• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Waltham A-17 pilot watch

bazelot

Got myself a Waltham A-17 for avery reasonable price. Do you guys know the year of manufacture?

A172.jpg

A17.jpg

bazelot

I assumed it was 1950 something. i would love to know the correct date though. I am more a WWII kind of guy but I think the A-17 is one of the most beautiful watches out there.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Another find at the swapmeet today was a Waltham A-17 watch. My web search on this has been baffeling to say the least. The back of the watch is stamped "A-17, specification mil-w-6433, mfr's part no.10610-cs-12-24, mfr's serial no. 00132, order no. da-36-038-ord-8290, stock no.6244-10616-cs-12-24, waltham watch co., u.s.property. The inside serial number is Q61755 it is also marked 6/0 D and 17 jewels. As best as I can tell this makes this a first run 1950 Waltham. I have not seen any other pics of any A-17 with this type of second hand and all others I have seen pics of have an AF date of manufacturer, this watch has no such date. Does anyone have any further info that can help out on this?

Wehrmacht-Awards Forum

bobbyball

Coincidentally, I have just bought a Bulova A17A with the hack movement. It is in a parkerized case (dull finish stainless steel).

I think the Waltham is slightly earlier in date although mine has identical hands and face arrangement as the Waltham. I believe the A17 dates from around 1948 as the replacement for the ww2 A11.

From what I have managed to find out, your Waltham looks to be late 1940s. If the case is chromed and brass then it is early as they changed over to steel cases from the late 1940s/early 1950s.

I collect military timepieces and these watches are superb value. The movements are high grade (often 17 jewels and sometimes 15 or 16) and have what I would regards as chronometer grade movements. I picked mine up on ebay for a song and it is in mint condition with the original crystal.

Not sure about the Waltham, Hamilton and Elgin varieties, but the Bulova has a separate movement cover and shock resisting housing inside a very sturdy case – brilliant IMO. I think these are the watches to collect for the future as they are considerably cheaper than the Omega, JLC and IWC military watches which require a mortgage to get hold of!

bazelot

THank you for all the information guys. It looks like it's a 1950 watch (perfect Korean war watch then). Here is what I got from another forum:
"Your Waltham A-17 was assembled in 1950. Waltham made 3 lots of this watch, 1950, 1952 and 1956. The watches made in 52&56 have the year as part of the serial number on the caseback (AF52-00000,etc."
I learn everyday!

Bobbyball, yes those watches are completely underrated. To my mind they are the best looking and watches ever made. I am not a big fan of the radium in them though. My daily wearer is a WWII Navy pilot watch that has been stripped of its radium. I do not think I would wear a A-17 as a daily wearer if it hasn't been stripped of its radium and re-lumed.

bobbyball

Yes, they are Radium lumed but it was used in such small amounts, the dangers (especially after all this time) are pretty insignificant. The lume on my Bulova is long inactive (watch is dated 1959).

I love these watches and I know the Waltham is slightly larger in size which is IMO preferable. Well done on your purchase.

bazelot

bobbyball said:
Yes, they are Radium lumed but it was used in such small amounts, the dangers (especially after all this time) are pretty insignificant. The lume on my Bulova is long inactive (watch is dated 1959).

I love these watches and I know the Waltham is slightly larger in size which is IMO preferable. Well done on your purchase.

The half life of radium is 1602 so even though the compound does not glow anymore because the metal parts in the paint decayed the radium is still there. Granted they did not use a lot but I still don't trust the stuff :)