• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What a whirlwind last 24 hours!

gruvi

Hello Gentlemen!
I just wanted to share my latest buys over last 24 hours.
It started with finds and purchases in this order -

-Martin Lane G-1 7823D(WP) 1969 Seller states he was told real mouton, but looks like weathered Dynel
-Star Sportswear G-1 7823D(WP) 1970 I believe, but collar looks real mouton
-L.W. Foster Sportswear G-1 7823(AER) (patina'd) Year unknown and genuine wool cuffs are ready to install when it is here
-Irvin B. Foster and Sons Sportswear G-1 7823A (AER) 1960? Kept by seller and belonged to his Great Uncle. Comes with an amazing orange mouton

As soon as I can share photos I wil. I have sellers pictures but I know I can do better :)
Thanks for reading ;)

gruvi

KGrHqNg0E8h2LEJbBPLLtTSdZg60_58.jpg

KGrHqJHJCoE9NpbhhBPQqQLDKmg60_57.jpg

332321.jpg

KGrHqYOKiYE6MvLd2FEBOubH1Brhg60_12.jpg

So here they are in some parts, order as above. I dont really want to show much more until in my hands and get a little cleaning and conditioning if necessary.

Okay maybe you can see how rough the AER is right now. My plans are purely maintaining all the wear and tear with only a gentle cleaning and new wool period cuffs. What do you think?

33232.jpg

gruvi

Sellers of Star and the Irvin Foster had stories with the jackets. i am waiting to hear more details about the 7823A, and all I know of it for now is it was his Great Uncles and the Star was given to seller by his Cousin, an aviator, returned from Vietnam, when seller was 15 or 16. Seller told me he wore it while in Army, stationed in Germany and travelled all over Europe in it. Then he told me all the music concerts from Grateful Dead to Arlo Guthrie and Rolling Stones et al. its been through. And he also said he wore it as a busker (street musician). So that is all I got for now. Feel free to voice opinions. Thanks! ;)

gruvi

Chris217 said:
Thats a well used G-1..Thanks for the pics!
It looks as such I know. I love its worn charm and a light cleaning with new knits ought to make it very wearable. The 7823A is ready to wear so thats a plus. The D series are both described to be better than in photos, so a light cleaning of knits and leather with some airing out should sort them out well. Thanks for the input :)

gruvi

I see people are viewing this thread, so I hope I can get some replies with suggestions or critiques? I am trying to build a small flight jackets by era collection and to preserve them between wearing, is it okay to put them in plastic coat bags with a cedar block to prevent mothing? Anyone? Thank you :)
Gerard

Jason

You've had a fair bit of fun in that 24 hour period Gerard, well done. In one fell swoop you already have more G-1s than I have had at any one time in my life... not that is a bad thing at all.

I agree with your strategy of using period knit replacements where required, and gentle preservation. Hope you have fun wearing them. My pick of the bunch is the Irvin B Foster... I have one too (7823B version) and it is just superb!

gruvi

Thank you Jason.
I bought them this way also to see which fits the best on me. Any that are uncomfortable I will take to my local vintage store to see about trading or selling for another local hobbyist to get a chance of wearing. My frame is pretty flexible when it comes to vintage jackets in size 42 and smaller so if they all fit and I keep all, I need ideas on best way to keep them safe when not wearing. Any ideas to share?
Gerard
Jason said:
You've had a fair bit of fun in that 24 hour period Gerard, well done. In one fell swoop you already have more G-1s than I have had at any one time in my life... not that is a bad thing at all.

I agree with your strategy of using period knit replacements where required, and gentle preservation. Hope you have fun wearing them. My pick of the bunch is the Irvin B Foster... I have one too (7823B version) and it is just superb!

ButteMT61

No to plastic bags.
The jackets and sweaters I have that I worry about (wool) are in big plastic containers inside of a cotton pillowcase (one for each one)
Put in some cedar too.

gruvi

ButteMT61 said:
No to plastic bags.
The jackets and sweaters I have that I worry about (wool) are in big plastic containers inside of a cotton pillowcase (one for each one)
Put in some cedar too.
So do you mean in plastic containers like the type that roll under a bed? I have these type for blankets and such, although not air tight, is that ok? And do you put cedar blocks on outside of the pillow cased jackets or inside? Thanks for this advice

ButteMT61

Plastic containers you get at most stores for storage. They're air-tight enough - just need to keep moths out. I get cedar from a local home store - anywhere that sells wood/lumber. Just put some inside. Not in the pillow cases. You can use moth balls too - but getting the smell out can be a pain, while cedar smells good. Don't worry too much. Just keep it simple and use common sense. No plastic bags for leather...

gruvi

ButteMT61 said:
Plastic containers you get at most stores for storage. They're air-tight enough - just need to keep moths out. I get cedar from a local home store - anywhere that sells wood/lumber. Just put some inside. Not in the pillow cases. You can use moth balls too - but getting the smell out can be a pain, while cedar smells good. Don't worry too much. Just keep it simple and use common sense. No plastic bags for leather...
Okay, thanks for this tip! Sounds like it will really help preserve the jackets a long time with no worries, ideal!

RCSignals

You probably don't want true mothballs at least not the white ones. There is a crystalline product, I forget it's generic name at the moment, that works as well or better and the odor 'airs out' better when the garment is removed from storage

If you can find aromatic or Tennessee Cedar it is supposed to be the best Cedar at keeping moths away.

gruvi

RCSignals said:
You probably don't want true mothballs at least not the white ones. There is a crystalline product, I forget it's generic name at the moment, that works as well or better and the odor 'airs out' better when the garment is removed from storage

If you can find aromatic or Tennessee Cedar it is supposed to be the best Cedar at keeping moths away.
Thanks RC, I am already thinking of sticking to cedar, so I will see if my local stores carry this type. :)

RCSignals

Often the cedar chips sold for Hamster or Gerbil cages are made of aromatic/Tennessee Cedar. You can stuff some in an old nylon or cloth bag.

gruvi

Vcruiser said:
I think this may be very close to what they did during WW2... :mrgreen:
Im not so sure! Have you looked at the photo of my AER? That guy was bitter of wearing this jacket! :D

ButteMT61

Vcruiser said:
I think this may be very close to what they did during WW2... :mrgreen:

Only fitting for a custom jacket that's just like the ones pulled from a stack of jackets lying on the floor of a hangar :)

alcon

Okay, I want to get this straight. It's not wise to keep leather in plastic bags but, it's okay to keep leather in hard plastic containers? What's the difference? I would love to store my leather (A-2s) in hard plastic containers with cedar for the summer. Is there any special way to fold them?

ButteMT61

alcon said:
Okay, I want to get this straight. It's not wise to keep leather in plastic bags but, it's okay to keep leather in hard plastic containers? What's the difference? I would love to store my leather (A-2s) in hard plastic containers with cedar for the summer. Is there any special way to fold them?

Plastic bags stick to the leather. A sealed "Tupperware" container with jackets wrapped up are fine - I've been doing it for years. The bigger the container, the fewer folds - which you want. Mine are big enough that they're just folded in half. I put them in a closet that's fairly cool all year. Thus far, no troubles. Not that it's the only way, just one good way.
Get a bunch of cheap, white pillow cases from Target or Sears, etc. Maybe the wife even has old ones lying around.