• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wanted pics. of WPG Irvin

John Lever

I have seen a photo of someone wearing on of these and was quite impressed. Do any forum members have detailed shots of them wearing one and can write a review ?
Thanks,
Are the seam tapes and belt made from leather ?

Jason

Here's my lot of photos from a few years back:

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y193/mitaux8030/WPG Irvin/

There's a few photos that compare the WPG to a real (Links?) Irvin to a B-3 collar. The fleece by design is shorter and less dense than the real thing, but looks convincing. The tapes & belt are made from real leather. One complaint I did have was that the zips have sharp top edges on them, and could cause wear or even tearing to the finish if they come in contact.

fleet16b

John

I also had one as I travelled the "Irvin highway" looking for a good replica.
The WPG example was not bad for the price.
Much softer and worked in compared to the ELC Irvins.
I agree with Jason that the zippers were very sharp edged.
Also most of the people I know that bought them all complain about the main zip. It starts to fray at the male end and becomes difficult to zip up. This happens quite fast within about 2 month of winter wear.
The seams I thought were covered by leather but were actually very convincing fake leather material
Still all in all for $350 an excellent Irvin for someone that does not want to spend huge $ . Just change the main zip.
I sold mine for $200 to a buddy and he is happy enough with it.
Comparing it to my ELC B of B , the ELC is miles and miles ahead and better yet is my original links. It fits and looks better than ANY repro I have seen in existence.
I wish that ELC would make an Irvin example with the more rounded Links collar. That would be the ultimate repro Irvin to me. IMHO that collar looks much better than the more common square collars

Cam

Dr H

My feeling exactly Cam. My early pattern (2-panel) Links fits exceptionally well, is well constructed and robust. The colour is strong and it has aged beautifully. There might be better examples from other manufacturers (in terms of prestige or rarity) but I think the collar profile sells it to me (in the same as the neater Perry collar on the A-2).

Roughwear

The WPG jacket is a budget Irvin of inferior quality and it is unlikely to meet your exacting standards John.

Ian you seem to be a rounded collar chap! I prefer the square collar ends found on IAC, Wareings and DGL Irvins, but its a personal opinion. :)

Dr H

What can I say Andrew? Guilty as charged... ;)

John, go for an original - let the search for the perfect repro go...and enjoy! :D

Dr H

Kidding, kidding - only commenting on the wishlist ;)
Seriously though, PM with a price range and I'll let you know if I come across anything suitable while trawling...

John Lever

This is the pic. that set me off. I found it in a Google search, did another search using some key words I discovered on the owners photobucket page, traced him to the Straight Dope message board, contacted him and got all the info I needed within the hour.
I was 100 % convinced it was an Eastman. From the photo it looks like a very nice jacket.
llaaksonenIrvin.jpg

I would guess that WPG copied from an Eastman rather than from an original.

rich

Wasn't there a lot of info about the WPG on the Irvin Nuts thread over at TFL? What I mostly remember from it was, you gets what you pays for....... can't see that it's going to do it for you John.

Vcruiser

John Lever said:

Wow...
How often does one see flipflop sandals with and Irvin..?! Isn't that kinda contradictory..in a sense..? I submit..even worse than an A2 with pajama bottoms...

Roughwear

The WPG Irvin looks somewhat tight on this chap. The design is based on a typical mid War Irvin. The wide belt loops and square collar a similar to Wareings, but the seam tapes wide like those seen on some Links jackets.