• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Was Restorring HH - Now J.A. Dubow Refurb.

dmar836

Okay, since the jacket seams to be taking conditioner well, I will post pics. This mistreated "rag" needs cuffs and possibly waistband and zipper. The zipper pin is gone but it can be zipped for display (which is all it will ever do - of course). My intentions were to "save" it from the certain brink of death.
Here it is as purchased. Dry as a gourd yet with areas of mold! I wouldn't post details yet as I felt a foolish for buying it. But I have high hopes for it.

IMG_6089.jpg

IMG_6050.jpg

IMG_6069.jpg

IMG_6064.jpg

IMG_6063.jpg

Truly sad condition - one of the worst I've seen sell competitively.
I wiped it down with a moist towel, getting into the creases and seams as thoroughly as I could. I applied Lexol pH but, as I went on, I was getting very little dirt out so I hurriedly completed the pH cleaning.
Here, I debated on whether to rebuild color on the highly worn HH or just add back moisture.
I had a bottle of Pecard's boot oil from about 10yrs ago that I had added some brown dye to at some point. It isn't very heavily dyed. I used that - concentrating on the most worn areas. I used a Q-tip to apply the oil around the painted portions and patch.

Here are a few shots half done.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6103.jpg

Can you tell which side was done?!
The mildew went away after the initial wipe-down. I was really surprised at how the name "Gene" on the breast really popped out after painting oil around it.

Here are some more today with all but one arm done with this "mix".

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6108.jpg

Plans are to let this soak in, then apply Lexol to further moisturize the HH. It will likely take a year or two of conditioning but I hope to see the mottled effect on the front even out as the leather comes back. Still not sure if I should treat the paint in any way. Once softer, I will replace the cuffs and possibly the waistband.

Comments, suggestions? ............................................ criticisms?

Dave
Kansas City, USA

dmar836

Arc,
Thanks a lot. I surely would have been beaten by the wife if I had purchased one in better condition! She actually appreciates the hobby and has a pretty good memory about the various items. While it will never have the value of a higher end jacket, I'm sure it will soon enough be presentable and worth 2-3 times what I gave. Of course I haven't sold any of my collection yet!
Dave
Kansas City, USA

TankBuster

Great work! It's amazing what a little TLC can do to original jackets. The artwork really pops out at you now!

Silver Dollar

I would have never felt foolish buying a jacket like this. This is a piece of history that no matter what condition it is in needs to be preserved and not passed down to oblivion. Great job taking care of this one.

Andrew

What a great jacket, 790thBS, 476BG. I used to have one from there too but no where near as good as that (no art). It's from the same Squadron as "Witchcraft". Excellent artwork and patch.

http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/flig ... _2005.html

I do still have however a hand made period period wood and plaster model of a B-24 from the Squadron which I presume was some kind of id or mascot. I'll try to remember to post a shot of it.

A RW I have was in similar but not so stiff nic when I got it and I slowly revived it with pecards. In hindsight I actually prefered the look of it dry, but I think it's prolonged it's life this way. I did however leave one stiff as a board forearm of one sleeve untouched so that I could compare the effect of the treatment over time. You have a nice find...

combo01.jpg

combo02.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

Great Jacket, I certainly would not feel foolish for buying it. A jacket like this has great character and if it could talk, a thousand stories!!!!!!
Great save!!!

dmar836

Thanks guys.
Andrew, thanks for the link and info. I'll have to do some more research.
I've searched the archives and found suggestions for FS cuffs, Ebay cuffs, and Eastman's work. Does anyone know of a source for the proper "purple" cuffs? Does GW possibly make these available?
Cheers,
Dave
Kansas City, USA

dujardin

splendid job, splendid result....

SPLENNNNNNNNNNN DID

can you tell me more about the bomb group and squadron and can you take a close up photo of the splennndid patch ????
many thanks
marcel

dmar836

Marcel, Andrew likely knows more.

Basics from the web: 11/03/44 to 05/07/45, 788th, 789th, 790th and 791st Bombardment Squadrons of the 467th Bombardment Group (Heavy) 'The Rackheath Aggies' with B-24 Liberators. Flew 212 missions losing 46 B-24 Liberators, had the best bombing accuracy record of the 8th USAAF. Group Commander Colonel Albert J. Shower was the only CO to continuously command one 8th AAF unit from leaving the USA to its return in 1945.

I was impressed that the group had the best accuracy record of the 8th AF.
I surfed a few sites and it appears the runways and hardstands are all broken up. The tower is redone into an office building and a remaining hangar now has a brick facade. If it were more complete, we would likely visit in Sept. just to get a few pics.
I just ordered a book on the 467th from a small publisher.
There was a 490th (M)edium operating in Burma flying B25s and B-26s. This was from the (H)eavies in East England.

Here's a pic of the patch - at first I wasn't sure what it was. Now, it's obviously a pilot with cap and seat chute pitching bombs. Kinda cool.

IMG_6119.jpg

Here's another from online:

467-bg-790-bs-patch.jpg

I'm happy there is some interest i the jacket - glad I got it.

Dave
Kansas City, USA

dujardin

many thanks Dave for the complement of infos and for the pics

yes, glad this jacket is your's, take good care..... happy owner ;)

byebyeeeee marcel

dmar836

Here's the jacket after allowing it to season for two to three weeks(after application of the Pecard's boot oil). It has a ways to go but, compared to the first pic I posted, it's much better. I no longer feel it might crack when I pick it up!

IMG_6140.jpg

IMG_6143.jpg

Next step is application of Lexol's conditioner.

Dave
Kansas City, USA

wvarnam

That's an amazing restore! Very well done ;)

I've just purchased an M-422a and an A-N-J3A which are in need of some TLC, although they still retain a good colour. Would you recommend regular pecards to do the job?

dmar836

I've only ever had the boot oil so I can't say. Others swear by it though. If they aren't too dry, the Lexol conditioner might be enough. Before you decide, a good wipe down with a moist cloth will do wonders.
Dave
Kansas City, USA

P.S. Still looking for the proper "purple" cuffs. Any tips from any of you guys?

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
dmar836 said:
P.S. Still looking for the proper "purple" cuffs. Any tips from any of you guys?

Real McCoy in NZ have them, but I don't know if they sell them separately. Since the purple colour is a result of time, and oxidisation, it's probably just as correct to use brown.