• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What hangers do you guys use?

srivats

Mods, first up if I am posting this in the wrong forum please re-locate it ...

I am getting a couple of leather jackets (a GW A2 and another) soon and I was wondering how you guys store your jackets ... what kind of hangers do you use? Can you also suggest where I can find a good one?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
srivats said:
... what kind of hangers do you use? Can you also suggest where I can find a good one?

When stocks got low, I bought 2 dozen, good, heavy, shaped wooden hangers ... measuring 2" at the ends.

I used the last one yesterday ....

To suggest a source, we need to know where you are. :)

Jaydee

I saw all different sizes of wood hangers, from small to huge in diameter at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day. Gotta get me some of those. I would suggest a wooden hanger that fits the top of the jacket well and drops off at the shoulder. Not before or after the shoulder, but right at the shoulder like your arm does.
-Jay

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Jaydee said:
I saw all different sizes of wood hangers, from small to huge in diameter at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day. Gotta get me some of those.

Good thinking, Jaydee ... here's the ones I bought.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product ... SKU=104707

Expensive though, I paid about half that after haggling ... don't laugh, they add up.

2715613168610P.JPG

Baron Kurtz

These are good suggestions. I searched high and low to find hangers that have a "shoulder" width of less than 17". Any more than hat and the ends of the hanger are deforming the upper arm leather. In the end, my local 99p store sells ones just the right size at 3 for 99p! They are certainly sufficient for my leather jackets.

bk

T-Bolt

I use a specialty hanger that I have only seen a outlets of The Container Store. They are plastic with a no slip rubber inserts and are made in Italy. They are quite wide and come just to the end of the epaulets at the shoulder seam......a perfect fit! The ends are nicely rounded and large to properly support the jacket over a wide area. This helps prevent stretching and distortion which can happen with many of the wooden hangers I have seen.

I have linked to the hanger so you can check it out. They are the best I have come across.

http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Pr ... D=10014595

Ted

Lignemaginot

I frankly never hang any leather jacket on a hangar, nor any of my "antique" cloth jackets.

On the original leather jackets, I don't do-up the pop-snaps at all. When storing them for any period of time, I leave the zipper undone and fold the collar into the jacket.

Geez, it's almost a hassle owning an old leather jacket - can't tell you how happy I am to have a new Goodwear that has the look I want, but in which I can kick around in (in the rain if I want!) and do-up pop-snaps til the cows come home.

Striker

Ted,

Thanks for posting the link to the hanger from the Container Store.

I was thinking about getting wooden hangers, but now I am thinking about getting the one you posted.

Striker

les_garten

deeb7 said:
Jaydee said:
I saw all different sizes of wood hangers, from small to huge in diameter at Bed, Bath & Beyond the other day. Gotta get me some of those.

Expensive though, I paid about half that after haggling ... don't laugh, they add up.

2715613168610P.JPG

I bought a whole collection of these off of Ebay for about a buck or two apiece. Mine are all rip offs from High end hotels and other places, so there is a lot of Nostalgia there as well. I have like 30 of them. Paid like $50 for the lot.

T-Bolt

Striker said:
Ted,

Thanks for posting the link to the hanger from the Container Store.

I was thinking about getting wooden hangers, but now I am thinking about getting the one you posted.

Striker

Striker,

Give these hangers a try and I think you will be sold on them. The ends are "swelled" significantly and support the jacket shoulders very well. The wood ones I have seen may be more classy looking, but they just don't support the jacket as well as the Italian made ones in question. I have pretty much phased out my other hangers and have gone exclusively to this type.

They work the best of what I have seen so far.

Ted

bfrench

Administrator
deeb7 said:
Jaydee said:

2715613168610P.JPG

Hi, Guys,

I take a hangar similar to Davids and grab as many white bath towels As I can ftom the linen closet and then triple wrap them around the hangar and then put the jacket on it.

It helps to spread the load over a larger softer area.

Bill French

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
T-Bolt said:
The ends are "swelled" significantly and support the jacket shoulders very well. The wood ones I have seen may be more classy looking, but they just don't support the jacket as well as the Italian made ones in question.

European styled hangers add class to any wardrobe. Contemporary blond wood with chrome hardware make these hangers beautiful and functional. Fully contoured to maintain garment shape.

In defence of my wooden hangers ...

Like I said, mine are shaped, and 2" at the ends ... not the older style, that are round topped, but flat in profile.

I have a few of the moulded plastic, that also swell out to ... 2" at the ends.

So I don't see how one material could out-perform the other. The jackets all look happy on their blonde wood supports.

Really it's just a matter of taste.

dujardin

this is the way i prefer for my jacket, i ''learn'' on this forum (old one) that hanger bring sometimes damage to our favourites jacket.

PICT0028-2.jpg

and with patience and a little bit search, you can found such a tailor manniquin for just a little amount.
this one cost me 30 euros (+- 50 dollars).

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

Andrew

I'm with Clive and Bill, I never hang my original Irvins or A-2's for storage- they lie flat in Ikea stiff sided suit bags (actually a type of box) and are taken out and inspected on a regular basis.

I have one of the oldies on display at any time and then it's on a padded out wide hanger that has polar fleeces wrapped around it to give it some body, then it has a shirt and service dress (for the Irvin) or shirt and tie (for an A-2) under the jacket- also helps with context. I also have a simple manequin torso and it's the best but it's received protests at home so it's gone in storage.

RIMG0053.jpg

My new jackets just go on timber hangers, but not as wide as Davids.

les_garten

dujardin said:
this is the way i prefer for my jacket, i ''learn'' on this forum (old one) that hanger bring sometimes damage to our favourites jacket.

PICT0028-2.jpg

and with patience and a little bit search, you can found such a tailor manniquin for just a little amount.
this one cost me 30 euros (+- 50 dollars).

byeeeeeeeeee marcel

I may do this too. Does anyone knwo where I can get 40 Manikins cheap!

les_garten

You guys are abusing these Jackets!! Mine get rolled up and are used as Pillows, hang on hooks, and hung on "Vintage" period correct wood hangers!! My hangers are from the 40's!! My jackets don't know it ain't 1942 and that's how they like it.

You guys hang your Jackets on manikins, or Fancy Italian Sculpted PolyVinyl Chloride, or Scandinavian blond wood sculpted hangers are spoiling them. The next thing you know, you get caught in a rain sprinkle and your jacket will hire a Lawyer just like all these kids do now a days!!

T-Bolt

David,

I agree with you.....it's just a matter of preference. I really like mine, but next time I am in the part of town where our local Bed, Bath, and Beyond store is, I will stop in and check out their current hanger selection.....I will take a look at the one's that you mentioned.

Ted