• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welcome To “The Bargain Basement”

mulceber

Great bag Jan.

It must have been mentioned somewhere, but MK VII gas mask bags make great everyday bags.
I've been using one myself for 4 or 5 years (an original).
There are some nice reproductions out there, but the NOS originals are easy to find for a very decent price.

... and besides it is Indiana Jones' bag ;)

View attachment 109659
Absolutely. It's amazing how many great, useful bags there are out there for a reasonable price (especially when the fairer sex is stuck paying what we would consider leather jacket prices for a bag that won't be nearly as durable).

JonnyCrow

Absolutely. It's amazing how many great, useful bags there are out there for a reasonable price (especially when the fairer sex is stuck paying what we would consider leather jacket prices for a bag that won't be nearly as durable).
Love those British ww2 gas mask and utility bags, I used to use them for camera bags a lot, as for the fair ladies paying a lot for bags, I have a wife who has more bags then you could shake a stick at haha :D

Kermit3D

Yes, and I didn't really dig into the subject but there must be other examples.

Concerning women's handbags, a line from the movie "Battle of Britain" comes to my mind ;) :

Group Capt. Baker : Section Officer Harvey!
[yells]

Section Officer Maggie Harvey : Sir
[walks up to him and gives a salute, which he returns]

Group Capt. Baker : Section Officer Harvey, I've noticed that some of your girls are now using the men's trenches during air raid practice. It's got to stop.

Section Officer Maggie Harvey : Sir

Group Capt. Baker : And another thing... Gas mask cases
[tapping Maggie's case]

Group Capt. Baker : They're for gas masks, They're not handbags. I do realize, of course, that female requirement differ somewhat from the male. Nevertheless that's no excuse...

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 21-05-51 La Bataille d'Angleterre (1969).png

Nnatalie

Hah! That reminds me is a sewing pattern I saw that was for essentially a combination gas mask bag and purse—the bottom was a box-type compartment to hold a gas mask, and then above that was a regular purse! I think it was in a “make do and mend” or gifts to sew at home booklet.

Dumpster D

These are an old standby for any Jacket with wool-knit cuffs. A used pair could be had from a local surplus store for about $9.99 retail back in the day. I'm not sure what you call them, Nomex Pilot gloves? Every time I got a pair of these, one of my friends would swipe them off me for their MA-1 Style Jackets (which was usually a hand-me-down jacket from my own stash) They're getting scarce these days. Very popular.

Gloves1.jpg

B-Man2

It’s been quite a while since anything was posted in this thread, but based on another thread regarding Hartman Jackets I felt that posting this option here in the bargain basement was appropriate. I purchased this jacket a few years ago, it’s not an exact accurate repro but for the price of $277.00 I think that it’s worth a look. It’s here in this link .

It should be noted that I had to darken the jacket to get it to this color after I received it.
As always : Its your money ….. you make the call.
IMG_2769.jpeg

Enigma1938

I stumbled a few times over such offerings in the last couple of years along with wrist watches containing genuine warbird parts or sheets etc. But I have my doubts about it because how the hell can you tell that the parts are genuine without being personally present when the pieces are cut out of a 109 or parts of it....
I can take a random 109 with serial number from some archives, take some scrap aluminium from the junkyard, making some fake certificates and voila.

Shanghai-Mayne

I stumbled a few times over such offerings in the last couple of years along with wrist watches containing genuine warbird parts or sheets etc. But I have my doubts about it because how the hell can you tell that the parts are genuine without being personally present when the pieces are cut out of a 109 or parts of it....
I can take a random 109 with serial number from some archives, take some scrap aluminium from the junkyard, making some fake certificates and voila.
It is totally possible :( I get a randomly piece of aluminum.

Kermit3D

It’s been quite a while since anything was posted in this thread, but based on another thread regarding Hartman Jackets I felt that posting this option here in the bargain basement was appropriate. I purchased this jacket a few years ago, it’s not an exact accurate repro but for the price of $277.00 I think that it’s worth a look. It’s here in this link .

It should be noted that I had to darken the jacket to get it to this color after I received it.
As always : Its your money ….. you make the call.
View attachment 140497
I like this leather.
The metal buckle is really nice ! Better than the two reproductions I have. I'd really like to know where they source this kind of buckle.

It's funny to see that how many copies of cyclist jackets actually copy the ELC "Hartmann" jacket. The shape of the pocket flaps and buttons are typical of the ELC jacket, which itself copies (one of) the real Erich Hartmann jackets. On most original cyclist jackets, the pocket flaps have a more angular shape, and the buttons are made of leather.

FlakMagnet

Looks nice. The shoulders look a bit too square for my liking. Is that a typical feature of Hartmann/cycliste jackets?

B-Man2

Looks nice. The shoulders look a bit too square for my liking. Is that a typical feature of Hartmann/cycliste jackets?
Good question ….. I’ve looked at several photos and they seem to have a squared shoulder look . Check these out and tell me your thoughts .
IMG_6379.jpeg