• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Restorring HH - Now J.A. Dubow Refurb.

dmar836

Really? I was under the impression that the Dubow contract was one of the only ones to have that "purple" look. If time related, wouldn't many others have the same appearance? Ya just don;t see it on other makes. I'm just learning some of these subtleties myself.
Thanks,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
If time related, wouldn't many others have the same appearance?

I guess that Dubow used knits from a different source. Other knits do change colour over time, some dramatically, such as the green knits on blue nylon jackets. Even my 15 year old, blue Alpha Replica is now showing noticeable red tints around the edges of the cuffs.

Roughwear

I have handled many A2s where the knits have faded. However I do not believe the berry-coloured Dubow knits started life brown. I have replaced badly damaged knits on several Dubows and the areas of the knits not exposed to the light are still a berry/purple shade. Perhaps all Aero's rust knits started life as brown! :lol:

deand

I'm glad Andrew bumped this thread with his post. How is that jacket project coing? Did you replace the knits yet?

dean

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
I have handled many A2s where the knits have faded. However I do not believe the berry-coloured Dubow knits started life brown. I have replaced badly damaged knits on several Dubows and the areas of the knits not exposed to the light are still a berry/purple shade. Perhaps all Aero's rust knits started life as brown! :lol:

Andrew, I've looked at the examples on John's CD, and nothing there appears to me as a berry/purple shade, I would describe them more as shades of russet brown.

As for replacements, I still think any shade of brown would be a closer match than the bright berry colours offered by the repro makers.

dmar836

Well, I haven't found knits I'm happy with yet. the areas up inside the waist band appear berry-colored as well so I wonder if was really light or what. It does appear uniformly purple throughout, although I have yet to open the seams.
My thought was maybe to dye some more commonly available brown knits in an attempt to get closer to "purple" without going overboard.
I should have swapped out the knits on my GW Dubow before I sold it!

Roughwear

deeb7 said:
Roughwear said:

Andrew, I've looked at the examples on John's CD, and nothing there appears to me as a berry/purple shade, I would describe them more as shades of russet brown.

As for replacements, I still think any shade of brown would be a closer match than the bright berry colours offered by the repro makers.

David, There was variation in the colour of Dubow knits from brown through to shades a purple and red, but not as bright as the rust shade used by Aero. Check out this near mint Dubow.

http://www.historypreservation.com/hpas ... intage.php

Also the colour of the original waistband at the start of the thread is fairly typical of the shade used by Dubow on their last two contracts.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Roughwear said:
David, There was variation in the colour of Dubow knits from brown through to shades a purple and red, but not as bright as the rust shade used by Aero. Check out this near mint Dubow.

Yes, I had a look, that's what I call russet, or reddy brown ... purple (to me anyway) is more an eggplant colour, or red/blue.

I agree that the Aero rust shade is entirely different.

dmar836

Appreciate the dialogue. It's been really helpful.

I think my best bet is to try to duplicate the eggplant color(great term Dave!). I'm not afraid to dye the knits but not sure of the best quality starting point.

Here's a link to some knits on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VTG-WWII-WW2-A-...949?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6238aa4d

Anyone ordered these before? I've seen pics of the repro Talon zips and they don't look very good. Are these cuffs better quality? After shipping, $53. Returning wouldn't be a good option so..............

Thanks for any more advice,
Dave

PADDY_M

I'm sure JC appreciates a member who is doing such a fine restoration job on an old jacket. Why not drop him a line to see if you can purchase some Dubow appropriate knits (?). Great job!!