• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a whirlwind last 24 hours!

gruvi

ButteMT61 said:
alcon said:
Okay, I want to get this straight. It's not wise to keep leather in plastic bags but, it's okay to keep leather in hard plastic containers? What's the difference? I would love to store my leather (A-2s) in hard plastic containers with cedar for the summer. Is there any special way to fold them?

Plastic bags stick to the leather. A sealed "Tupperware" container with jackets wrapped up are fine - I've been doing it for years. The bigger the container, the fewer folds - which you want. Mine are big enough that they're just folded in half. I put them in a closet that's fairly cool all year. Thus far, no troubles. Not that it's the only way, just one good way.
Get a bunch of cheap, white pillow cases from Target or Sears, etc. Maybe the wife even has old ones lying around.
LOL, yeah but it is very likely I paid for those cases to begin with most of us will be thinking....so be sure we ask our wives first though :D

alcon

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm sure the wife (oops, I mean I) have enough large containers for my small collection of jackets. :D

ButteMT61

We may have paid for the pillow cases, but fellas - look in your closets! I for one am not going to gripe! :lol:

Vcruiser

I always had the understanding that leather jackets should not be put in plastic bags..or especially zipped plastic bags simply because the leather can't breathe. Otherwize..anything air tight is supposedly not good for leather. I don't really know exactly what harm this would cause...but I have often seen it recommended not to do so. :shock:

ButteMT61

Vcruiser said:
I always had the understanding that leather jackets should not be put in plastic bags..or especially zipped plastic bags simply because the leather can't breathe. Otherwize..anything air tight is supposedly not good for leather. I don't really know exactly what harm this would cause...but I have often seen it recommended not to do so. :shock:

Yep - but I also saw a jacket that my daughter had (a soft, shiny, fashion type) that stuck to the plastic (hanging bag) and it was ruined. I look at my stuff so often, a sealed container isn't really a problem, and I've yet to see any problems. BTW, when I do use moth balls, I place them in socks - you know, the ones that went in the wash as a pair and came out single! Putting them in socks keeps them from touching the jackets/sweaters etc. and they don't dissipate as quickly.