• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Happy Hooligan

The difference is that at this point with a bespoke Eastman or GW you're getting an item worth pretty much what the materials and workmanship and design are intrinsic to it. It IS worth $1000 more than a Cooper surplus store A-2 or G-1. With a Rolex you are just paying for "keeping up with Jones" and a name. There's nothing special about the watch now. It is not intrinsically worth $10,000 or more than a Seiko Tuna or Citizen Promaster. It's just a whole different thing- a cultural thing.
The materials between those two examples are pretty much the same. It's the workmanship as you stated that makes the difference. A robot making a plastic casio and a watchmaker with 40 years experience machining a swiss metal watch should cost different sums. I get you love your two watches, but you also put down people that had different watches than you. That is where I have issues. People here don't put down other people that own a Cooper or 5 Star, because we don't do that, or at least most of us don't. The same should go with accessories to the flight jacket.

ZuZu

The materials between those two examples are pretty much the same. It's the workmanship as you stated that makes the difference. A robot making a plastic casio and a watchmaker with 40 years experience machining a swiss metal watch should cost different sums. I get you love your two watches, but you also put down people that had different watches than you. That is where I have issues. People here don't put down other people that own a Cooper or 5 Star, because we don't do that, or at least most of us don't. The same should go with accessories to the flight jacket.
I'm not "putting anybody down"! Just stating an opinion. The Seiko Tuna is actually made from better materials than the Rolex as far I'm concerned- titanium. I'm not complaining about Swiss watchmakers "machining Swiss metal" (whatever that means- I'm sure robots do that) I'm complaining about Rolex creating huge sums of money out of the ether- it's the Emperor's New Clothes and everyone concerned has to go along with it! Please read the posts before you become offended.

Pilot

Indeed there are !!
Maybe …for me…
D056B1C9-F518-44BC-A3BD-0EFB58A10A29.jpeg
I still have to find it /them :)
3AE0799D-A155-44B9-9211-31BE820E9F3A.jpeg
FFA8CDBA-33E1-474C-A8A0-CF2DD6F3137C.jpeg

Last edited:

coolhandluke

Kudos to all the Rolex owners that didn't have a coronary over having their watches compared to a Seiko Tuna.

I'm not a huge fan of the brand, mainly because of public perception, inflated prices, and the demeaning games that you have to play to get one through an AD. But damn, there's a gigantic ocean of difference in quality between a Tuna and a Submariner, Sea Dweller, or any other watch in Rolex’s current catalog. To the degree that the Rolex should definitely be 10x - 20x the cost of the Tuna.

The worst aspect of the current Rolex market is that it's caused brands like Omega to increase the cost of their watches. A Speedmaster Moonwatch Professional with a sapphire crystal is currently retailing for $7600.

Last edited:

Pa12

So did we determine that seiko actually has a watch called “tuna”?. Seems like some pretty shitty marketing. I’d want a picture of Charlie on the face;)

coolhandluke

The Seiko Tuna is actually made from better materials than the Rolex as far I'm concerned- titanium. I'm not complaining about Swiss watchmakers "machining Swiss metal" (whatever that means- I'm sure robots do that)

Rolex uses 904L stainless (oystersteel) rather than the industry standard of 316L. It is both more expensive (2-3x the cost of 316L), but it is also more difficult to process which equates to added cost in production. Titanium is harder, lighter, and hypoallergenic to those with nickel allergies, but I wouldn't recommend it for a luxury watch that will be treated as an heirloom or meaningful investment. Repair service centers won't refinish titanium during normal service, and there are few independent options for having that done. Stainless is much more easily maintained, which allows you to have a better condition watch in the long run.

That all being said, you're ignoring the most important materials in the watch, the movement. An $80 USD Seiko 4R36 movement with an accuracy rating of -35 to +45 seconds per day cannot be remotely compared to an anti-magnetic Swiss grade chronometer.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I had a few Rolex’s in my day . But after traveling to Europe a few times and talking to some there about watches, I came home convinced that Omegas were the better and more accurate watches and the preferred watch brand of Europeans . So you guys across the pond please let me know if that’s accurate info .

coolhandluke

So did we determine that seiko actually has a watch called “tuna”?. Seems like some pretty shitty marketing. I’d want a picture of Charlie on the face;)

It was technically first introduced as the 6159-7010 or 6159-7019. The "Tuna" is just a nickname given by Seiko enthusiasts since the watch case resembles a Tuna can.

Happy Hooligan

I had an All titanium watch once, The IWC Porsche Titan. I think it was the first all titanium watch ever made, very beautiful watch but I absolutely hated the way it felt on my skin. It constantly felt "slimy" although it never was wet.

coolhandluke

I had a few Rolex’s in my day . But after traveling to Europe a few times and talking to some there about watches, I came home convinced that Omegas were the better and more accurate watches and the preferred watch brand of Europeans . So you guys across the pond please let me know if that’s accurate info .

I doubt that you'll see much difference in accuracy between the two brands nowadays. Pretty much any luxury or entry level luxury brand can utilize an in-house or third party movement that meets COSC standards.

That being said, I've always favored Omega over Rolex, simply because of the fact that they weren't Rolex. I honestly prefer something a little more under the radar. Hence the reason that this is my daily wearer...

20230317_173023.jpg

20230330_095602.jpg

20230301_154740.jpg

20230217_160007.jpg

Last edited:

B-Man2

I doubt that you'll see much difference in accuracy between the two brands nowadays. Pretty much any luxury or entry level luxury brand can utilize an in-house or third party movement that meets COSC standards.

That being said, I've always favored Omega over Rolex, simply because of the fact that they weren't Rolex. I honestly prefer something a little more under the radar. Hence the reason that this is my daily wearer...

View attachment 103423

View attachment 103425

View attachment 103427

View attachment 103429
Looks like a great utility watch that you dress up for all occasions . I like it because it’s understated and I think that’s a good look . These enormously big watches that seem to be in style these days, I think will eventually be a thing of the past in years to come , and maybe even the wrist watch itself may be in its last years and go the way of the phone booth.

coolhandluke

Looks like a great utility watch that you dress up for all occasions . I like it because it’s understated and I think that’s a good look . These enormously big watches that seem to be in style these days, I think will eventually be a thing of the past in years to come , and maybe even the wrist watch itself may be in its last years and go the way of the phone booth.

Thanks Burt. +1...on the oversized watch fad. I think we're currently coming out of it right now though. I see a lot of people gravitating towards 40mm and smaller case sizes. 36mm - 40mm should be the perfect size for 95% of the male population.