely from places either my or my wife's family lived.

005.jpg

009.jpg

012.jpg

025.jpg

024.jpg

Dr H

My sole Irvin (Links, 2-panel) lies flat in a zipped suit bag under the bed. The Perry A-2 is on a wide hanger similar to David's (from a tailor in Shropshire during the '30s). No towels, etc I'm afraid. I wear it so often that it would take me an age to get out of the house :lol:
Then again I'm perhaps less representative of most on the Forum as both jackets have to earn their keep day To day. Similar accommodation awaits the goatskin Perry..., but I'll alternate with the horsehide.

dmar836

It's very difficult to find a hangar in the Kansas City area. We might have found an open T-hangar yesterday but it was a 25 mile drive.................... Oh, wait....

MikeyB-17

My leather jackets all go on big, wide plastic suit hangers which you can get from most supermarkets. Sheepskins, when I have one, are either (like now) thrown down in the hall or dining room until it's time to put them on again, or in the Summer, rolled up in a bag in the cupboard with some cedar wood balls to keep the moffs away. I used to keep mine in an ELC AN-6505, but that one has become one of my gig bags and is in regular use.

oose

If you wanted to go for historical accuracy...the wire hanger is a must! :lol: :eek:

all the best
stu

B-Man2

Hello;

I found that a wooden hanger with a bath towel wrapped and taped around the hanger works reasonably well for filling out the shoulder areas and distributing the weight evenly.

I have some pictures but I've never posted any before, so as soon as I figure it out I'll post what it looks like with a jacket.

Regards
B-Man2

Weasel_Loader

I personally don't sweat it. Of course I don't own any original leather. My two GW A-2s hang on plastic hangers about 1" wide. They'll outlive me by a long shot before any hanger damages them. That is if I don't trade or sell them off for other A-2s. :lol:

JDAM

Full body form (with arms) manikin is really the only way to preserve a jacket, though said jacket MUST be worn for 3.14 days a month to keep in good, preserved order.