• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Watches to wear with your flight jackets...

Pilot

Greetings!
33668078-C8BD-4B0A-B15F-078F1522E5B7.jpeg

Pilot

Very nice. I’m just too hard on watches to make that investment.
Investment is the very best definition… paid 7KEuro in 2014…brand new all inclusive and full scope..,apparently now 20KEuro… and waiting 9 months or so….any bank gives you this or if you spend your €€€ in “cheap” any return?
Just asking :)

Pilot

Oh I know. My oldest brother is the watch guy in our family. A few years back he sold one of his Rolex watches and put his daughter through university ;)
Thanks a lot … glad to read about your brothe/ his daughter…Any plastic fantastic „ cheap charley „ offers this? No way.
I ordered two Daytona‘s in SS one black and one white dial…24 months waiting..,Rolex already offered a buy back deal of plus 45% plus..( two years )… Any better offer:) … and ..,NO… I keep both… unsealed unopened… let’s discuss again in 5 years.., ( unless China is nuked or will nuke… best possible investment :) )

ZuZu

A beautiful watch no doubt but for a microfraction as much my titanium Seiko weighs less, doesn't need a helium escape valve and has actually been used in the field of technical diving. It's also designed so that the huge watch fits comfortably on any size wrist. Mainly the price is silly- you are literally paying for nothing. The design is also so played.

Congratulations on having one though! You're lucky!

Pa12

A beautiful watch no doubt but for a microfraction as much my titanium Seiko weighs less, doesn't need a helium escape valve and has actually been used in the field of technical diving. It's also designed so that the huge watch fits comfortably on any size wrist. Mainly the price is silly- you are literally paying for nothing. The design is also so played.

Congratulations on having one though! You're lucky!
Years back , my “Rolex “ brother bought me and my other brother a Seiko chronograph watch each for Christmas. He sure as ahi wasn’t going to buy us a Rolex, but he figured this was the next best thing. They took a lot of abuse for many years.I’ve had really good luck with citizen watches too.

Southoftheborder

Investment is the very best definition… paid 7KEuro in 2014…brand new all inclusive and full scope..,apparently now 20KEuro… and waiting 9 months or so….any bank gives you this or if you spend your €€€ in “cheap” any return?
Just asking :)
The problem is Rolex not being able to keep up with demand even though they turn out upwards of a million a year. I bought my first Rolex thirty five years ago and I just walked in from the street and bought one. I sold that on for what I paid for it ten years later and bought another which I still have. But recently I fancied one of their Explorers so I just got back from spending half an hour with my nearest dealer. Or being interviewed really, to make sure I wasn't just trying to buy one to flip on Chrono24. I think it's taking the piss. I like them because they are good solid watches but the whole aspirational brand thing puts me right off.

When I rang this dealer a couple of years ago I had no idea that Rolex watches were now about as easy to get hold of as rocking horse shit, and I thought you could still - you know just buy them. Then after I found out that wasn't the case and he offered to put me on a waiting list I was insulted and didn't bother.

But now with the world economic slow down I might actually get one before I die without paying over the odds to some spiv - which I will not do. So I did put myself on their list. But I don't like it. It's not like Good Wear with one man turning them out, it's a massive company which encourages people to want a product they are unable to supply.

Pa12

It’s a thing, like so many others. Some people are into it, like my brother. And why not. If you can afford it and like it, go for it. I think my biggest problem is I get bored with a watch every few years. So a watch that will last me my whole life doesn’t wot for me.

Micawber

It’s a thing, like so many others. Some people are into it, like my brother. And why not. If you can afford it and like it, go for it. I think my biggest problem is I get bored with a watch every few years. So a watch that will last me my whole life doesn’t wot for me.

Aye it just think of all the bragging rights you have been missing out on :D;)

When all said and done you come into this world with bugger all and you leave it in the same manner.

I'm bed bound and feeling somewhat profound today.

Pa12

Aye it just think of all the bragging rights you have been missing out on :D;)

When all said and done you come into this world with bugger all and you leave it in the same manner.

I'm bed bound and feeling somewhat profound today.
Yes. It’s all the in between stuff you have to enjoy ;)

ZuZu

Too much?
I get them $$$€€€£££¥¥¥ back anytime ..with a big bonus… why too much?
I mean intrinsically to the watch. The watch is worth a couple of thousand in materials and workmanship at most. You're paying for the name only and for the businessman elite who keep the price up. A great investment yes but as a watch the design is so copied that it has no aesthetic value anymore. To be honest it's boring.
A historical Rolex is cool but again to get one you'll be paying tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for a beat up watch with a plastic crystal!
The world according to Jeff...

ZuZu

It's like, why buy a nice expensive handmade leather flight jacket when you can go to old navy and get a "jacket" for ten bucks? A jacket is a jacket right?
The difference is that at this point with a bespoke Eastman or GW you're getting an item worth pretty much what the materials and workmanship and design are intrinsic to it. It IS worth $1000 more than a Cooper surplus store A-2 or G-1. With a Rolex you are just paying for "keeping up with Jones" and a name. There's nothing special about the watch now. It is not intrinsically worth $10,000 or more than a Seiko Tuna or Citizen Promaster. It's just a whole different thing- a cultural thing.

ZuZu

I was told to stand down from an AK vs. AR argument but this is almost as good. Really I'm just kidding around. If I were a rich fucker I would definitely buy a Submariner 6538 restored...