• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome To “The Bargain Basement”

Kermit3D

You want photos of cyclist jackets ? don't encourage me... ;)

6u8wzfy4ghp81.jpg

18812711_1152941421477502_703008738159624192_n.jpg

15 kriegsmarine officer wearing a Hartmann jacket.jpg

Scan01.jpg

DKiG.jpg

image_4116073.jpg

image_4116070.jpg

Pips_Priller_Kurt_Tank_Wevelgem_Belgien_1942.jpg

image_4116065.jpg

109471908_108875080906325_2252356993166060532_n.jpg

B-Man2

Great photos Kermit !
I was surprised to see the photo of the Kriegsmarine U-Boat officer wearing the jacket. I guess that shows that the name “Hartmann Luftwaffe Jacket” really is a misnomer for that particular style jacket and that “French Cyclist Jacket “ is a more appropriate name.

Kermit3D

Great photos Kermit !
I was surprised to see the photo of the Kriegsmarine U-Boat officer wearing the jacket. I guess that shows that the name “Hartmann Luftwaffe Jacket” really is a misnomer for that particular style jacket and that “French Cyclist Jacket “ is a more appropriate name.
agree with you, it's a misuse of language.
I'm pretty sure the name "Hartmann jacket" is an ELC invention. These were cyclist jackets used by those who liked them : luftwaffe, kriegsmarine, wehrmacht, tank commanders, ... but also and above civilians, with no connection to the German army : cyclists, workers, resistance fighters, ...

In my opinion, the idea that this is a luftwaffe jacket comes from recent marketing.

Last edited:

B-Man2

agree with you, it's a misuse of language.
I'm pretty sure the name "Hartmann jacket" is an ELC invention. These were cyclist jackets used by those who liked them : luftwaffe, kriegsmarine, wehrmacht, tank commanders, ... but also and above civilians, with no connection to the German army : cyclists, workers, resistance fighters, ...

In my opinion, the idea that this is a luftwaffe jacket comes from recent marketing.
The jacket seems to have been very popular throughout France and Europe in those days. I’m sure that like much of the French clothing of the period, they were highly sought after by most young men of that era.

Enigma1938

It is such a strange feeling when I've worn my cyclist jacket the whole weekend long and put on my carhartt work jacket on Monday then. From super short and snug to long baggy and loose... two jackets style who cannot be more different

B-Man2

@B-Man2
Returning to the French cyclist jacket that you recommended. How do you feel about the "soft buffalo hide"?
My personal opinion is that it’s too thick for this type of jacket. If you’ve ever worn buffalo anything, you’ll know that it’s thicker than cow hide and really doesn’t lend itself to being used for a jacket like this or an A2.
Just my opinion John . :)

B-Man2

So …. In trying to revive this thread, I came across a jacket that really is worth being posted here in the “Bargain Basement”
It’s a “What Price Glory 37J1 “ USN early flight jacket made from soft but durable goat hide. I purchased one of these jackets last week at the very reasonable price of $175.00 US and I couldn’t be happier . The jacket is well made and the goat hide is very comfortable and nice to wear. The knits are seamless wool . I would definitely recommend this jacket if you’re in the market for a repro of the USN 37J1.
The interior of the jacket has a pocket but that does nothing to detract from the appeal of the jacket. There is one thing that I wasn’t thrilled about, they listed the jacket as being “Very Dark Brown” . Well … they didn’t lie about that fact . It’s Ultra Dark Brown, almost to the point of looking black when it first comes out of the box. In fact I had to walk it outside in the sunlight to confirm that it was in fact “Very Dark Brown ” However with a little sunshine and some fading this jacket will definitely have a place in my collection. So the choice is yours .
It’s your money ….. you make the call.
IMG_2827.jpeg
IMG_2828.jpeg
IMG_2829.jpeg
IMG_2830.jpeg
IMG_2831.jpeg
IMG_2832.jpeg
IMG_2833.jpeg
IMG_2826.jpeg

Last edited: