• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What CWU 36P is this?

Ghostgraz

Hello Guys,

I want to make a jacket based on top gun movies.

I would really appreciate your help with finding out what company and year could this jacket be.

I have seen many auctions with cwu 36/p and haven't seen any with this type of colour, stitches and gloss.

I am posting link at youtube with this jacket, doesn't make sense to take screenshots :)

Greetings

Skyhawk

Mav is wearing an older style CWU-36/P. It is impossible to tell exactly which company, but I would say it looks to be a 1990's jacket and could be any number of makers. The one on the video looks like an Isratex to me. Could be Valley App. Alpha, Creative... etc.

That version of CWU was made between around 1980 - 2010 - ish. Approx. dates. You can look it up for precision. After that, they went to a cloth like Matte finish material. Before around 1980, the CWU had a gusseted back like a flight suit or G-1 jacket.

Mav would have been issued a gusseted back type, but pilots can, and do get replacement CWU jackets.

ButteMT61

I have a couple here and I can take some shots of the labels later.
Mine are "vintage" as in ~1990's and I got them both new.
Cool jackets, but with a collar instead of knits...

B-Man2

I’m pretty sure that this is the one you’re looking for : made in 1986.
IMG_3093.jpeg
IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg
IMG_3094.jpeg
IMG_3095.jpeg
IMG_3092.jpeg

Ghostgraz

I’m pretty sure that this is the one you’re looking for : made in 1986.

This one looks fantastic for sure!

There is a small difference. In the video i can see stitches by the pocket.

1712225815301.png

Anyway thank you all very much for your replies.

Ghostgraz

I am certain now certain too that it its creative apparel. I got today my first jacket from Valley app.

I have 2 questions:
1. How did you guys get rid of the smell. The jacket is probably 20+ years old and my jacket stinks as hell ;D. Need to do something about the smell.
2. One question to the jacket from the video mb anthonyhie would know if that creative apparel is a bit gray? The colour in the video looks like gray to me, and wondered if it is only the light or for sure those jackets were in the different colour. My Valley app is all in olive.

Thanks and have a nice day.

ButteMT61

I got my NOS jacket with no smells, luckily...
I have a bottle of this stuff - helps. I spray and leave out in the sun on a hanger.
Usually a few days of this inside-out and outside-in will get rid of a lot of it.
Also, there are different batches of nylon and there was definitely variations in colors - even on the inside.
I would not be too worried about trying to match the movie - more important is how it fits and feels.
They're not terribly expensive, so if you don't like this one, try another...

Skyhawk

Wash it in the washing machine, gentle cycle with warm water and soap. Spray any stains with "Spray 'N Wash" before hand.
Hang dry until completely dry.

You don't want to do this too much because the knits can "Fuzz Up" but there is a remedy for that if it happens.

anthonyhie

I am certain now certain too that it its creative apparel. I got today my first jacket from Valley app.

I have 2 questions:
1. How did you guys get rid of the smell. The jacket is probably 20+ years old and my jacket stinks as hell ;D. Need to do something about the smell.
2. One question to the jacket from the video mb anthonyhie would know if that creative apparel is a bit gray? The colour in the video looks like gray to me, and wondered if it is only the light or for sure those jackets were in the different colour. My Valley app is all in olive.

Thanks and have a nice day.
1) sorry I never had bad smell…
2) The colour is a bit tricky because when we see it by our eyes it looks green but when capture by camera sometimes its looks grey. It actually somekind of olive or sage green depend of the manufacturer…
The creative apparel is definitely sage green